Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

34

Evangeline frowned, biting her lip and turning away from him, so that her back was to him and not her face.

She couldn't see him at the moment. She just wanted to forgot everything she had ever thought about Arthur Pendragon.

With one last inaudible sigh of sorrow, she fell asleep.

Arthur could hardly sleep with her next to him. He was far too distracted by her beauty. The way the moon illuminated her fair skin and danced happily across her long and lucious raven locks.

He nearly lost the breath within him when she turned over on her side, facing him and lightly touched his arm.

He gently pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her. He did not wish to wake her. But, his heart was racing so quickly from within his chest, he was sure the sound would bring her to consciousness.

When the sun's golden rays shined in her face, she stirred, attempting to find the darkness once more. But, the warmth she felt beside her had woken her completely.

She sat up quickly, glancing down at the sleeping form of Arthur Pendragon.

Evangeline nearly smacked herself, jumping out of the bed and burying her face in her hands.

''You said you would be gone.'' She shook Arthur, and not so gently.

Arthur sat up at lighting speed. ''What's wrong?'' He asked groggily, blindly looking around, before his eyes focused on the ever so beautiful, Evangeline.

''Why aren't you gone? You promised.'' She softly spoke, sadness and slight anger in her voice.

Arthur bit his lip. ''I'm sorry.''

''Whatever. Just get away.'' She disappeared behind the curtain in the corner, mainly so she didn't have to see him.

''Evangeline...?'' He made a move toward the curtain.

She looked out from the curtain, her long dark locks following her. ''Don't come over here! I'm undressing.''

Arthur blushed at this knowledge and quickly looked down, even though her body was
hidden behind the curtain.

''Go, Arthur. I don't want you here.'' She spoke, slightly hesitant about undressing with him in the same room. She was almost... nervous to. Feeling over conscious about her body.

Arthur sighed, the conversation wasn't over, in his opinion, but he granted her wish for privacy.

Evangeline sighed, biting her lip once she heard the door shut.

She made a huge mistake allowing him to fall asleep next to her.

Later that day, Morgana had at last found her distressed friend, Evangeline.

''What happened? I seen you and Sir Alexandrus talking.'' She winked, though she was
slightly jealous.

''No, Morgana. It isn't that way. He isn't that interesting to me.'' Evangeline eased Morgana's envy and caused her to smile lightly for more than one reason.

''Could it be that you love someone else already?'' She rose a brow.

Evangeline glanced over at her sharply, defensively and quickly denying such a possibility.

''No.''

Morgana shrugged, smiling.

''Evangeline! I need to speak to you.'' Arthur ran up, breathless by the time he stopped in front of the two brunettes.

''Well, I should go.'' Morgana smiled.

''No, you shouldn't.'' Evangeline shook her head, taking Morgana's hand.

Morgana smirked, taking her hand back. ''No, I really should. See you later.''

Evangeline glared as Morgana smirked, walking away.

Once Morgana was out of sight and Evangeline could not glare any longer, she turned on Arthur.

''I don't want to see you, Arthur.'' She started walking away, angry with herself for giving in last night.

Arthur followed, taking her arm to stop her.

Evangeline ripped her arm away, glaring up at him. ''You took advantage of me when I was vulnerable!''

''I did not!''

''Think about it, Arthur. With the best of intentions, yes, you did.'' Evangeline walked away, leaving Arthur to think about what she had said.

He frowned, realizing that he had.

Arthur followed after her, calling her name. ''Evangeline, please?'' He took her hand, stepping in front of her.

She rejected his touch, pulling her hand away. It unsettled her, the way his touch made her stomach flip with glee.

''I'm sorry, Evangeline.'' He spoke sincerely, once he had recovered from the disappointment and embarassment of her rejection.

''I didn't realize that I was taking advantage of you. Can you forgive me?'' He asked softly.

''If you leave me alone, yes.'' She walked around him.

''Evangeline! You're not the only one who has a say in this! I want to be with you. Why don't you want to be with me?'' His voice softened at the end, and he glanced down to the stone floor beneath them.

His shouting had caused her to turn around to face him.

She bit her lip, feeling guilty for being rude to him.

''It's not you, Arthur.''

He laughed humorlessly. ''It's not me?'' He buried his face in his hands, sighing. ''Stop killing me slowly and just get it over with! It is me. I know that. You dont want to be with me! Why?''

''Because it's sick! It's horrible of me! You killed my brother and if I wanted to be with you, I would be betraying him!'' She errupted, fuming slightly.

''That's why you keep pushing me away?'' He asked softly. ''If I hadn't have been so stupid and ended a wonderful prospering life, you would want to be with me?''

Evangeline glared slightly, to protect herself. ''I could never want to be with you! Leave me alone!''

''Why do you wish to hurt me so much?'' Arthur asked, the breath being knocked out of him because of her painful words.

''You hurt me first.'' She spat, turning sharply to escape.

Arthur caught up with her quickly.

''Stop running away. For once just listen and talk, instead of walking out!'' He requested.

''Don't touch me!'' She pulled her hand away from his reach, her chest heaving.

''I seen the way you looked at me last night. I like to believe that's the way you really feel.''

Arthur ignored her display of loathing toward him.

She couldn't think of what to say. Arthur had even the slightest clue as to her true feelings and that scared her.

''You just don't quit, do you?'' She asked, glaring up at him. ''Can't you find someone else to harass?''

Arthur closed his eyes tightly, both angry and sad.

''You drive me to insanity! Why can't you just love me?'' Arthur asked lowly, the last sentence.

''Love? Who has ever said anything about love? I don't love you, Arthur. And you don't love me.''

''Don't tell me who I love!''

Evangeline's heart raged against her chest and she felt she would explode. ''Don't talk to me, Arthur. I don't want to hear you. Especially if that word is involved.''

She escaped at last! Her chest bruised from the inside from her heart's ruthless beating.