Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

26

The next midday, Arthur had at last cornered her.

She rolled her eyes, sighing in frustration.

''Look, I'm sorry for the rumors. I'm sorry. I am always to blame.''

''Thank you for realizing it. If you weren't so drunk last night and for no reason! Who does that?'' She threw her arms up, crossing them over her chest.

He laughed humorlessly. ''You think I had no cause for drunkenness? You are my reason.''

She scoffed. ''Oh, well, thank you for blaming me for your childish wine drinking!''

''You don't even care that I want you. Do you think that that is easily dealt with?'' He questioned.

She glared viciously. ''You do not want me! You only think you do.''

''Why would I only think that?'' He asked.

Evangeline, still glaring, answered his question. ''Because I am the only girl who did not swoon at the sight of you. You're not even that good looking.''

He ignored that punch in the gut and said, ''I think I would know! I adored you at first glance.''
She shook her head. ''So that's what it is. You want me psychically. Well, too bad.''

''Of course I want you psychically. I mean, look at yourself! But most of all I want all of you. I want to have a long and peaceful conversation with you. I want to see you smile. Not at Merlin. Not at Morgana. At me.''

He took a breath.

She ignored all those butterflies and shivers and said, ''Well, perhaps I would smile in your direction every once and a while if you hadn't have murdered my brother!''

''I can't count how many times I've said I'm sorry.'' He sorrowfully spoke.

''Well, sorry does not bring him back, does it?'' She asked, turning away from him.

Later that day Uther asked of Arthur to visit him in the throne room, where he presented a proposal.

''I heard that you and Princess Evangeline have grown close.'' He began.

Arthur opened his mouth to speak, but his Father had interrupted.

''It could bring about an aliance between Camelot and Bernicia. This is good news to my ears, Arthur. You shall marry the Princess.''

Uther spoke as if he were proud of himself.

''Father, that could be difficult to arrange. Especially with my funeral.''

''Funeral?'' Uther asked, his brows knit.

''If Evangeline heard about this, she would kill me with her own hands.'' Arthur informed, not doubting for a second that that would be his fate.

''What are you talking about, Arthur?''

Arthur sighed. ''It was a rumor, Father. Evangeline would rather be a handmaiden then to even look at me. She loathes me, Father.''

''Loathes?'' Asked Uther.

''The absolute strongest of hate.'' Arthur nodded.

Uther sighed. ''I see.''

Merlin stood off to the side, his eyes widened by such a suggestion.

Evangeline sighed, hearing yet another whisper of Arthur and herself's 'affair'.

She contemplated going before the entire kingdom and informing them of their error.

''Hey!'' Merlin greeted, smiley.

''Hello, Merlin.'' Evangeline sighed.

''You will never believe what Uther was telling Arthur just a few moments ago.''

''Why should I care?'' She hated the mention of his name.

''It was about you. Anyway, Uther was suggesting you and Arthur get married.'' Merlin scoffed.

''Like that'll happen. You're too stubborn. '' He laughed.

It dawned on her. Perhaps Arthur is not really infatuated with her. What if it was just another one of Uther's scemes at getting a peace agreement with Bernicia and Arthur was just being daddy's obedient little boy once more.

She felt immensely hurt.

''Have to go. See you tonight!'' Merlin said his fairwell.

She waved goodbye, absent-minded.
Angrily, she began walking for her chambers, wondering why she cared so much.

''Evangeline!'' The only person she did not want to see appeared in front of her, slightly confused by her glossy eyes and sorrowful expression.

''You! Just leave me alone.'' She demanded, briskly walking past him.

Though she should have know he would not.

''Wait! What's wrong? Are you okay?'' He asked, his voice sounding sincere.

But she would not trust a word that came out of his mouth now.

''I finally get it! It all makes sense!'' She turned to face him, bursting.

''You been persueing me so relentlessly on daddy's orders!''

Arthur frowned, confused. ''What are you talking about?''

''Don't play stupid.'' She glared.

''I should have known! I hate you more than I did yesterday!''

A strange expression flashed across his fair features and perplexed her. If he were pretending that would not have hurt him so badly.

He would not have had time to react in such a way.

She entered her chambers, slamming the door.

It took him a moment to chase after her. He had a bit of recovering to do.

''Evangeline!'' He knocked on the door. ''My Father did not put me up to this, I swear.''

She scoffed from behind the door. ''What am I just supposed to believe you?''

''I'm not lying, Evangeline. I wouldn't lie to you.''

Evangeline spoke, in a strained and angry tone. ''Please just leave me alone! I am so sick of you!''

''But Evangeline-'' Arthur began, before he was cut off.

''You have hurt me more than anyone in my life! Please, just go!'' She begged, biting her lip.

Arthur felt a painful stab to his chest, but granted her wish non-the-less.