Under A Paper Moon

chapter four

Ava and I walk back outside and re-join the guys, this whole situation is still feeling kinda surreal to me, the fact that I am currently hanging out with my favorite band in the whole entire world and they want me to work for them? Well let’s just say that this scenario hasn’t even happened in my wildest dreams, and if that’s not enough Ava’s little bombshell that Jack is attracted to me kinda knocked me for six. “Genevieve I have a bone to pick with you” Alex says as we approach them, his tone and expression are serious and I force myself to smile.

“Wh-whats that?” I ask, mentally kicking myself, ‘damn it Gen you just screwed up the best career opportunity you’ve ever had, well done girl!’ My subconscious tells me, I ignore it and force myself to meet Alex’s eyes.

“If you’re gonna make a habit of stealing my fiancé away from me like this then I am afraid this working arrangement just isn’t going to be possible” he says. “Oh ok, well uhmm it was nice to meet you…I’ll just uhh let myself out” I say trying not to let he disappointment I am feeling come across in my tone. As I turn to leave Jack leaps in front of me barring my way, and I look up at him with a confused expression. “Don’t leave” he says softly. “But Alex said….”
“Alex is just being an idiot” Ava says punching her fiancé in the chest. “It’s one of his talents, he doesn’t realize that it takes people some time to get used to his idiotic ness and weird ass sense of humor” she adds.

“Owww! Maaatt Ava’s beating me up again!” Alex whines to the one person I don’t recognize as a member of the band, I guess my assumption that he is Matt Flyzik is correct. “I’m sure you deserve it ‘Lex” Matt says. “But it really hurt” he insists pouting his lower lip out and crossing his arms over his chest in a good imitation of a grumpy toddler.
“Aww poor baby” Ava standing up on her tip toes and leaning in to kiss his cheek. “You think just cause you kiss me I’m gonna forgive you?” he asks looking down at her with a half smile. She shrugs and turns away from him slinging one arm over Jacks shoulders and the other over mine. “Fine then, don’t forgive me, see if I care” she says “come on lets go leave Mr Cranky Pants alone.” she says. “Hey! Where do you think you’re going” Alex says lifting her up off the ground and spinning her in a circle before pulling her to him in a hug. “Away from you” she says looking up into his eyes and poking her tongue out.“Not if I have anything to say about it you’re not” he says cupping the side of her face with his hand and kissing her lips. “Did I ever tell you I love you” he whispers against her lips. “Maybe once or twice” she responds before kissing him back.
“Is that all? Well then I haven’t been doing a very good job of being your fiancé. I love you baby, and I fall a little bit more in love with you every single day.” he says smiling down at her and pressing his lips back to hers, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him, causing the kiss to become….hot. Yeah ok I think this is my cue to go talk to someone else.

“Get a room!” Jack says rolling his eyes an amused expression on his face. “Seriously you two, we have company I’m pretty sure Genevieve doesn’t want to see you two French kissing each other” Matt says. “And nor do the rest of us for that matter.”
“Yeah” Zack piped in “particularly right before we’re about to eat lunch.”

Jack’s POV

Alex and Ava finally pull away from each other only for him to flip us the bird and go right back to kissing her again. I turn to Genevieve and smile, “Would you like a drink?” I ask damn she’s just perfect. “Yeah a drink would be great, thanks Jack-jack!” she says returning my smile. “Well just come with me and we’ll get you one” I say holding out my hand. “Why thank you Mr Barakat” she says slipping her arm through mine.

Damn that smile now I totally know what girls mean when they talk about going all weak at the knees when their crush smiles at them…yes I have a crush on Gen-gen, I want to ask her out on a date but I don’t want to freak her out or make her think that we are only hiring her because I think she’s the hottest girl in the whole entire world. and I do think that but my feelings for her have absolutely nothing to do with her getting the job, although it would be nice to have my girlfriend on tour with us, but I am getting ahead of myself here, I don’t even know if she likes me like that.

I lead her over to the refrigerator and open the door before standing back to let her look inside, we have a shit tonne of drinks in there and it’s a whole hell of a lot easier to just let her pick the one she wants “Take what ever you want, and feel free to just come get another drink whenever you’re thirsty. Don’t be bashful” I say. “Oooh this looks good” she says selecting a can of Jack Daniels and coke.
“I love Jack” she adds and then blushes realizing “uhh I mean the drink” she says hastily.

“Yeah I know what you mean” I say just as quickly and smile nervously at her, I grab a bottle of Corona hopefully one day she will say those words again and not be referring the drink. “I’m sorry about Alex and Ava, we’re used to them jumping each others bones, I hope they didn’t make you too uncomfortable.” I say. Don’t get me wrong, I love that Alex and Ava are so happy together, I love them both and want them to be happy and they make an amazing couple. But sometimes I think they forget that it takes people a little while to get used to their enthusiasm for one another.
“Its fine, they’re in love I get it” she says waving off my apology. “Yo Barakat, quit hogging our guest, we want to get to know her as well you know” Matt hollers from across the yard. “I was getting her a drink Flyzik, you know being a good host and all that” I retort before leading her back across the yard and sitting down on the two seater opposite Zack and Rian. I pat the seat next to me and Genevieve sits down also.

“So Genevieve now that you’ve met us all are you still willing to take on the job of make-up artist?” Matt asks, and I find myself involuntarily holding my breath in anticipation, I hope she says yes, I know that our crazy lifestyle isn’t for everyone and she might not like it but I just really hope she says yes and at least gives it a shot because I really want to get to know her better.
“Yeah I’m still up for it if you guys are willing to hire me” she says. “And it’s ok with your boss if you take a few months off to tour?” he asks. “I don’t see why it shouldn’t be, the stores closing for a few months because of renovations anyway, and she was trying to find us positions in other stores until ours re-opens, but most of the positions are already filled so this is kinda coming at the perfect time.” she says.

“Well I guess it was meant to be” Rian comments with a smile. “I guess it was” she responds smiling shyly back at him. “So who’s gonna cook the burgers?” I ask.
“Isn’t Alex gonna cook them? He usually does when we cook on the BBQ” Zack says.
“Yeah but he’s kinda doing something else right now, and its almost time to start cooking the burgers” I say. “Well he can make out with Ava later, when they go out on their date, we have company those two should be over here being social not over their sucking each-others faces off” Matt says.

“So are they home-made burgers or store bought?” Genevieve asks. “Home made. Ava has a secret family recipe for the beef patties and they’re amazing, so much better than the store bought variety.” I say, and I am not lying Ava’s beef patties are to die for, if you taste one you’ll be instantly hooked and subsequently ruined for any other burger on the face of the planet…but it’s a small sacrifice for something that tastes as amazing as her burgers.

“What’s in them?” she asks. “Uhh…meat? And spices and stuff, she wont tell us exactly what cause she’s a big fat meanie” I say. “Isn’t that right Avy-wavy?” I add spotting her approaching with Alex. “Sure Jack whatever you say” she responds. “Do you actually know what he said?” Matt asks. “No” she says. “He said you’re a big fat meanie, ‘cause you won’t reveal your secret recipe for beef patties.” Gen informs her.
“Oh is that right? You think I’m meanie do you Jacky?” Ava asks turning to look at me with her hand on her hips. “Maybe” I say poking my tongue out at her. “Well if I am such a meanie then I guess you don’t want any burgers then huh? I wouldn’t want you to catch my mean-ness by eating my burgers” she says. “What? No! Ava you’re not mean! Not at all you’re the awesomest person in the whole entire world ever!” I say jumping to my feet and pulling her into a hug.

“Hey! Keep your hands off my girl!” Alex says pretending to be annoyed, but he ruins it by breaking into a grin. “Quit quoting Good Charlotte lyrics and go cook the burgers” Matt says. “Can’t someone else do it? I have more important things to do than cook food for you losers” he says “with the exception of the ladies of course” he adds shooting a smile at Genevieve and kissing Ava on the cheek.

“Nope, sorry buddy the burger cooking is all you.” Zack says patting him on the back. “But don’t fret; there will be plenty of time for you and Ava to play round two of your tonsil hockey match later.”

“You suck” he says. “You love us, don’t deny it” I say poking him in the arm. “No I love Ava, you lot I just put up with for the sake of the band” he retorts. “If it wasn’t for your talent with a guitar then I probably wouldn’t put up with you at all”

“Don’t kid yourself ‘Lex, I know you’re secretly in love with me” I say winking at him.
“Ok Jack I admit it, you are my one and only true love” he says. “I knew it, I’m sorry Ava but the weddings off, and Alex is mine now” I say poking my tongue out at her and wrapping my arm round Alex’s waist. She rolls her eyes and turns to Genevieve “Ignore them, they’re crazy. But you get used to it” she says. “Oh its fine, I know all about Jalex” she says causing everyone except Alex and I to burst out laughing.

“You know that’s just the fans making shit up right?” I ask. “Yeah Jack, I know that you and Alex aren’t actually a couple” Gen says with a chuckle. “Ok good, ‘cause I’d hate to think that the fans actually believe that stuff.. I mean not that I have anything against the gays but well I play for the other team, as does Alex, so I wouldn’t want to offend anyone you know?” I say. “Jack it’s fine, you don’t have to explain yourself, I know what you mean” Gen says laying a hand on my arm.

“Hey Ava can you show me where the bathroom is?” she asks removing her hand and turning to Ava. “Sure, it’s right this way” she says and the two of them head off in the direction of the house.

“Dude, you have to ask her out” Rian says once the girls are out of earshot.
“Who?” I ask. “Genevieve! Duh!” Matt says. “Wh-why would I do that?” I ask stalling for time. “Well I dunno Jack, ‘cause you like her” Zack comments rolling his eyes.
“You do like her right? As in like like” Alex asks. “Yeah I like her, but I can’t just ask her out!” I reply. “Why the fuck not?” Alex asks. “Because…I dunno, what if she thinks that we’re only giving her the job because I have a thing for her?” I ask. “She isn’t gonna think that” Matt says.

“How do you know? I mean it would look kinda weird if we hire her and then straight away I ask her to go out with me…and what if she doesn’t feel the same way? Then it’s just gonna be awkward for the whole entire tour” I say.
“What if she does feel the same way and is just waiting for you to ask her out?” Zack counters.
“I don’t know, ugh I don’t know what to do ok? Yes I like her, and yes I would like to ask her out but I don’t want to make things awkward between us if she doesn’t feel the same way” I explain, and that really is the only thing holding me back, not knowing if she feels the same way about me that I do about her. Well that and not wanting to make her feel awkward around me if she doesn’t like me like that. I mean we’re gonna be going on tour for months and when you’re on tour it’s pretty hard to avoid your crew members.

“Ok look at it this way. Would you rather spend the rest of your life wondering what could have been if you’d asked her out? Or know for sure even if it means you get rejected?” Alex asks. “Bearing in mind that if you don’t tell her how you feel you might have to watch some other guy who does ask her out”

“I don’t know the second one I guess. I’d rather know for sure if she likes me or not than sit around not knowing and then see her end up with some other guy, while in the back of my mind I hear a little voice asking ‘what if’” I say.

“Well then you have your answer don’t you?” Rian says. “Talk to her, tell her how you feel and if she feels the same way great, you can ask her out. And if she doesn’t then…well that would suck but you wouldn’t really have lost anything and at least you would know where you stand.”

"Ok i guess that make's sense" i admit. "But how do i even start that conversation?"
"That you're gonna have to figure out for yourself. But don't leave it too long, Genevieve is a great girl she's not gonna be single foREVer." Zack says.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok here it is! chapter four...i kinda like this chapter
hope you guys do too! please let me know what you think!