‹ Prequel: We're Not Perfect
Status: Active

Mistakes and Misunderstandings

Chapter 1

Rehab had been good for something other than finally getting me clean over my habit of cutting. It had gotten me back into reading. Reading had been my escape from the world before I’d discovered drugs, and now that I was off them, I returned to my books. And during my time locked in with all those counselors, my band had somehow managed to get an album produced. They had gotten a hold of some recordings of our shows and with a little editing, it sounded like I had been in the studio with everyone else. We were now on tour with Escape the Fate, Motionless In White, D.R.U.G.S., and Black Veil Brides for the next few months.

At the moment, I was sitting outside the bus with Max. I was reading, he was staring off into space. Everyone else was inside the bus we were sharing doing hell knows what. I was lost in my favorite novel, Dracula, when I realized Blake was talking to me. Looking up, I saw that Max and Craig were greeting the other bands.

“C’mon Ry, we need to go introduce ourselves,” Blake was saying. I sighed but got up. I turned to take my book back inside the bus when I was told to bring everyone else out. I just nodded in response. Putting my book back in the bunk Max and I were sharing, I got the guys to follow me outside. They’d come to accept my silence, which I appreciated.

My band joined ETF, as they already knew everyone else and would be introducing us. “This is the newest band, The Last Leaf,” Craig would say. “This is their drummer, Aaron, guitarists Jason and Sam, part-time bassist and part-time lead singer, Blake, and my sister and Max’s girlfriend, Rylii, the other bassist and lead singer.” Everyone seemed friendly enough, and we got some strange looks when Blake and I were both identified as the bassist and lead singer, but I couldn’t do what everyone wanted. I just nodded in greeting, not smiling, not speaking.

After the last introductions, everyone dispersed and went in search of drinks and whoever it was they wanted to talk to. I saw Max and Craig exchange looks when I said I was going back to the bus. I didn’t care anymore though. They wanted to have fun and see their friends; they wouldn’t want me hanging onto them. I got my book from the bunk and curled up on the couch to read until the guys came back.

A few hours later, I heard the door opening, letting Max in, leading someone else. I’d heard stories about Max cheating on his previous girlfriends while on tour, but I trusted him not to do that. But I’d also heard stories about him being a complete asshole, but he wasn’t that either. Besides, if Max was going to cheat on me, surely he would have while I was in rehab.

Despite that, part of me was relieved when I saw that it was another who’d followed Max onto the bus. I didn’t remember his name, but based on his clothing style and make-up, I assumed he was from BVB or MIW.

“Ry, this is Ricky Horror, the bassist for Motionless In White. Ricky this is my girlfriend Rylii, the bassist and lead singer for The Last Leaf,” Max said. That solved that problem. Ricky smiled softly but didn’t say anything. He didn’t look unsure of himself, so I assumed he was slightly shy.

I pushed myself further into the corner of the couch as the two came nearer the couch I was sitting on. I relaxed when Max sat next to me. He and Ricky struck up a conversation while I continued reading. I barely noticed when Max got up, saying something about going to find someone for a favor.

“Judging by the state of that book, it’s one of your favorites,” I heard. Looking up, I saw that Ricky was the only one in the room. I nodded in agreement. But saying Dracula was just my favorite book was an understatement; I had almost completely memorized it. “It’s one of my favorites too,” Ricky continued. “Have you read the so-called sequel, Dracula the Un-Dead?”

I nodded before surprising myself. “It was stupid,” I stated.

Ricky laughed. “Glad someone else thinks so. Parts of that book don’t fit with the prequel. Have you gotten the chance to visit Transylvania to see the castle and where Stoker lived when he was writing?”

“I think that was one of the worst books I’ve ever read. It was well written, but like you said, it doesn’t fit. I haven’t been out of the U.S., but I want to go to visit Dracula’s castle.” I didn’t know why, but I was able to talk to Ricky. Maybe it was because he was the first rocker I’d met that had an interest in books. Whatever it was, he had managed to pull me out of my shell.

“You got her to talk to you!?” Max shouted in disbelief. Neither Ricky nor I had noticed his return. “You barely talk to Monet or Robert, who you’ve been living with for almost a year, but you’ll talk to him, who you’ve known for less than an hour?”

I nodded. “We had common interests that none of you share,” I said, holding up my book.

“That makes sense,” Max said looking between us. “I don’t mean to be rude, Ricky, but I’m going to bed, so I’m kicking you off the bus for the night.”

“No worries,” Ricky replied. He bid us goodnight and left, saying he looked forward to getting to hang out with us both again soon.

I waited for the door to close before speaking. “Max, please don’t be mad. Ricky’s the first person who’s had any interest in book, and somehow I just started talking to him, and before I knew it, we were having a full conversation.”

“It’s okay Ry. I’m not mad at you. I’m just glad there’s someone other than Craig and I that you can talk to. I haven’t known Ricky long, but he’s a good guy. Now, let’s get to bed; when everyone else gets back, we’ll be driving to the first venue, and it’s easier to sleep on the bus when you’re asleep before we start moving.”

I followed Max to the bunks. Faintly, I smelled weed. Max was clean though, so he must have been hanging out with someone or passed by someone who was smoking it. Max wouldn’t do that to me. Would he? No, I had to keep telling myself that. He wasn’t back on drugs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Subscriptions and comments are appreciated. Thank you to my two subscribers/commenters from the prequel.