Status: Rated PG-13 for Violence, Innuendo and Blasphemous Plot

The Wayward Son

Healing Process

Taylor sat in the hospital waiting area, her hands shaking nervously. She woke to the firefighters’ sirens. Grabbing only a pair of shorts and a tank top, Taylor ran. Barefooted, she ran. She had no proof that Remy was hurt, but knowing him, he would’ve ran inside. As she got to the fire, her theory was proven true.

Now she was here. Still in pajamas. Still worried. The doctors had given her a pair of shoes, but that didn’t make it any better. Her body was frozen over with guilt. Remy had been with her only two months and he was in the hospital.

The people explained to her that Remiel had saved that woman. That he ran blindly into the fire to help someone he didn’t even know. That he was a hero. Taylor knew that already, but he wasn’t supposed to. He had forgotten, yet he continued protecting those who needed it. Even going so far as to put himself in harm’s way to do so. To be hurt to do so. To die.

“Miss Lane?” a doctor called out into the room.

Hastily, Taylor rose to her feet and ran to the doctor. “How is he? Please, is Remy okay?” she asked, a tear forming at the corner of her eye.

“His spine wasn’t broken or splintered, but it did take a heavy hit, sending his nervous system into shock. We have put him under to stabilize him. Only time will tell how he will fair. I have high hopes though,” the doctor explained.

“Can I see him?”

“Yes.”

The doctor led Taylor down the halls to a small room, where Remy laid on his chest. Without a word, Taylor rushed to Remiel’s side and took his hand. The doctor saw that as he cue to leave and closed the door. Taylor inspected Remy’s face. Calm, but scarred. Touches of burnt skin marked his face and down his back and arms. The main wound branded him at the small of his back, still fresh and bleeding some. Touching a hand to Remiel’s cheek and broke down. Tears falling to the ground as she looked at him.

“Why?” Taylor asked the unconscious Remiel, “Why would you do this?”

“It’s his nature,” Taylor heard a familiar voice say. Looking up, she saw Gabriel standing at the door. Same as before, just without wings. “Since the first time Remiel saw someone get hurt, he had been trying to stop it.”

Taylor looked at the angel and witnessed the pain. Gabriel hated seeing his comrade like this and knowing that he was unable to do anything because of orders. He was a soldier. He had to follow orders.

“What are you doing here? You could’ve helped him. Helped that woman. Something!” Taylor was shouting at Gabriel.

Gabriel cringed. It was true. Gabriel could’ve had that woman out in seconds, but he wasn’t allowed. It wasn’t his job. “I’m sorry,” he said, but the pain remained. “I wish I had Remiel’s ability to rebel.”

“Rebel?”

Gabriel sat in the chair across on the other side of the bed and looked to Remy. After a second, he explained. “Remiel is not the most loyal angel. Not to his command at least. To his comrades, he would die in a second to keep any one angel alive. He would die to keep any human alive. It’s just how he is. He would commit the greatest sin to save someone and has done so before.”

“He’s an angel. How could he have sinned?”

Gabriel sighed, “Long ago, Remiel was the guardian of an Egyptian boy, who was maybe seven years old. The boy was destined to die at the hands of the current pharaoh. Remiel didn’t like this idea and when the boy did actually die, he broke the laws of nature and brought her back. Afterwards, the boy was thought to blessed by the Egyptians’ gods and soon became the pharaoh. His name was Amenhotep, later Alhenaten. Remiel kept him alive and caused that string of history to happen.”

Taylor’s shock overwhelmed her. She’d been reading Remiel’s book, but hadn’t read anything about Egypt yet. She was still back in Babylon. “What happened to him?” she asked.

“He was detained. Chained to the peak of Everest for three centuries. When released, they asked him if he would do it again. He said yes. He would never let someone innocent die on his watch. To this day, he hasn’t.”

“He kept bringing people back to life?”

Gabriel smirked and answered, “I’m sure he would have, if Uriel didn’t take his ability of resurrection. He just protected them as best he could and the hierarchy had kept him from guarding anyone “destined” to die.”

Taylor smiled. That made her feel better. “Is he going to be okay?” she asked. The question was still haunting her.

“Yeah. He’s a lot stronger than most. He‘ll wake up soon.”

“Really?” Taylor’s smile grew.

Gabriel stood up and walked back to the door. Before he opened the door, Gabriel turned back to Taylor and said, “Listen. Remy will ask about the girl he saved. Tell him that she is alive and well thanks to him. It will make his day. See you around.”

With that, Gabriel walked the door, leaving Taylor with a smile. She slumped back in her chair and watched Remy. She kept learning more about him. He had saved lives all his life, which by her count, was over seven thousands years worth. That was the only thing that bothered her, but she didn’t mind dating an older guy. Especially one that looked like an eighteen year old male model.

“Were you crying?” Remy asked, scaring Taylor half to death.

Taylor immediately jumped towards him and planted a kiss. Breaking off, she hugged him, making sure to stay clear of his wound. Wiping another tear from her eyes, she kissed Remiel again and looked at him. “You’re in a hospital, Remy. Of course I was crying,” Taylor told him.

Remy smiled. He was happy to see Taylor. It made him feel better. Thinking about what happened, he asked, “How’s the girl? Is she…”

“She’s fine,” Taylor cut him off, “Thanks to you, she’s alive.”

Remiel relaxed. That was good. “What did the doctor say about my back?”

Taylor laughed. “Person you saved first and your own health after. You’re funny. You’ll be okay. You just need to rest.”

Remiel smiled and put a finger to his lips. Without hesitation, Taylor sat up again and kissed him. Neither had been any more happier than in that moment. Never more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Look. No cliffhanger. Be happy. Be very happy. All is well. Next chapter soonish. Til then, leave some comments. I enjoy them. Deuce.

About that history deal by the way. Akhenaten kind of messed up Egypt for awhile. So it was a big deal that he lived.