‹ Prequel: A Muggle at Hogwarts
Status: <------- If you haven't read the prequel :)

Another Year at Hogwarts

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Fall of the Dark Lord

I woke up feeling a warm presence around me. I exhaled deeply as I shifted slightly and opened my eyes. A wide smile quickly fell upon my face as I looked up and found Draco still asleep. The two of us had stayed up talking about…well, everything that’s happened this past year. The two of us were still in the hallway, leaning against a wall, which meant that we probably dozed off at one point.

Draco groaned a little bit, but a smile formed on his face as he pulled me closer to him. With his eyes still closed, he said, “I hope I’m not dreaming… I hope that you’re really here with me, Violet.”

“No,” I smiled, “you’re not dreaming, Draco. I’m here.”

"I'm glad to spend today with you, Violet," Draco said revealing his sapphire eyes. "We're alive. Even if it's only for now, we're together, and that means more that you'll ever know to me."

“I love you, Draco,” I whispered as I leaned up and gave him a peck on the lips.

“I love you, too, Violet,” Draco replied. I then noticed his eyes lowering, and then he asked, “When did you put that on?”

“Put what on?” I asked as I looked down as well. To my amazement, overlapping Snape’s charm necklace was the locket I had given back to Harry.

Suddenly, a horrid scream could be heard echoing through the school. Draco and I were immediately on our feet and ran towards the entrance of the school where everyone had seemed to be gathered. The two of us forced our through the doors and into the courtyard where Ginny, Arthur and Neville could be seen standing before a fleet of Death Eaters and Voldemort himself. Hagrid was in the crowd, and at his feet was a motionless Harry.

“Violet,” Draco whispered as I stumbled backwards into his arms a bit.

“Harry Potter was a cowar—” Voldemort began to say, but was interrupted when Neville burst from the crowd and charged towards him. But with a single flick of his wand, Neville was disarmed and on the ground. Voldemort laughed as he asked who his challenger was.

“It’s Neville Lomgbottom, my Lord!” Bellatrix answered as she stepped out from the crowd of Death Eaters. A devilish smirk was on her face as she reminded, “He’s the son of the Aurors, remember?”

“Ah, yes, I remember. But are you a pureblood, aren’t you boy?” Voldemort asked.

“What of it?” Neville scowled as he stumbled back onto his feet.

“You show spirit, my boy. You also come from a noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater.”

“I’ll never join you!” Neville exclaimed. He then turned back to us and with his fist in the air, exclaimed, “DUMBLEDORE’S ARMY!”

As though Voldemort’s charm had warn, everyone burst into cheers.

“If that’s what you chose,” Voldemort exclaimed—his voice magnified, “than we shall make use of your rebelliousness.”

With a wave of his wand, out of one of the castle windows came the Sorting Hat. He then announced that the colors of Salazar Slytherin would fit everyone perfectly. With his wand pointed at Neville. Neville suddenly became stiff and unable to move as the Sorting Hat was placed on his head.

“Neville!” I gasped as I tried to prevent what was going to happen but was suddenly pulled back by Draco when all Death Eaters raised their wands at all of us.

“Restrain yourself, Violet,” Draco whispered to me.

I bit my bottom lip as I turned around and faced Draco. I took hold of his hand and said to him, “Draco, do you trust me?”

His eyes widened. “What are you saying? Of course I do.”

“Then start getting people to move inside,” I quickly said.

“Vi—”

“Please!” I begged. “I’m going to be all right. I promise.”

Draco nodded as he slipped from my hands and hurried back into the larger crowd of people behind us. I quickly began making my way towards the front of the crowd, my wand in hand.

Just as Neville’s scream filled the air, another voice rang from the distant boundary of the school. Suddenly, a giant appeared from the side of the school shouting, “HAGGER!”

At this moment, a number of things happened at once. A grunt was heard from beside Voldemort, as Harry leaped from Hagrid's arms and raced towards the castle. At the sight of the giant, Voldemort’s giants raced towards Grawp as a rain of arrows flew towards the Death Eaters. Everyone was in a panic, and a handful of Death Eaters were beginning to run away as Bellatrix called them cowards and demanded they came back and fight. Voldemort, in his rage of panic simply didn't care about his follower leaving him. He was focused on killing Harry, and fired continuous spells at him as Harry dashed away.

I swung my wand in the air and deflected anything that was coming towards Grawp or the crowd of people around me, while I pushed through the crowd of people towards Neville. When I was able to see him, I cast water at him to put out the inflamed hat on his head.

Just as the flaming hat was hit by the set of water escaping the tip of my wand, almost in slow-motion, I saw something amazing unfold before my eyes. As the hat flew from Neville’s head, his hand reached out for it—not to catch it, but to grab hold of what was inside it. The hat continued to fly as Neville’s hand clutched the object inside it and began to pull it out. Then suddenly, it was revealed, the blade to the Sword of Godric Gryffindor shined in the sunlight as Neville charged for the distracted Dark Lord. And just as his neared, Nagini—Voldemort’s loyal pet—became alert of Neville’s presence and charged.

Voldemort’s eyes quickly came back to Neville, and let out a horrid scream as Nagini’s headless body hit the ground.

“Protego Duo!” I cast in front of Neville before Voldemort’s spell could hit him. I then reached out and grabbed Neville’s hand before running into the castle.

Everyone had been forced into the castle—including Voldemort, who was shooting spells and giving orders to his Death Eaters. Everywhere I looked, I saw people battling. The only two people I didn’t see fighting were Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy, who were running around frantically in search of Draco.

“Y—you! You’re—” he stuttered as he looked at me.

“Violet,” I smiled. I let go of his hand before saying, “You’re extremely brave Neville. You’re parents would be really proud of you.” With that, I ran off into the Great Hall, where a large crowd of people where battling.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” I heard Bellatrix shout. It was then followed by the outraged voice of Molly Weasley, who quickly commenced in a battle with Bellatrix.

I gasped as I saw Mrs. Weasley’s struggle. I quickly ran forward and cast a Shielding Charm before Mrs. Weasley, making one of Bellatrix’s curse bounce off. I could see a confused look fall upon her face as she quickly looked away from Mrs. Weasley to the source of the protection: me.

When her eyes fell upon me, I could see them widening, and I simply smiled back as I locked eyes with her. Slowly, I raised my hand up and waved to her while mouthing ‘good-bye’.

Just seconds afterwards, her body completely froze. Mrs. Weasley drew back her wand before thrusting it forward with all her might. A bright spark left the tip of her wand and flew at Bellatrix, hitting her in the chest. As Bellatrix’s body shattered to pieces, Voldemort’s fierce scream could be heard throughout the hall.

Taking this as I cue, I quickly raced over to Mrs. Weasley and jumped in front of her as Voldemort approached.

When he saw me standing before Mrs. Weasley, he stopped and chuckled. “Do you wish to die child?”

“Seeing as you’ve already failed to kill me once before, I’m not too taken by your threat,” I said bravely with my wand held out in front of me.

His scarlet eyes narrowed. “Who are you?”

“How rude of me. I'm the infamous Violet Bell,” I smiled. “And you’re going to lose. It’s a fact.”

And with that, Harry revealed himself from beneath his Cloak of Invisibility beside me. Everyone—including myself—back away as Harry and Voldemort stared at one another, prepared for their duel.

“This is it—it’s just you and me,” Harry said while clutching his wand tightly in his hands.

Voldemort smirked. “Do you really think you’re going to survive, Harry Potter? It was a mere accident that you survived. But I will not make that mistake again.”

“You’re wrong!” Harry exclaimed. “You really think it was an accident that I hadn’t defend myself last night and that I would stand here today? You wrong—”

“Those were accidents!” Voldemort bellowed with his wand held out. “You, Potter, hide behind those greater than you and expect them to give up their lives for you. You’re a selfish boy, Harry Potter.”

“No one will be dying by your hands anymore, Riddle,” Harry said.

Voldemort’s eyes widened with anger. “You dare to call—!”

“Yes, I dare!” Harry said bravely as he and Voldemort began circling each other. A smile came upon his face as he asked, “You won’t win here. I guarantee that.”

“Is this about love again?” Voldemort questioned—emphasizing his disgust when saying 'love'. “You and Dumbledore are so alike—thinking that love can conquered all. Well, did love save that old fool from dying? No! Love is nothing!”

“Once again you’ve mistaken,” Harry laughed. “You didn’t kill Dumbledore. He choose his death. He asked Snape to kill him months before he actually died. Snape wasn’t your servant. He’s been working against you since you killed my mother and Scarlet Angel—the two women he loved!” Harry shouted.

“Well, this doesn’t matter,” Voldemort said. “After killing Snape, I now own the Elder Wand. You’re finished.”

“I don’t think so,” Harry said. “Snape was never the true master of the Elder Wand. The Elder Wand answers to that person who disarmed it’s last master. Seeing as Draco disarmed Dumbledore before he died and that I had recently disarmed Draco…I believe that makes me the owner of that wand.”

“You’re lying,” Voldemort growled. He then brought his hand up and shouted his spell and a jet of light escaped his wand and flew at Harry. Harry swiftly held his wand up and attacked as well. Both their spells met and collided with one another. Like a tug-a-war the Voldemort’s green jet of light and Harry’s red one pushed against each other. But suddenly, Harry’s red light pushed through, and the Elder Wand flew high into the air. Voldemort stumbled back in horror as Harry reached out and grabbed the Elder Wand from the air.

Voldemort then fell to his knees and his eyes rolled back. Within moments, he was lying on the ground lifeless.