Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

48

Arthur was under the impression that Evangeline did not love him and oh how wrong he was.

But he wished he could make her love him, though he knew he couldn't and he wouldn't. He didn't want her to be with him if it would make her unhappy.

His sorrow at her clarification waved through his being without mercy. And he wished he had never heard those words from her lips.

Arthur did not wish away their meeting in the forest though, he charished it. He was afraid to let that small, sweet confrontation go. It was all he had now.

Evangeline had not woken yet, her ceaseless sobs the night before had made her most tired.

She slept in sweet oblivion, for now, at least.

But Beatrice awoke her soon after and all that happened rushed back to her, and once again, she felt overcome by tears.

''It's midnoon! Youve slept the whole day nearly!'' Beatrice gathered the clothes that was cast askew in the night.

''I've drawn you a bath.'' Beatrice glanced over at Evangeline, who was sitting up in her unmade bed, her black leather boots still on and her eyes outlined in pink.

''What happened to you?'' Beatrice rushed over, sitting on the bed with her, to see her properly, but Evangeline was avoiding her gaze well.

''Nothing.'' Evangeline turned her cheek away from Beatrice's approaching hand.

Beatrice rubbed the dry tears off her pale cheeks, and looked at her with soft, confused eyes.

''Tell me, Angel.'' She pushed her gently, saddened by her state.

Evangeline shook her head, looking over at Beatrice, determined to look alright. ''This is nothing to tell.'' She forced a small smile, but it was not well formed and faltered in it's own lies.

But Beatrice did not push it. She knew when someone didn't want to speak about something.

Evangeline stayed in her bed a while longer, she didn't sleep, just laid there, staring at the ceiling.

She had no doubt that what she had done, was the right hing to do. There was too much at stake.

After the longest day in infinity, or at least in Arthur's opinion, had passed, he couldn't go on this way any longer.

Arthur waited until nightfall and snuck out of the castle, a large dark cloak and hood over his fair locks and face.

A letter wouldn't suffice this time. He had to see her, even if she wouldn't fancy seeing him.

He swept through the trees of the Darkling Wood and bit his lip as he looked up her tower, her window was open and no lights were on.

He hoped the patrol wouldn't see him scaling the stone tower. He wasn't sure she would conceal him a second time.

When he reached her large, tall open window, he glance inside, this time, no one was there. No one, except for Evangeline.

She was lying in her king sized bed, but her back was toward him.

He tried to focus on successfully getting in, without falling to his death, but he was distracted by the pale moon rays turning her raven locks a magical, fair blue.

At least he found himself inside the oddly beautiful, and grim interior of her bedroom chambers.

Arthur quietly walked around, to face her, but she was sleeping.
She was sleeping beauty herself, and her chest heaved softly up and down in peaceful, sleeping breaths.

Arthur's heart broke a fraction as he glanced down at her. It hurt to know she didn't love him, and she would never be his.

''Evangeline...'' Arthur whispered into the semi darkness, biting his lip. His voice broke slightly, even saying her name was painful with the knowledge that troubled his heart.
She stirred, but that was all.

Arthur shakily reached out a hand, his hand hovering over her shoulder, he dreaded to feel what the touch of her skin would make him feel, but at long last, he gently shook her awake.

Evangeline sat upright in her warm velvet and silk covered bed sheets, her eyes wide in surprise and terror.

''Arthur?'' She asked, to be certain it wasn't a dream. ''What are you doing here?'' Evangeline asked, her tone in anguish and anger.

Arthur sighed, ever so quietly. ''I had to see you...''

''Why? I've already told you all you need to hear.''

He shook his head. ''No. You've condemned me to infinite sorrow.''

Evangeline sighed. ''So, you've come to hurt me? To make me feel guilty?'' She asked, her tone a touch too sharp.

Arthur winced at her assumption and sighed. ''No.'' His tone was soft with regret. ''I didn't come here to hurt you. I never want to do that. And I don't want to make you feel guilty. I've come because I couldn't stop myself. I needed to see you...''

Evangeline tried to calm her beating heart, but it was no use. ''It's the dead of night, Arthur!'' She couldn't think of a reply relevant to his statement.

''I know.'' He sighed, glancing down. ''I'm sorry I woke you.''

''Arthur...'' Evangeline sighed, pushing her hair out of her face and making a thousand warm shivers climb up Arthur's spine and fingertips all at once. ''You should be angry with me. You shouldn't be apologizing for waking me.''

Arthur took a seat on the very edge of her bed, his eyes cast down in sorrow.

''I've said what I need to, Arthur. There's no reason to say it again, but if I have to...''

''Don't make me sad.'' Arthur plead, his tone so soft, she could have imagined it.

Arthur was damned to hear those four words play devilishly through his head, 'I don't love you.'
He cringed at her voice, speaking such heartbreaking words in his mind.

''Why don't you... love me?'' He found it hard to speak it aloud. It made it even more real and hurtful.

Evangeline looked down at the dark brown fur blanket beneath her and bit her lip. She hated to see the pain she had caused him.

''I just don't.'' She said with difficulty, trying hard to sound sincere.

Arthur sighed. ''I need a reason. A specific reason, so that maybe I could learn to love someone else, in time...'' He hardly believed that were possible.

Evangeline swallowed the lump in her throat, but it seemed to get larger and larger every time she did.

She was inaudibly gasping by this time, and her eyes were blinded by the glossiness of the tears pooling up in her emerald green eyes.

''I-...'' She tried to speak, to find a false reason she didn't love him, but it was challenging, mostly because it wasn't true, but also because the thought of him loving someone else, hurt her deeply.

Evangeline looked away just as Arthur glanced over at her. She couldn't allow him to see her glistening eyes as they fought pressing tears.

''You killed my brother.'' She said weakly, at last coming up with a logical reason.

Arthur sighed softly, his brows coming together to form his sadness. ''I'm sorry.'' His tone was barely audible. He was sorry, deeply.

''Now, go. You have your answer. Find someone new...'' Again, the lump in her throat wouldn't allow her to finished that last sentence, it was as soft as a sigh and strained with sadness and regret.