Status: Finished :)

Taking Down the Sunrise

Nineteen

“And so, in conclusion, the male mind is much more complex than the female mind. We don’t rely on little tokens of romance and clandestine glances across the room. We need someone who will be very forward and show their feelings. A clear message is the key to winning a guy’s heart,” James said with a smile.

Lily looked past him to the blackboard he had been writing on and was completely lost as to how he got those conclusions from his diagrams. With a sigh, she said, “I have been forward. And the more forward I am, the more Severus pushes me away.”

“Then maybe you’re with the wrong person,”

She shot him a murderous glare and said, “Is this your honest advice or are you just trying to screw me over?”

James shrugged. He dropped his pointer stick on the ground and walked over to sit next to her on the couch, “Guys just want simple. Forget big gestures, forget the flowers, the chocolates and the fancy French food. Just cook for him. You alone will blow his mind.”

“You really think so?”

He smiled and tucked a lock of fiery red hair behind her ear, “You’ve already blown mine.”

Lily allowed herself a small smile and pushed him away from her gently. Getting up, she grabbed her scroll of notes and said, “You were actually more help than I expected, James. Thank you.”

He nodded. She headed for the door and when she was just about to push open the portrait hole he called, “Lil?”

“Yeah, James?”

“I love you.”

Lily nodded slowly and said, “I know,” before stepping out the door.

***

“Hey, Lily, right?” A voice greeted Lily cheerfully as she headed down to the kitchens. Lily turned, saw Kallie and forced herself to wave instead of groan, “What are you doing all the way down here? Seventh floor give you vertigo?”

Lily rolled her eyes, “No. I’m just going to the kitchens.”

“Why?”

“I don’t see how that’s any of your business.”

Kallie shrugged, “Sorry, I’m just curious. Part of being a Slytherin, I guess. Better than having to pretend you’re scared of nothing because of that burgundy on your robes. I suppose that’s why James’ is such an ass all the time though, he thinks he has to be. Do you think that’s it?”

“He’s not so bad,”

Kallie nodded, bemused and walked beside Lily in silence for a few moments. After a while, she let out a sharp laugh and said, “You were joking, right? I mean, James practically made a sport out of cursing your boyfriend until he cries. He does it almost every Saturday. If you’re defending him you’re practically-”

“Practically what?” Lily snapped.

“Practically saying you love him more than Severus. And if that’s the case, well then, I guess it’s up to me-”

“Shut up,” Lily said sharply. She turned on her heel and shoved the other girl into the nearest stone wall. Her green eyes on fire with a jealous fury, she hissed, “I love Severus and he loves me. And I don’t know who the hell you think you are, but he will never love you the way he loves me. He surprises me all the time and he takes my breath away by saying yes to the simplest things. We don’t need the big dates that some people need to fall in love, we just know. And he will never, ever take you outside to picnic in the cold September breeze or tell you you’re special when everyone else thinks you’re a freak. So get away from me and keep the hell away from him. You got me?”

Kallie bobbed her head up and down silently. Lily shook her head at the Slytherin girl and headed off to the kitchen. With an amused smile, Kallie turned and headed back to the Slytherin common room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry it took that long. It's spring break (even though it's snowing outside...) so I will update a lot during this week. The next chapter might be out today, but will definitely be up tomorrow. I'm hoping for this to be finished by mid-april but maybe the end of the april if I have a lot to do in class. I hope you loved this chapter and don't forget to read, subscribe and comment!
-Pigzxo