‹ Prequel: Crimson (Book One)

Darkness Follows (Book Two)

Meeting Zane

*Charlotte’s POV*

It had been a few days since Serena had come into the room making me her new right hand woman; I had been tailing Corbin as much as I could but he never seemed to leave the building.
Corbin was already being extremely difficult, he was angry that Serena had pushed him out of his high horse and made him lower than myself. When he had found out he was outraged, he shouted at us, threw pieces of furniture everywhere and Serena had him held down by two large wolves.
She had looked extremely disappointed at him; she talked to him with such a calm demeanour even though she was unhappy with the way he had behaved. She ordered him that he would now be a guard on the door of the office that Serena had been given.
He did not like this, it meant he had to stay standing at that door for a long time in shifts; he wasn’t given much free time.
I realised he was anxious to leave to go somewhere and walked to Serena’s office.
“What do you want?” Corbin said irritably.
“I need to speak to Serena, let me in” I said trying to shove him out of the way.
“No chance, she’s in a meeting” he said with a sly smirk
“With who?”
“None of your business” he talked back
“It is my business, I am her second hand and you are a lowly guard, so MOVE!” I shoved him, he pushed me back straight onto the flow, I flashed my fangs, eyes gone crimson in anger.
“Do not mess with me Corbin!” I said, blood pulsating through my veins.
It was a stand-off, he was positioned ready to strike me again as I stood fangs flashing.
“What is going on here!?” Serena burst through the door.
“Corbin here wouldn’t let me in” I told her. Serena turned to Corbin.
“And why was that?” she asked
“Well this little bitch thinks she’s soooo much better than me, I was fed up with her, I was showing I still have control” he replied
“Well, you do not have control, I have a new job for you, and you shall be in the kitchen every morning and evening and prepare food for Zane’s men”
“You have GOT to be joking” he said shocked
“No I am not, you shall start tonight, luckily for you, you have a few hours to rest, now leave me, I wish to carry on in peace, Charlotte I need to talk to you for a minute”
Corbin left dramatically and I walked into the office with Serena, in the office was Zane, King of the werewolves.
“Charlotte, I trust you know who this is?” Serena said
“Yes, Hello Zane, it is an honour to meet you” I replied turning to Zane
“Such a fine specimen you have Serena, I do remember her as a hunter, she came after us many a time”
“Yes, I’m sorry for that, it was in my hunter nature, I was nothing but filth back then” I said, it hurt to say that as a hunter I was filth.
“Do not worry, I do not take it to heart” he chuckled heartily.
“Yes, well, introductions over, Charlotte I wish to watch over Corbin closely, I made sure he had time off in the day on purpose, he had no chance to as my guard, but now he has a chance to leave, follow him and if you find anything come straight to me and if you cannot find me but can find Zane here then you are to tell him that you have news of Corbin and he shall contact me immediately, do you understand?” Serena interrupted
“Yes Ma’am” I agreed
“Good, now go, he could have left already. I nodded and went to leave.
“Goodbye pretty little thing” Zane called
“Um, Goodbye Sir” I said back
“Call me Zane”
“Oh... um... Ok Zane” I said as I walked out of the office.
I could still smell the faint odour of Corbin and followed, it went to his room, we had separated rooms on the day he had called me a liar and Serena had made me her second hand. I went close to the door, I could hear him talking.

“The bitch has put me on kitchen duty, she will regret her decision. Where are you?.... How many have you got?...... That’s not enough, ugghhh you stupid boy, I guess what you have will have to do, who have you got?.... Well that will do nicely, meet me in our spot, three days” I heard him hang up, I rushed into my room next door, listening to whether he left his room or not, when I heard nothing I put my ear to the wall between the two rooms, the sound of the bed creaked, he had gone to sleep.
I headed to the office, I had everything written down, I got to the office but no one was there.
A hand slinked onto my shoulder.
“Do not panic, it is just me” Zane said calmly
“I need to give Serena this” I held out the note.
“You already have news, well done, Serena is in the hall, and you are welcome to join me on my way there” He said curtly
“I’d be honoured” I said taking his outstretched arm, he was very much the old fashioned gentleman. Of course, this had to just be an act, he was a killer, a beast, it had to be an act... didn’t it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Recently I have been writing a lot lately, so I shall be updating more than before I hope. But bare with me if its been a while as I am having to do resit exams due to poor results :(