Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

24

Merlin had to leave his conversation with Morgana and Evangeline, the Prince, it would seem, had gotten a bit carried away with the wine.

He staggered over, mumbling about hunting trips and training practice.
Merlin rolled his eyes, sighing.

He took Arthur out of the festival hall and helped him to his chamber, where the Prince stumbled for the last time, he stumbled right into his bed, well, close to his bed.

Grunting from the fall, he shakily stood, looking at Merlin with a crazy twinkle in his eyes.

''You! Meerlin, are a great servant!'' He slurred, smacking Merlin's shoulder in a should-be encouraging way, though it just hurt.

Merlin nodded vaguely, if he wasn't sure before of Arthur's drunkenness, he knew now.

''In fact! The best one I've had. And I've had a lot of servants.'' Arthur wiggled his pointer finger, his brows up as far as they could.

Merlin smiled lightly, he allowed himself to enjoy the words Arthur spoke, he wouldn't hear them again for a very long time.

He lead Arthur to his already made bed, pushing him down on the silk scarlet sheets.

''Alright, you should be okay if you stay in here.'' Merlin spoke mostly to himself, for Arthur was staring dreamily up at the crimson cannopy above him.

''Right.'' Merlin pondered on Arthur's temporary mental state as he left, shutting the wooden doors behind him.

''How is he?'' Morgana asked as she, Merlin and Evangeline walked down an empty corridor.

Merlin sighed. ''Out of his mind.''

Morgana shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips.

They started the subject of how revolting it is of Uther to celebrate the slaughter of innocent people and the cruelty of him to tell grim tales of the killings with a light laugh.

''I should turn in. All this talk of the macabre doings of Uther Pendragon will soon drive me mad.''

Evangeline sighed, after saying so.

''Alright, see you tomorrow.'' Morgana squeezed her hand gently, leaving with Merlin down the hall.

They had walked Evangeline to the door of her chambers, but when she stepped inside, she was not alone.

''At last, my love!''

She had to look twice at the still very drunk Arthur Pendragon, who stumbled to his feet from his seat at the small wooden table in her chambers.

''I've waited for you, my lady!'' He took her hand, kissing it lingeringly.

Evangeline took her hand back quickly, shivering lightly from his touch.

''What are you doing in here?'' She demanded, glaring. ''Get out!''

He frowned. ''But my love, I've come to see you.'' He slurred, his wide-eyed expression hopeful.

''I am not your love!'' She pointed a strict finger up at him.

Arthur looked down at the ground like a child being scolded for bad behavior. He bit his lip, his eyes big and sad but they were also sleepy.

He took a seat slowly.

Evangeline sighed, rolling her eyes. ''Out!''

Soon he would drift into a restful sleep and as if on que, his eyes fluttered to a close and he went slightly limp in his seat.

''No!'' She groaned, sighing.

''Gerroff!'' She attempted to move him, but he was far too heavy.

Sighing as she gave up, she glared at his unconscious form, stomping off to the far end of the room, where her canopy bed awaited her.

Evangeline changed into a modest night gown behind the curtain and reluctantly retired to her bed.

She hoped that when she woke he wouldn't be there.