What You Want, What You Need

And Here's Another

It was about 10:30 when I made my way down to Lexi’s apartment with a breakfast sandwich and a french vanilla from Tim Horton’s. I decided that I wanted to pay her back for such an amazing time last night. And besides, she’s my best friend. I should be bringing her breakfast just because she’s...well..her.
After I knocked it took a while for Lexi to answer, and when she did I noticed she looked at little...awful. She probably just woke up.
“Josh? What the fuck are you doing down here so early?” By the way she was leaning against the door frame, it was as if she was about to faint.
“I just came down here to give you this.” I said while holding her breakfast out in front of her. After tiredly rubbing her eye she stared at the bag and coffee cup with so much confusion in her gaze.
“Josh that was so sweet of you but...why? I mean, I’m not trying to sound rude. It’s just that you’ve never bought me breakfast before. Why now?”
I walked inside Lexi’s apartment a little more and closed the door behind me. “For a great birthday. And because you’re the greatest friend in the world and I should’ve done this sooner.” I gave a friendly little kiss on the cheek and set the bag and cup on the kitchen counter.
“C’mon, Josh, it was your birthday. I don’t expect to get anything in return for doing something for your birthday.”
“Of course you don’t expect it, but you’re getting it anyways.” I sat beside Lexi on the kitchen counter after she did the same a few seconds before.
Lexi just giggled and hugged me side ways. “Okay then. Thanks, Ramsay.”
“No problem, Reece.” I replied. I gave her a little hug back, said a tiny goodbye and headed towards the door.
“Wait, you’re leaving?” Lexi stopped me by gently holding my arm and I turned around to face her again.
“Yeah, I’ve gotta head down to the studio to track some guitars with Matt. If you want you can come.” Which I really wanted her to do. It’d be nice for someone to hear what we’ve got so far.
“Oh, okay! Um, let me just get ready quickly.”
“Um, have you forgotten who you are? Quickly isn’t quick enough for you.” And it’s true, it’s not. She’ll say she’ll be ready in about 10 minutes, but she’s always finished in an hour.
“Don’t worry, I’ll hurry up just for you.” I had a hard time believing that. But surprisingly she did and her usual hour was cut down to about ten minutes.
“Wow, you were quick.” I smiled at her and took in her black ripped skinnies, purple Keep Calm and Have a Cupcake tshirt, and red converse. I think my casual sense of style has rubbed off on her.
“I told you I would be.” She smiled right back while she took her handbag from off the edge of a kitchen chair and grabbed the breakfast II bought her. “Now let’s go. I really wanna hear what you’ve got so far for Ever After.”
“Alright, let’s go!” My tone suddenly became all high and excited. Not a surprise though.
We left our apartment building and took a 20 minute drive down to my studio. When we arrived we noticed Matt was already there with a tall, beautiful brunette standing beside him.
“Hey Matt. What’re you doing here so early?” It was kind of unusual. I’m always the first one here.
“Me and Katie went to go get breakfast and-” Matt suddenly stopped in the middle of his sentence and smacked his forehead. “Sorry, I should’ve introduced you guys first. Katie, this is Josh and Lexi. Josh and Lexi, Katie. She’s my cousin. She’s moving to Vancouver for school.”
“Yeah, I was excepted into UBC. My major’s visual art.” Katie added.
“I’m helping her get settled.” Matt spoke again. “And I decided that while she’s here, she could get a little taste of what we’ve got so far.”
“Cool, so should we get everything set and ready for these girls before tracking the guitars?” I suggested.
“Sure, let’s go.” Me and Matt walked away from the girls for second to set everything up.We’ve been working our asses off, so I hope they like what they hear.
(Lexi’s P.O.V)
Josh and Matt walked into the recording room, leaving me and Katie alone on the couch infront of it.
“So... this is where all the magic happens?” Katie laughed.
I gave her a warm smile after talking the last sip of my french vanilla. “Yeah, I guess so. I can’t wait to hear what the guys have done.”
“Yeah, me too” It was quiet for a few seconds before Katie began speaking again. “So are you and Josh...ya know.. together?” Something in the way she said that kind of sounded like she was upset with the thought of me and Josh being a couple. Was she into him too?
“No, not at all. We’ve been friends since we were about 4 or 5. But he does have a girlfriend though. Her names Amanda. God, I hated saying her name.
“Oh. I was gunna say that you’re lucky to have such an awesome guy like Josh. Matt’s told me all about him and their shenanagins. He sounds pretty awesome.”
“Believe me, he is. One of the greatest guys you could ever meet.” My gaze shifted from her to floor and my voice faded. I don’t why I’m still trying to figure out why she asked me about Josh and I being together. She was probably just curious. I don’t know why I have to always think there’s some huge explanation behind everything.
“Well, that Amanda girl is pretty lucky though. And you still are too. Being best friends with him for pretty much forever and all.” She was right. Even though I’m not Josh’s girlfriend, I’m luck enough to know someone as sweet, funny, caring and talented as him. And besides, I’ve known him longer than Amanda has.
“Actually I think Josh is pretty lucky to know me.”I joked. “If it wasn’t for me, he would be as stylish as he is now. Or as sassy.”
Katie laughed and nodded. “Probably not.” Katie and I sat on the couch talking and laughing about a whole lot of things until Josh and Matt came back out and played some songs for us. After that, we watched Matt and Josh track some guitars for a few hours. When we got bored or whenever they took a break we’d play some Mortal Combat or talk a little bit. At around 1 or so, I received a text from Ashley asking to hang out.
“Hey guys, is it okay if I leave now? I’m gunna meet Ashley at Starbucks.” I asked Josh and Matt who were barely paying attention to me. They were too focused on the arcade game.
“What? Oh, uh yeah, it’s fine.” Josh replied, probably-no- definitely not paying attention to a word he was saying. Shortly afterwards, he began cursing at the game due to the fact that Matt was kicking his ass.
When Josh finally lost (hahaha...) he turned around and gave me a tight squeeze. “Alright.” he sighed. “I’ll see you later, okay?”
“Okay.” I giggled. “And thanks again for the breakfast.”
“No problem.”
“Oh hey!” Matt chimed in. “Why don’t you go with Lexi, Katie? I’m pretty sure you’ll get bored here if me and Josh are working and you’re just sitting there by yourself.”
“Sure.” Katie chirped while getting up from off the couch and grabbing her handbag. “I guess I’ll see you guys later.”
“See ya!” Josh and Matt replied simultaneously. We waved goodbye before heading out the studio and into my Escalade.
“Didn’t you and Josh come here together?” Katie asked.
“Yup, but he’ll probably just go home with Matt when they’re finished.” I started the engine and drove away from the studio and towards heaven (as Mike would say). White chocolate mocha, here I come. Oh, and Ashley too. Haha.
♠ ♠ ♠
From The fabulous mind that brought you Brett: The Were-Ninjedi! ;D