Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

21

The Knights followed a cautious Prince Arthur, their crossbows and spears at the ready as they gingerly walked the forest floor.

Merlin casting nervous glances at Arthur every other second.

A lion's roar thickly filled the air around the trees and heavy thumps were shaking the ground beneath them.

Some of the Knights coward behind Arthur, but Merlin, the Prince and Sir Leon were far from backing down.

Sooner than they would have liked, the beast came into view, baring its terrible teeth.

It stood several feet longer than them and with a shout, they lunged their spears and swords at the beast, but it simply bounced off of his chest and fell to the ground.

Sir Leon let go a few arrows, but it had no effect, they began to panic, rushing Arthur and the Knights ran away as it chased them.

Their hearts racing as they ran through the forest, the dreadful beast close behind.

They were cornered, they had ran so far that they had no choice but to stop abruptly at the shore of a large lake, the beast was still coming.

Nervously, they turned to face the beast, preparing the weapons they did have.

The long large wings of the beast straighten out beside him and he used them to knock more than half of the Knight into the lake.

Merlin edged further away from the beast, watching it intently.

He swung his talons and swipped at Arthur chest, causing him to fall with a groan.

Merlin tried to think, what had Evangeline told him could kill it?

It was now or never, all the Knights and the Prince were unconscious.

He nearly shouted in glee, remembering what Evangeline had told him.

''A creature born of magic can only be killed with magic. This beast especially has a weak spot, fire will be is him doom.''

Merlin quietly spoke an incantation. ''Cume her fyrbryne!'' And fire consumed the roaring beast.

He rushed to an unconscious Arthur, turning him over on his back as he placed his hand over his wounded chest.

''Gestande hole, purhhaele!'' Merlin tried to heal him, even though Evangeline had told him the beast was poisonous and once he had been bitten or cut by the beast, he was lost.

*

Trumpets blew wildly outswide of the castle and Morgana and Evangeline rushed to the town square, the Knights and Merlin galloped in, but Arthur was lying across a horse, unconcious.

Morgana let out a choked sob, covering her mouth.

Evangeline rushed don the many steps to Merlin, who was downcast and somber.

''What happened? Are you alright?'' She inquired, helping Merlin down from the horse.

''I'm fine. I can't say the same about Arthur. It happened just as you made it would, I'm so sorry, Evangeline.'' His eyes were beginning to water.

''It's not your fault!'' She hugged him.

''I tried to heal him.'' Merlin mumbled into her shoulder, his eyes dripping with tears.

''You are not to blame, Merlin, our magic is useless against the venom of the Fyr Deor! It would have to be a very powerful spell to heal him.'' She soothed as Morgana at long last came stumbling down.

They pulled away and Merlin ruswhed to help take Arthur to Gaius, the court pyschian.
Morgana and Evangeline followed begin, careful to be out of the way.

*

Gaius shooed the other's away, leaving just Merlin, Morgana, Evangeline, Himself and an unconscious Arthur.

Evangeline felt strange, far different that she ever had in the presence of Arthur Pendragon. She felt... worried. She blamed it on the simple fact that she would not wish anyone to die.

Gaius did all he could for the sleeping Prince, but his brow was hot and sweating and under his closed eyes were raw and pink.

A few burly Knights carried him to his chambers, were Gaius requested someone be with him at all times, dabbing his forehead with a damp cloth.

The King was in ruins, Gaius had explained the situation and he hardly left his sons side.

Evangeline lightly knocked on the Prince's door, hearing the breaking voice of the King, granting her entry.

''My Lord, you should get some rest.'' She swallowed her hatred for his decisions and attempted to be sympathetic.

''I can't leave him.'' The broken King spoke.

''I will be with him, no need to worry. You need to be strong for tomorrow.''

Reluctantly, he took the foreign Princess's advice and left, vigorously wiping his tears as he did so.

She slowly took the seat next to him, refusing to look at the Prince as a strange feeling swelt up her chest and throat.

She only just realized what the fuss was about, she had never considered him handsome but now... she had to admit, he wasn't all bad.

Evangeline dabbed the damp cloth over his brow, just as Gaius instructed.
The next morning, Morgana woke her up, she had fallen asleep.

Gaius checked up on him, regretfully informing them that the Prince was groing weaker and weaker by the second.

Evangeline's heart began to race as she remembered a certain spell, a very powerful spell indeed, she subtly rushed everyone out, his friend and fellow Knight, Sir Leon and Gaius.

She took a deep breath, looking around everywhere to make absolutely sure no one was there, she rest her hand over his chest, her shaky hand hovering over the bandaged and bleeding chest.

''Ic pe burhhaele pin licsare mid pam sundorcraeftas paere ealdap ae!''
He stirred peacefully in his sleep, a small smile tugging on his pale lips, they were slowly regaining color.

Her heart was ripping at her chest and it took all she had to restrain from kissing him in glee. She didn't want her friends to suffer, at least that's what she convinced herself of.

''Merlin!'' She waved him over, a smile taking it place on her full dark lips.
Merlin rushed over, his eyes wide.

''I-I've done it.'' She breathed, gesturing to Arthur.

Merlin looked at her with twinkling blue eyes. ''You did it!'' He embraced her tightly, happy
tears slipping down his cheeks.

Gaius came in that very moment, puzzled by their happiness.

''Gaius! You've done it!'' Evangeline rushed toward him, he was as confused as ever.

''I haven't done anything...''

''I think you did, Gaius.'' She winked and at last he understood.

He nodded, winking back and beaming at a happy Merlin and Evangeline.

''You should inform the King of your success!'' Evangeline encouraged, smiling with such joy.

She as happy Merlin had told Gaius of her powers, he was a good man.

Merlin insisted that Evangeline stay while he went for Morgana, she reluctantly yielded, turning to look at a very much alive Prince Arthur.

His eyes still closed in rest, she took a seat nearest him and played with her fingers, proud of herself.

A groggy voice snapped her from her thoughts and she glanced over at Arthur, who seemed to have been watching her for a moment.

''You were right.''

''I find that I usually am.'' She refused to act differently, she had no desire to expose the slight change in her feelings toward him.

He cracked a smile, attempting to sit up.

''Best stay down.'' She advised, turning her attention back to her fingers.

''Your Father, Merlin and Morgana are coming.'' She informed casually.

''The person I want is already here.'' He spoke, his voice soft yet passionate.

''Yourself?'' She asked coolly, ignoring the odd sensation that disturbed her stomach.

He frowned, she was so keen to hating him.

''I heard you... talking.'' He changed the subject, his chest was throbbing in pain, not only because of the still fresh wound, but also because of her close proximity and the simple fact that she was by his side while he was sick.

''Oh?'' She attempted to remain calm, but couldn't help panicking inside. What if he had heard her using magic?

''You were speaking... in a strange sort of made up language.''

''Gaius said you would be a bit hazy when you woke.'' She easily lied. ''Here.'' Evangeline offered him a goblet of water, careful his fingers did not brush against her hand as he took it.

She wondered what was taking them so long, casting nervous slightly annoyed glances at the door. She wanted to go so terribly much.

Evangeline looked back at him upon hearing him call her name.

''What?'' She asked, a bit sharply.

He leaned across the distance between them and kissed her softly, he hardly felt the pain of adding strain to his wound, he could hardly think at all.

She seemed to care for his safety and he took that and ran. He prayed and endlessly wished she felt the same way that he does.

She was so shocked, she just sat there, rigid. Her eyes wide as she recovered herself.

She pushed him away, wiping her mouth and hiding her face in her hands, she felt ashamed of herself, even though she hadn't kissed back. She felt that she was betraying her brother and she felt sick to her stomach.

She choked on a sob as she ran from the room, she hated herself for feeling the way she did when their lips touched.

Arthur sunk back into his bed, sighing miserably as he tightly closed his eyes.