Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

50

Arthur sighed, glancing over at Evangeline unexpectedly.

He must have seen something in her eyes to lift his spirits, because he seemed less heavy hearted.

''Evangeline, you're lying. I know you still care about me. I can see it in your eyes.'' Arthur said, a small, relieved smile tugging at his previously pouting lips.

Evangeline suddenly became very defensive. ''I think I would know how I feel.'' She said quickly, too quickly.

''Come on! I can tell.'' His smile was quickly taking the heavy sadness off his shoulders, and he was very happy he came.

Evangeline wished her heart would stop it's endless drumming, but her internal begging was mute. ''No. No, you can't. I do not like you, Arthur. I want you to leave.''

''Evangeline, please?'' He wished she would just accept his affection. And with this new boost of confidence, Arthur smiled, taking her hand in his and planting a sweet, brief kiss on her knuckles.

''These last few days have been torture. I can't live in a castle where you do not. I love you, Evangeline. I know you don't like when I say it, but I can't stop myself.''

A ceaseless tug at her lips caused Evangeline to frown, though, inside she was quite happy to be reassured of his feelings.

It was all too much for her. She didn't know what to do, or how to do it. She thought of her father, her brother...

Evangeline turned away from him, her tears were starting to pool over and fall down her fair cheeks, and she didn't want him to see.

''I love you, but I don't know what to do.'' She said so quietly, so sadly, that Arthur was sure he had imagined it.

But she did say those words, though she did not intend to.

Arthur's breath got caught in his throat, in the most wonderful way possible, he was speechless.

''Why are you conflicted?'' Arthur asked quietly, wishing she would look at him.

Evangeline scoffed lightly. ''My father! My brother! My Kingdom!'' She shook her head. ''It's better if I just forget you, and I advise you do the same.''

''No! I don't want to forget you! I cannot.'' Arthur gently, his thoughts in frightened disarray at the very suggestion.

''You must! Find a way, because there is no chance of us. Maybe, if you just accepted it already, you could be happy.'' Evangeline said.

''Well, maybe if you would just accept that that will never happen, you will be happy.'' Arthur reasoned, sighing at her stubbornness.

Evangeline grew uncomfortable with the truth he spoke, and looked away from his soft, yet piercing gaze.

''Arthur if you don't leave...'' She thought up a threat, biting her lip lightly in concentration, this going unnoticed by her, ''I will alert the guards.'' She decided, though she probably wouldn't.

Arthur called her bluff and smiled lightly. ''You wouldn't.''

''Try me.'' She said far more firmly than she felt.

Arthur sighed, staring at her fixedly, attempting to read her expressions, but he could not.

Evangeline rose a brow, ''Are you done? I need to sleep.''

He suddenly groaned in sad frustration. ''I wish you would stop! Please, please, stop pretending you don't care? It hurts, Evangeline.'' His voice broke slightly near the end, and he glanced away, his brows knit together in sorrow.

It hurt her to see his distress and to know she was the cause of it, and she couldn't stop herself from saying exactly what she felt, ''I'm sorry.''

Arthur glanced up at her, and saw the sincerity meekly displayed on her fair features, before she could cover it up with an unreadable expression.

He smiled a small smile, he couldn't help it, but it seemed that one gesture threw her back into hiding.

She looked, once again, indifferent. ''You should go.''

''You keep saying that.'' Arthur was disappointed that they're small bit of progress had vanished completely, he had hoped they were finally getting somewhere, alas, he was wrong, or at least it seemed so.

''Then do it and I won't have to say it again.'' She crossed her arms over her chest, stubbornly.

Arthur shook his head. ''No. I love you and I'm not leaving until you admit the same.'' He spoke fiercely, determined to catch her gaze, and her gaze he did catch.

She looked tired and unhappy, but also, there was a trace of frustration in her emerald green eyes.

Arthur slowly cupped her fair, but flushed cheek, looking softly into her eyes. It broke his heart to see her less than absolutely, positively happy.

He was afraid she would turned away, and he anxiously bit his lip.

''I'm sorry I've caused you so much sadness.'' Arthur spoke, his soothing and sweet voice hardly above a whisper. ''But I truly believe that I could make up for it. If you just gave me a chance.''

Evangeline frowned down at her lap, ''You know that I can't.'' She said quietly.

''You can! You don't want to.'' Arthur sighed, shaking his head.

''No! I can't. I really can't. There is more at stake than you understand. You ask much of me, Arthur.''

''Then let me ask no more.'' He frowned, he wasn't sure how long he could restrain himself, but he would try, for her.

Evangeline did not know what to say. To think he would do this for her, made her speechless, but also guilty.

She simply looked at him, for a long moment, contemplating his sweetness, and his sadness.

But he did not look at her, he could not find it in himself.

But, suddenly, and much to Arthur, as well as Evangeline's surprise, she gently pushed him down against the soft, silk sheets of her bed and lay next to him.

And he was enveloped in warm silence and rapid heart beats as she wordlessly rest her head on his chest.