Sequel: Homecoming

Goodbye Life As I Know It

Chapter 7

It was Monday morning and we all piled into the car to head out shopping. Billie drove and mom sat in the passenger seat. I sat in the back in between Tre and Mike. I had my iPod on nearly full blast at the start of my playlist; Song of the Century. Billie glanced back at me.
"Whatcha listening to?"
The song had just switched. "Going to Pasalacqua."
"Do you listen to anything besides us," Tre asked, puting his arm around my waist.
"Yeah."
Mike raised his brows. "Like?"
"Foxboro Hot Tubs, The Network-"
"The Network? Man they suck," Billie said with a smirk.
We all laughed except for my mom.
"Is there a joke I should be getting?"
"It's their undercover band. They wear masks, and go by different names. If someone were to ask them, they'd deny it though."
"Why form a new band?"
"So they can experimient with new types of music. The Network was new wave rock and it didn't go over the best, so they dropped that idea. Foxboro Hot Tubs is like modernized '70s rock. That went good, so their new album is a cross between that and some of their older stuff like Warning."
"Spot on, my little stalker," Tre said.
I asumed that was my new nickname....
"Couldn't have said it better myself," Mike laughed. "But still, that's all us. Anything else?"
"Sum 41, Metric...um...Well that's about it."
Billie and my mom started their own conversation that didn't relate to music for once. Mike drank his coffee in silence. I rested my head on Tre's shoulder and closed my eyes, yawning.
"You're still tired?"
I nodded. "I usually don't get up until eleven. Ten's early for me."
He chuckled. "You live the life of a rock star."
"Minus the intrument part."
"You can't play anything?"
"Nope."
"Guitar?"
"Tried but failed."
"Bass?"
"Hands aren't big enough."
"Drums?"
"I want to, but I don't have any and I don't have lessons."
He grinned. "You know, I'm a pretty good drummer."
"I'll let you know when I get drums. That'll be, maybe, five years. I'm broke."
"Don't you have a job?"
I shook my head. "I applied for one, but I don't know if I got it. Ya see, a coffee shop is pretty much the only place I can work. Or maybe at a department store. Somewhere that doesn't involve a lot of walking and remembering. I can't walk ten steps without tripping over something."
"Don't worry, if you fall while we're shopping, I'll catch you."
"Thanks, and I probably will. I have the worst cordination in the world."
"How can you hear me over the music?"
I shrugged. "You can't make out the words, can you?"
"No."
"Well that's how. But when it's loud enough to make out the words from across the room, people know to leave me alone," I explained.
He brushed my bangs off to the side and out of my eye. "You look punk. With you headphones and hair." He played with a strand of my hair.
We kept talking for a while longer. Mike joined the conversation too. I was asking a lot about touring and what it was like. We pulled in to the outlet mall and got out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shopping spree in the next chapter! Possibly more flirting. More Mike I hope. He's kind of the awkward one out. Sorry about that. I know a lot more about how Tre and Billie act than Mike. I just know he's pretty quiet and laid back most of the time. Gotta figure out how to get him to not be the third wheel...Ooh! I got it! It's a surprise!