Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

51

She wasn't planning to do what she had done, and was doing, but now that she was doing it, she had no desire to flee.

Evangeline could hear his heart pounding against her ear, she pushed away her fear and sadness it brought, and focused on the happiness it presented her.

Arthur said nothing, he was far too shocked. But also, he was afraid his speaking would remind her of who he is, and she would hide away again, leaving him in the cold once more.

He gently and slowly ran his fingers through her long, dark and wavy hair. It was just as soft as he had imagined.

Arthur had never felt the warm daintiness of her loosely curling locks, she would hardly ever let him touch her.

His hand was shaky as he gently twirled a curling lock of her raven hair around his finger.

Evangeline bit her full lower lip, a shiver running through her fingertips. Her cheek rest on the soft fabric of his scarlet shirt.

Arthur was almost certain his heart was attempting to break free from the cage within his chest, it was beginning to hurt. A wonderful pain!

She always seemed to do this to him. He guessed she did not realize. But, every time he would try to accept that she would never be with him, she would do something like this and he would be hopelessly desperate to cling to whatever he wished they had.

All his progress, lost.

He did not desire to gather up his hopes, just for it all to come crumbling down at his feet, but he also had wished to never move from this place, this situation.

''Evangeline....?'' Arthur spoke at last. Cutting through the silence with his soft and quiet tone.

She looked up at him, her pillow-like lips, pouting and her eyes filled with a strange emotion, with sadness and with fear.

She was afraid. For many reasons, some practical, and some not.

Arthur gently picked her up, and brought her to face him, laying on her soft, warm bed.

Evangeline dared not look into his eyes, she was far too afraid of what she might see, or what he would see in her's.

But her eyes were the one thing Arthur wished to see more than anything else.

''Why are you doing this?'' He asked softly, afraid this question would cause her to separate herself from him.

She didn't know the answer to that, or at least she didn't want to say it aloud.

Evangeline silently and slowly shook her head, her eyes cast down and her brows curving upward in confusion and sadness.

''I don't know....''

Arthur bit his lip, taking her cheek in the palm of his hand, and softly running his thumb over her cheekbone.

Evangeline tried her hardest to refrain from closing her eyes, or sigh, instead she frowned down at the small space between them as they lay on her warm, silk and velvet clad bed sheets.

Arthur sighed inaudibly, running his hand through his hair instead.

''I'm sorry, Arthur. I just can't do this.'' She sighed, rolling over unto her back, so that she was no longer facing him.

''It's nearly sunrise. Beatrice will be here soon.'' She said, biting her lip in anxiety and sitting up on her bed.

Evangeline sighed, standing up and taking Arthur's hands, attempting to pull him up when he simply laid there for a long moment.

''Come on, Arthur! Do you expect to just trout out of here in broad daylight?'' Evangeline questioned, letting go of his hands, as it was no use.

Arthur sighed, standing on his own. ''I suppose not...'' He did not wish to leave, but he would rather keep his head as well.

Arthur suddenly pulled her very close to him, by the arch in her lower back, shocking her to stillness.

He leaned down and kissed those full pink lips, his baby blue eyes closing lightly against the warm night air.

Evangeline could not stop herself from kissing him back, though she tried her hardest to regret it.

Her heart was pounding far too rapidly to be considered normal, and she found, much to her worry, her eyes had closed as well.

Arthur was so happy he had come. Even if he was caught! He would, at least have this moment.

He wished for nothing more than to live every second of his life left, in this moment. Simply holding her in his arms and kissing those tempting lips.

She broke the kiss, too afraid that he would be caught, in spite of herself and Arthur.

''You must go.'' Her voice was soft and rough from their long, sweet kiss and only made Arthur wish for more.

He reluctantly left go of his hold of her, and found that slim, tall window, but before he disappeared into the midnight blue air, he took one last, lingering look at the beauty standing in the moonlight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it is so short. I'm surprised I got even that out. I'm afraid I'm having a small case of writer's block.