Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

22

''Evangeline!'' Morgana caught up with her distressed, distraught friend, lightly touching her arm.

''What happened? Merlin and I saw you running out of the room.'' She asked once Evangeline had stopped.

''I-... My- brother... He killed my brother.'' She refused to look at Morgana, she was vividly aware of the tears and confusion displayed on her face.

Morgana frowned, puzzled by her friend's strange behavior. ''I'm sorry, Evangeline. I know it still hurts.''

''But he-... He kissed me. He can't. He murdered my brother, how could he think that's okay? I'm so ashamed.'' She hide her face in her hands once more, emotionally drained.

Morgana's eyes widened in shock. ''He kissed you? The boy is clueless!'' She shook her head, patting her friends shoulder gently.

''You have no need to be ashamed, he kissed you. Besides, your brother said not to blame Arthur or yourself. I'm not telling you to let it go though, know that.''

Evangeline nodded, wanting an excuse to leave. She didn't fancy company at the moment, although she was too kind to say.

''Merlin told me what you did, I can't thank you enough. I know how difficult it must have been.'' Morgana frowned sympathetically, squeezing Evangeline's hand gently.

''I did it for you two.'' Evangeline smiled a small smile.
Morgana's eyes softened all the more, and she briefly hugged her friend before letting go.

''I'm sure you want to see him?'' Evangeline asked, ready to collapse on her bed.

''Are you sure you don't need company?''

Evangeline nodded. ''Quite so. I'll be fine.'' She assured, pulling on an unconvincing smile.

Morgana reluctantly waved goodbye, leaving in the direction of Arthur's chambers. She knew
Evangeline wanted to be alone, no matter how much Morgana wanted to stay with her.

Evangeline left at once for the furthest place from him, angrily wiping a few stray tears from her face.

The next day came as dreaded as an execution date and Evangeline did all that was in her power to avoid the crowd Prince. Of course that wasn't all easy, though she wasn't going to allow him to ruin her trip to see her best friends.

She was happy he was bed ridden for a few days, that way he couldn't pop up unescpectedly or seek her out.

''I think you should talk to him.'' Merlin encouraged, sick of Arthur's foul mood.

''Why? I have nothing to say.'' She stubbornly crossed her arms over her chest.

''Honestly? I'm tired of his silence. All he does all day is frown, he doesn't even get upset when I call him fat.''

Evangeline couldn't restrain a small smile, despite her melancholy.

''I hate you.'' She pouted when a smile of his own spread across his face, proud of himself for making her smile.

''I can never be miserable with you around.''

''Good.'' Merlin grinned.

''Merlin, Arthur is calling for you... more like shouting, anyway.'' Sir Leon rolled his eyes lightly from his place outside the open door of Gaius's chambers, though a small smile tugged on his lips.

Merlin sighed, stretching and reluctantly leaving.

Evangeline waved goodbye to Sir Leon, who bade farewell with a blush.

Slowly Evangeline left the court Phsychians chambers and idly walked corridor after empty corridor.

Finally she stopped outside her door, which unfortunately was right next to Arthur's and even more so unfortunately his door was open and he saw her walk by.

''Evangeline! Evangeline, please!''

''Leave me alone!'' She slammed her door shut, clenching her jaw angrily.

She could loudly hear Merlin and Arthur shouting, it sounded as if Merlin was trying to get him to stay in bed.

Within moments the shouting ceased and her door was being pounded on.

''Go away!'' Evangeline closed the deep purple curtains of her four poster bed, hiding behind them as she sat on her bed.

The doors swung open at once, and then the curtains of her bed.

There stood Arthur, looking weak but fierce and determind.

''I'm sorry that I kissed you and I'm sorry that you hate me. I'm sorry for everything!''

''You should be!'' She glared up at him, her heart pounding viciously in her chest.

He sighed, dropping his eyes to the floor.

''Why are you here? Get out. You're not even supposed to be out of bed.''

Arthur looked back over at her, his heart pounding in his chest painfully. ''I had to speak to you, to see you. When you were gone I died a little everyday. I feel...'' He took a deep breath, a faraway look in his eyes.

''I feel so strange when I'm around you, or whenever I hear your name and I can't stand it because I know you'll never feel the same and it hurts... far to much for me to bare.''

Her heart plummeted up her throat and lodged itself there, she could feel her heart pulsing through her fingertips and she hated every second of it.

''Stop! Please, stop! I-I... Go away!'' She could hardly see for the tears clouding her vision.

Though she did not get him time to leave, she left herself, sniffling and running down the corridor.

She hated how those words made her heart race and how she can barely suppress a shiver when he looks her in the eyes.

When did this happen? She asked herself, wishing she had never met Arthur Pendragon.