Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

62

A hooded figure made their way to the gates of Camelot. Quiet and unknown.

The guards opened the gates, allowing passage to the stranger and on the stranger went.

To Castle Pendragon, to the prince's hallway.

A lanky boy came out of the Prince's room, holding more than he could carry and bickering about lack of respect for servants.

In his unaware state, he slammed into the stranger, knocking them both to the ground, not to mention the things he had been holding as well.

''Evangeline! What are you doing here?'' The dark haired boy smiled widely, helping up his friend.

''Um....'' The stranger thought hard of what to say, she had hoped not to run into anyone she was supposed to know.

''I-I came to see Arthur. Is he in... Bryan?'' She stammered, but could not think of the boys name. She had hoped to get a lucky guess.

Merlin looked at her strangely, offended she did not seem to remember him. ''Merlin.'' He corrected with a cautious glance.

''And since when do you want to see Arthur? Last time I checked, you hate him.''

The stranger snarled, of course she would be the one woman in all the five kingdoms to openly dislike the prince.

''I've-uh, had a change of heart.'' She tried smiling, but failed.

***

Evangeline had been feeling a lot happier than she had all year. The castle was no longer a prison, taunting her with memories of her dearest brother, but her home mirroring happy, wonderful stories of him.

It was as if through the castle, he would never truly die.

She and Morgana took to the market, looking around at all the fine fabrics and jewels Bernicia had to offer.

In Evangeline's greater spirits, Morgana had more fun than anyone thought they could in the marketplace.

But as the two brunette ladies' gladness grew, as did Merlin's suspicion.

***

''You came to see Arthur?'' Merlin asked, raising a dark brow.

The imposer nodded to his question. ''Yes. Where is he?'' She asked, but it was not in Evangeline's voice.

Merlin furrowed his brows and narrowed them slightly, ''You already know he's busy on Tuesdays. I hardly see him!'' Merlin tried to be calm and believable as he threw his hands up lightly, sighing.

''Why don't I take you to Gaius? We can wait there for him.''

''Gaius... Right. Okay.'' She really needed to do her homework, she thought to herself. Who this 'Gaius' was, she had no idea.

Merlin nodded, leading her to the psychian's quarters.

He took a surprised Gaius aside, as she stare around the round room.

''Gaius, there's something wrong...'' Merlin whispered, leaning in close and glancing behind himself.

''There's something not right about Evangeline. She called me Bryan. And she would have written before she came to Camelot. And where is Morgana? Alone in Bernicia? I doubt that.''

Gaius considered this, frowning. ''It looks like Evangeline.''

''That's not her voice though! Listen.'' Merlin turned to face her, ''Did you want something to drink?''

'Evangeline' looked surprised by this question and stammered, ''No thank you, I'm fine. Do you think Arthur will be back soon?''

''Why don't I go look? Be back.'' He whispered the next bit to Gaius, ''Keep an eye out, will you?''

Gaius nodded, casting a look at the Evangeline doppelganger, who sat uncomfortably on a stool.

Gaius could only guess she had never met the princess, for she did not mimic her actions, or personality.

Evangeline was a intrinsically confident, and relaxed in his company and the company of all. But this imposter avoided his eyes with extreme obviousness.

Merlin made it to Arthur without much breath to breathe, wild-eyed as he slide through the Prince's bedroom chambers.

''What are you doing?'' Arthur asked slowly with suspicion, quirking a fair brow from behind his desk.

''Arthur! There's a girl here. Evangeline. Well, it's not really Evangeline. She looks like her, but it's magic, I know it!'' Merlin spoke without a pause for breath, and gasped as he awaited the Knight and future King's response.

But all Arthur had heard was Evangeline. He stood faster than lightning and began walking from his desk.

''Wait! Arthur! It isn't her! It's magic, I just know it. Please listen to me, Arthur!'' Merlin stood in front of him, blocking his passage.

''Don't be ridiculous, Merlin.'' Arthur rolled his baby blues, stepping around the raven haired manservant.

''I'm serious!'' Merlin shouted after Arthur's retreating figure and now all he could do was follow in dismay.

Arthur all but broke the door down as he entered, and both Gaius and the imposter jumped in fright.

''Evangeline!'' Arthur breathlessly greeted, approaching her quicker than the human body would normally allow.

She cowered slightly, forgetting she had been wearing another's face. And quickly recomposed her confidence as she remembered she had the features of the fairest maiden in all of Albion.

She smiled Evangeline's smile, which was a rare sight for Arthur to behold.

Merlin gave Gaius a helpless, distraught look from behind the prince and Gaius returned it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so sorry it took so long and that it's very short. :L I've reached a bit of an impasse, unfortunately. But I will keep striving to push these out as frequently as I possibly can. :) Hope you enjoy the plot-twist. -Blessed be.