Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

17

Evangeline walked through corridor after corridor, her eyes wide with terror and pain as her most precious memories of her beloved brother displayed themselves before her eyes.

She wandered, in mind and in body, tears relentlessly pricking at her already glossy eyes.

Atlas she slowly, cautiously approached two large wooden doors, guarded by two of her father's guards.

She simply watched the doors she was far too afraid to open, she watched them as though she were watching a plant grow.

Evangeline nodded absentmindedly at the two men, adorned in burgundy, black and white, bearing her family crest upon their chest's, a growling wolf.

They slowly opened the door, revealing the candle lit tomb of her dear brother, Matthew.

She swallowed hard, stepping into the empty room, her eyes only upon the stone risen from the cold castle floors, the stone where her brother would rest for all eternity.

She fell to her knees softly, the frown tugging cruelly on her dark red lips.

The guards shut the doors once more, only masking her cries slightly.

Evangeline shakily and slowly grazed the stone with her fingertips, her heart ripping up her chest from the inside.

One after the other, tears began to fall and the whole of her chest pulsed and ripped open more than before.

A lump in her throat grew as she surpressed her cries and the only way she was allowed to breathe once again, would be if she let them go, let them escape from her lips.

She cried a chestripping sob, the fire on the tips of the candles grew in size and consumed the air about them.

Evangeline cried a counter spell, watching the tears fall onto her bony pale hands, which rested lifelessly on her lap.

In that moment she hated being a sorceress, she hated everything about herself, she felt helpless, despite her great power.

She could do nothing to bring him back, she could do nothing to repair the emptiness inside of her.

She felt so small, so worthless. He had done so much for her and she could do nothing for him.

Evangeline gazed upon his helmet, sword and shield, which rested on top of the gray stone.

Slowly she closed her eyes, although that did not prevent the tears from escaping.

''I wish you were here...'' She whispered, pained. ''... More than anything, I wish you were.''