Sequel: The Code
Status: 7/22: Complete! Read final AN and check out the sequel page! (:

All That Glitters Is Silver

Sights And Smells.

Jackson was yelling at Sheriff Stilinski. My coping method was shutting down, his was lashing out.

I had to get out of here before my parents found out that I was involved in yet another terrible incident. It was like I had become a magnet for all bad things that could possibly happen in Beacon Hills. Out of all the places I had lived, Beacon Hills was by far the most eventful (and painful).

I stood up abruptly, alerting Sheriff Stilinski of my presence again. “I want to go home.” I told him calmly.

I didn’t know if it was the fact that I wasn’t lashing out at him like Jackson or that I seemed relatively stable, but either way, I got my wish. The sheriff still had an EMT check me out for head trauma but I came up clean. I was ordered to call someone because I wasn’t supposed to drive in my condition. I may not have physical injuries but there was still the emotional trauma to deal with.

I walked off to a place I could call Allison in peace when I saw it. Off in the distance, about thirty houses down, I saw them. I saw Stiles and Scott lurking on a roof top. Bewildered, I watched them talk. It was miraculous that I could see that far, especially with the lack of light. There was a street lamp the building over from them but I could see them as clearly as if I was standing right next them. I had always had good vision, but this seemed a little too good.

Stiles spoke with Scott while making quick glances at me until he stopped speaking completely. Scott glanced over at me, squinting before turning to Stiles and shaking his head. He mouthed something like, “Impossible,” before turning back to me. Stiles began running back and forth on the top of the building and my gaze followed him. Startled, Scott beckoned him off the roof and they disappeared from my view.

I took off down the road, sneaking away from the scene at the movies. Running full speed I reached the building they had recently vacated within minutes. But, they were gone. Down the back alley, I watched Stiles’ jeep speed away but from the light on the street I could tell there was only one body inside it. That meant Scott was somewhere else and Stiles was going home by himself. His dad would probably be at the crime scene for awhile so Stiles would truly be home alone, if that’s where he was going in the first place.

I decided that this was my best chance of getting Stiles alone. Without Scott around, I could get Stiles to talk. Allison had told me where Stiles’ lived once. He didn’t live too far from Allison’s so it wouldn’t take me very long to get home from this slight detour.

Pulling out my phone again, I checked the time. I had only been gone an hour and missed three calls and four texts from Allison. Dialing her number, a sly plan formed in my mind.

“Cassie?” Allison breathed a sigh of relief when she answered my call, “Oh, thank god! Where are you?”

“Sorry, I got held up at the store. Jackson was there and you know how he gets…” I sighed exasperatedly.

Allison didn’t seem entirely convinced, “He held you up for a whole hour?”

“Well, I had to get gas,” I lied, “And then Jackson wanted to bitch at the guy at the movie store about what sports movie was the best. Then, he proceeded to tell me exactly how he was going to win state this year and finally Lydia came in and dragged him away. And you wouldn’t believe who came in next, fighting over the Titanic with me!” I laughed.

“Who?” Allison questioned suspiciously.

“Stiles!” I cried, “So, now I’m making a quick stop at his house because he needs my help with something. Then I’ll be home and we’ll have our girls’ night. Promise.” I felt terrible lying to Allison but I could just tell she knew this was all bullshit.

“Okay,” She said slowly. “But the waits gonna cost you.”

“Alright,” I laughed, strolling down the alley, making a shortcut back to Allison’s neighborhood.

“And hurry up! Your foods getting cold!” She cried before hanging up the phone. I sighed, stuffing my phone back in my pocket and took off running again.

It took me longer to find Stiles’ house that it normally would have. First off, I was on foot so that added another ten minutes to my trip. And then it was dark so I had to find my way into in unfamiliar neighborhood without the guide of sunlight. So after ten minutes of wandering around, I spotted Stiles’ jeep sitting in a driveway. I prayed it was the correct house as I crossed its yard and slammed my fist against the door.

It took a few moments for Stiles’ to answer and when he did he looked utterly shocked to see me.

“C-Cassie?” He stuttered, “What are you doing here?”

“What were you doing at the movie store tonight?” I cut straight to the chase.

“I—What—I wasn’t—huh?” He rubbed the back of his head, shrugging his shoulders an excessive amount. This kid cracked easily under pressure.

“What were you doing at the movie store tonight?” I asked, slowly this time.

Stiles looked at me like a deer caught in headlights. I rolled my eyes and shoved my way into his house only to be repulsed by a repugnant smell.

“Urgh!” I cried in disdain, throwing my arm over my nose to block out the smell. “What is that?”

“W-What?” Stiles looked around wildly. “What?”

“That—That smell!” I felt my gag reflexes acting up again. “It smells like cat urine. Don’t you clean up after your cats?”

“I—I just clean it up today!” He defended. “And it’s in the back by the garage! How can you smell it? I don’t smell anything!” He said, shocked.

I shook my head, stepping back, “I’m gonna puke again.” I felt dizzy as Stiles leapt out of his house and caught me.

“Are—Are you okay?” He asked worriedly.

I shook my head again, “Just take me home. Let’s talk in your car.” I muttered, feeling a cold sweat coming on. Stiles seemed hesitant to be in a small space with me after almost puking but he obliged.

He helped me in the jeep and I placed my forehead on the cold window after he shut the door. Stiles hopped in the driver’s seat and the jeep roared to life. He kept glancing over at me like I was going to croak right then and there.

“Are you okay?” He asked again, “Do I need to take you to a hospital?”

I shook my head, “No, I’m okay now.” I sat back in the seat and glanced over at Stiles. “What were you doing there?”

Stiles furrowed his brow, thinking hard about something. He seemed to be thinking of something else besides my question.

“Stiles,” I said impatiently. “Did you hear—?”

“How did you see us?” He cut across me. “We were a good half a mile away. You were looking straight at Scott and me like you could see us as clear as day.”

I frowned, “Because I could.”

“But how?” He stressed.

“I have good vision.”

“And smell,” He muttered before his eyes lit up and he looked over at me in alarm. “This is going to sound really crazy—Insane even—but have you been bitten by anything lately? Like—like a dog or a—a—something?” He rambled.

“What?” I asked confused. “What are you talking about?”

“Have you been bitten by something since you arrived here in Beacon Hills?” He said with more urgency.

“No,” I said slowly, “But I think you might have been bitten by some crazy bug. Are you feeling alright, Stiles?” I made to feel his forehead but he jerked away.

“I’m fine.” Under his breath he muttered, “It’s you I’m worried about.”

We had arrived in front of Allison’s house before I knew it.

“Are you going to answer my question or keep acting weird?” I asked, peeved.

Stiles stared at me, examining me. “We were doing something for a school project.”

“You’re the worst liar I’ve ever met.” I laughed darkly, “I’m going to find out, you know.”

Stiles’ lips curled upwards a bit, “That’s what I’m afraid of. Are you sure—?”

“Yes, yes,” I barked impatiently, “I haven’t been bitten by anything. I’m fine. I’ve just been feeling a bit under the weather, that’s all.” I huffed, knowing this trip had been a bust.

“Maybe you should see a doctor. What’s wrong?” He asked curiously.

“Just haven’t been feeling great with the stress of moving and all.” I sighed, glancing out the window towards Allison’s house, “I’ve been tired and sometimes I get a whiff of something and I lose my lunch.”

“Only your lunch?” Stiles cracked a grin.

I rolled my eyes, “Metaphorically.”

“Maybe you’re ill. You should get that checked out by a doctor.”

I gave Stiles a weird look, “Okay, mom.”

“Just lookin’ out for my new buddy.” He said innocently but he was examining me, as if searching for bites.

I nodded, opening up the car door. “Tell you what,” I said, facing Stiles again. “I’ll go see a doctor when you tell me what you and Scott are up to.”

Stiles shook his head, “I better start making funeral arrangements for you, then.”

I rolled my eyes as I slammed the jeep door shut. He waved me off but I could see the look of concentration and wonder as he drove off. It was a bit unsettling. I made my way up the stone path to Allison’s house and opened the door.

“What did Stiles want?” She pounced immediately

“Just wanted to talk.” I shrugged, feeling drowsy all of the sudden.

Allison cracked a wide smile, “I think he likes you.”

I let out a loud laugh but didn’t feel like pointing out that Stiles was madly in love with Lydia. “Maybe.” I felt my eyes close slightly.

“Are you okay?” How many times was I going to hear that today?

“I just need to lie down.” The events of tonight must be catching up to me, the adrenaline was wearing off.

“Okay,” Allison murmured, worry etched on her face. “Just go lie down on the couch. I’ll heat up your dinner.”

But, suddenly I was so hungry anymore. All I wanted to do now was sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait and the shittiness of this chapter. I wanted to get something out to you guys after this foolishly long wait. Dance is over (YAY!) so I'll be updating more! The next chapter will be better, pinky swear. I just wanted to give you guys something until tomorrow or Tuesday when I get it out.

I don't deserve it, but if you guys are as madly in love with the Hunger Games as I am, please, please, please check out my Hunger Games FF: The Capitol's Tribute.

I kind of love that story right now and it's where my attentions been since dance ended. I'm sorry about that but I just can't stop writing for it when I have all these ideas for it! But, I'm making the effort to bring myself back into this story so never fear! And I'm going to try and head back to This Love Will Be Your Downfall once this and TCT are further along! (:

Subscribe and comment. We are back, baby!