Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

35

Arthur was unsuccessful in finding Evangeline before training practice and sighed heavily as he waved the Knights over.

''Tomorrow starts the tournment.'' He reminded them, distracted. ''Let's get as much practice in as we can. We can't afford to be unprepared.''

The Knights began practice and Arthur was hardly there. Merlin noticed this, and had to save him from being knocked out and embarrassed every once and a while.

''You here, Arthur?'' Merlin asked, when the Prince changed weapons.

Arthur looked over at Merlin, hardly realizing he was there. ''No, Merlin. I've went to the tavern.'' He dryly stated. ''I knew you were daft, but so much so, I did not know.''

Despite the insult, Merlin smiled.

''Lady trouble?'' He rose a brow.

''No. She isn't mine to have troubles with. She loathes me. But, she sure does fancy Sir Alexandrus.'' He bitterly sneered, nearly spitting his name. ''But why am I jealous? She isn't even mine.''

Arthur sighed, leaving Merlin as if he had never stopped to talk to him.

Later that breezey spring day, Sir Alexandrus had at last found Evangeline once again and greeted her with a charming smile.

Evangeline kindly said hello in return.

And just as fate would have it, Arthur walked through the corridor, spotting the two.

They looked very comfortable with each other, Arthur thought.

Sir Alexandrus kissed her hand politely, bowing slightly.

Arthur couldn't look and he immediately glanced down.

Envy and anger surged through him. He took a deep breath. He couldn't wait until Sir Alexandrus and himself went head to head in the tournement.

''Ah! Prince Arthur!'' Sir Alexandrus had noticed Arthur, greeting him fondly.

Evangeline didn't want to be near Arthur. She felt so very strange when in his presence. She felt her heart rage against her chest and felt herself stop breathing.

Arthur tried to hide his glare directed at the Knight, and looked down at Evangeline. The sight of her seemed to ease his anger.

''Goodbye, Sir Alexandrus.'' She said a sweet farewell, attempting to leave.

''I need to talk to you, Evangeline.'' Arthur caught up with her, leaving Sir Alexandrus in the dust without a thought.

''Well, I don't want to talk to you, Arthur.'' Evangeline continued to walk, Arthur following like a lost puppy.

''There you go again! Being selfish!''

Evangeline couldn't restrain her sorrowful expression and bit her lip briefly. She was supposed to remain cool and unaffected.

Arthur frowned, stopping. ''I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.'' He sincerely apologized, feeling horrible about what he had said.

''You're not selfish.''

''Yes, I am!'' Evangeline laughed humorlessly, shaking her head. ''You can be honest, Arthur.
And you know that I am selfish, then, why do you still want to be with me?''

Arthur took a breath, preparing to speak all of those reasons and more.

Evangeline wanted to know deeply, but that part of her was overthrown by the side of her who didn't want Arthur to know how she felt.

She didn't want to know his reasons, that would only made it harder for her.

''Wait! I don't want to know.'' Evangeline cut him off, walking again.

''Evangeline!'' He stepped in front of her.

She frowned, biting her lip. The sound of her name coming from his lips did odd things to her stomach.

Evangeline wished to kiss those lips, and that worried her.

Arthur took her shoulders, looking deeply into her eyes.

She surpressed a shiver, unable to avoid his eyes.

He got a strange look in his eyes, and she knew all too well what it meant.

Before his lips could touch hers, she looked down, shaking her head lightly. ''No.'' Her voice hardly audible as she closed her eyes.

''Why not?'' Arthur quietly asked, frowning.

She glanced up at him. ''There are things about me that you don't know, Arthur... That I'm afraid to tell you.''

''Like what?'' He asked. ''Nothing you can say can make me feel any different.'' He assured, his eyes soft.

She laughed lightly, almost a scoff. ''I doubt that strongly.''

''Are you married?'' Arthur asked, looking heartbroken, even if the suggestion was in theory.

''No.'' She shook her head.

Arthur sighed in relief. But his worry was back in a hurry. ''Are you engaged?'' He asked, frowning at the possibility.

''No. Nothing like that.'' She informed, easing a bit of his weariness.

''Then what? What could keep us apart?'' He inquired.

Evangeline looked down, frowning. She couldn't tell him about her magic. She didn't trust him enough. It scared her immensely to think of her life in his hands.

''Look, Arthur. I didn't come back to hurt you. But, I'm sorry that I have caused you pain.'' She apologized, glancing up at him.

''I know that you will find another.'' She tried to smile, but failed miserably.

Arthur's heart pounded mercilessly in his chest, almost as if it were terrified. ''No.'' He shook his head. ''I don't want another.''

He didn't realize, but his bright blue were getting rather glossy.

Evangeline took one look into those teary eyes and frowned. ''It doesn't matter. I'm already gone.''

Arthur stopped her before she could get too far, but he could hardly see through those watery eyes.

''Why must you look at me that way?'' She asked lowly.

Arthur glanced down, frowning. ''I'm sorry.''

Evangeline, biting her lip, said, ''No, Arthur, I'm sorry.'' And she too couldn't look into those eyes.

''Please look at me?'' He begged, his lip trembled lightly.

''Looking at you makes it harder.'' She admitted, stubbornly watching the floor.

With one last, barely audible apology, she left him where he stood, his tears blinding him as his heart destroyed him from the inside-out.