Status: I'll Usually Post a New Chapter At Least Once a Week.

"You Can't Stay a Saint in This City"

I've Been To Both Hemispheres Over My Short Years and Still Can't Pick My Favorite Place

I picked up my costume from the seamstress after work, just in time for the annual Halloween party at the Playboy Mansion, and was trying to find a place for it to hang in my closet. I picked up Milan’s preseason jersey and draped it over my chair as I finally put my costume in its place. I like the way Milan’s jersey looks draped over the ’Ivy’ chair just so. Maybe I should wash it looks a little dirty since I’ve spilt some chocolate icecream on it when I was watching Sex and the City. I flip the jersey inside out and that’s when I see Milan’s chicken scratch writing lining the inside of the jersey.

Dear Amber,

So here I am. In Boston. I don’t know why I’m writing to you. You aren’t around anymore and I notice every day. It was the last day of preseason and everyone was so…good. The invincibility of wining the Memorial Cup has faded and I’m not sure if I can do this anymore. I almost wish that they’d send me back to juniors because honestly I’m scared. What if I’m just another one of those players who spends their entire career traveling from city to city never making an impact? I don’t know Amber, I guess they can call me successful just for making it this far. I haven’t heard from you since that night (or was it morning) at the airport. I’m writing to you because you were always there to listen to me no matter how stupid I was being. Sometimes I wonder if I could’ve prevented this whole thing by listening to you when you wanted to talk instead of worrying about hockey: the Memorial Cup, the entry draft. I didn’t realize how important you were in my life until you were gone.

What is it like in Los Angeles? I spent the summer visiting my aunt and uncle in San Diego which I assumed for some reason was close to LA. Long story short, it isn’t but I’m sure you already knew that. I would be lying if I said I didn’t go looking for you. I even took my mom to the Orange County flea market. I just hope you’re alright and if you want the truth, I hope you haven’t found anyone else. The uncle I was staying with happened to be a huge Marilyn Monroe fan and had a book of all her quotes. I admit I may have picked it up (maybe because of her picture on the cover). Who knew she was so smart? Anyway I guess I’ll leave you with one.

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

Sincerely,
Milan Lucic

P.S. I may have gotten into several fights while in the jersey but I’m sure my blood will wash right off.

By the time Milan signed his name I was full on bawling in the middle of my closet. I love him. We can’t be fighting over stupid things if we’re in love. Unless of course we kiss and make up like an hour later. So I’m going to suck it up and just apologize to him because for once I need to be the bigger person in this instead of just running away when things get hard. I think this could be a new chapter in my life.
_____

Brittany and I are sitting on the couch with Mittens watching Decking Out Tinseltown. The familiar title sequence passes by along with its theme song. The title sequence is so popular I’ve seen people try to replicate/parody it on Youtube.

The Hollywood sign appears on the screen as the first riffs the guitar play.

“She said "You can't stay a saint that long in the city." The camera pans away to show the city of Los Angeles, sparkling in the sun.

“You laugh at the thought on the elevator down, you're just a phone call away.” Shows one of Amber’s secretaries on the phone as Amber walks through the doors of her offices, looking immaculate.

“You're placing a big blind bet on the underdog and though it’s a stretch, you believe” Greg and Ivy arguing ending with Greg tossing a pillow at Ivy and Ivy looking dumb founded.

“When you're against the odds, and on your feet” A close up on Amber’s bright red shoes as they clack against the dirty LA sidewalk.

“With you at your best, and promises kept, she'd rather stay here with you on the laziest afternoons with you.” Amber poolside in a bikini at the Beverly Hills Hotel sipping on a bottle of pale pink Vitamin water, label facing the camera obviously.

“Lost in Pacific Time with the sound of a dial tone” Areal footage of LA’s streets zooming in on Amber stuck in traffic on Rodeo Drive in her Bentley.

“Let the memories count the miles and never be forgotten.” Amber and her staff clinking at a barbeque as the camera pans to the red-orange sunset. As the screen fades to black with “Decking Out Tinseltown” written in neat silver block letters.

“Do you think this is the episode where she…you know goes on a date with Mike Richards?” Brittany was the one who saw a picture of Richards gazing into each other’s eyes across plates of sushi. Honestly that picture made me want to throw up. What was even weirder was that Amber looked hopeless and Richards looked like he understood.

“They haven’t even gone to New York yet.” I tell Brittany as Mittens makes herself comfortable on my lap. Brittany named Mittens after Heather Mitts who is some sort of female soccer player. If you asked Brittany she could probably tell you more about her than I can.

“Your necklace is really cute.” Jasmine says as she and Amber get pedicures. It’s times like this I wonder if Amber has an actual job. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen her at work this summer.

“Thanks, my boyfriend bought it for me. It’s a replica of his house that I decorated this summer.” Amber says as she chooses a florescent yellow polish from the shelf.

Next we see Amber in her confession box “I really miss him, I want to be around him like all the time. My god, I sound like so clingy” Amber pouts her pale pink lips “Anyway I hope he never sees this.” She adds as we cut back to her and Jasmine at the nail salon.

The show eventually goes to commercials and I go into the kitchen to get a drink. In the kitchen my phone is vibrating away on the counter.

“Milan, I love you.” Amber blurts out, she sounds like she’s been crying. I wonder if she was watching some sort of chick-flick before she called.

“Amber do you feel alright?” I know she doesn’t drink or whatever but you can never quite pin down Amber’s next move and I would never call myself a psychic.

Amber sighs “Yeah… I just got the hidden message you wrote for me on your jersey”

Oh that, I wrote it in a fit of homesickness, I was going to send it but I had no idea where she was. Eventually I got over my homesickness and honestly, I had forgotten that I even wrote that was on my jersey.

“I don’t want to fight anymore,” Amber sounds sad, it’s nice to know she’s been missing me.

“Then we won’t fight.”

“Aw Milan, I love you. I have to go now though.” She says and I hear shuffling in the background.

“Bye, Amber I’ll call you later.”

“Bye Milan”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure Amber's having a Mike Comrie retirement/ Red Wing 21st straight home win party. So I think a new chapter should conmenorate that.

BTW: The Theme song for Amber's show is New York (Saint In The City) by The Academy Is...
It's also where the story title gets it's name.