Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Six: You Have a Friend Regardless

Two weeks went by and Merlin and I were no closer to figuring out why I was there. Today, I was out with Arthur. He had asked me to a horseback ride around Camelot and a picnic.

“So how are you enjoying Camelot?” Arthur asked as he popped a grape in his mouth. We were deep in the forest near a creek. I really didn’t want to be there but Uther had insisted I “explore” Camelot. I could see the wheels turning in his head. He was pushing me towards Arthur.

“It’s beautiful here. The people are all so nice and cheerful.” I replied kindly. Now don’t get me wrong Arthur is cute with his blond hair and sky blue eyes that make me want to swoon. But he loved Gwen. He didn’t know it yet but he did and I was not going to come in between he and Gwen. Because I knew this, I never showed my attraction to the young prince. Much to Uther’s displeasure, I did the opposite. I teased and hassled Arthur any chance I had. So what if he was a prince, I was a princess. I could do what I want. It’s his own fault. He said I was royalty and I milked it.

“You seem distracted.” He questioned, interrupting my thoughts.

“I’m just thinking of the future.” I sighed. Arthur gave me a puzzled look. “What? Did you think I was thinking of you?” I quirked.

Arthur coughed. “No. Just curious about what about the future you were thinking of.”

“I don’t know... just where I will live and how my life will change. But mostly how to get away from your father.” I chuckled. I didn’t have much freedom because of Uther’s commands when he saw I spent too much time with the commoners. He believed I had a “responsibility” to my people to stay safe. Though he never force to me to return “home” he would not allow me to leave the castle alone. However, I found a way around it.

After the first week in Camelot, Uther gave me a handmaid, Ava. Ava’s father owned a small pub but it was rarely full as it was on the outskirts of town. I quickly befriended her and she would help cover for me with Uther.

“My father means well.” Arthur said seriously.

“I suppose so. But I wish he would let go of the ridiculous idea of us.” I fumed. If Uther only knew the truth.

“What makes you say that?” He questioned.

“You’re really asking that?” He raised an eyebrow at my question. “Ugh. All week he has been hinting that we should spend time together. It’s quite annoying because I’m trying to help Gaius but noooo; I’m not allowed to do servant’s work so I have to work in secret.” I ranted.

“You don’t have to help Gaius, you’re a Lady.” Arthur acknowledged.

“You’re forgetting that I’m not a Lady, which was a lie that you came up with. And even if I were a real Lady, I would still help Gaius if I wanted. I’m not going to act better than him just because of my status.” I explained.

“I don’t understand you sometimes. You have the opportunity to be royalty, yet all you want to be is a commoner.”

“It’s not that I don’t think it’s nice to be royal; it’s just that I like to help people. I don’t think I deserve to just sit around and let others do my work. And I said I would help Gaius before I earned a new title.”

“You are one strange person.” Arthur stated miraculously.

“If you say so.” I laughed. “So, my new friend, why did you lie to your father?” I asked.

“It’s not important.” He said shrugging off my question.

Come on, I answered your questions.” I whined.

“It’s getting late. We should go back.” He said avoiding me.

“Arthur, why won’t you just answer the question?” I pondered.

“It’s not important.’ He said exasperated.

“I’m not leaving until I get answers.” I stood akimbo facing Arthur with a look of determination.

“Why are you so stubborn? I order you to get on your horse.” Arthur commanded.

“No. I want answers.” I said standing my ground.

“No?” Arthur asked incredulously. No one had ever told him no, well except for Merlin. He then started to chuckle. The chuckle became a laugh and I began to wonder if he was okay. I dare not ask to keep my defiance. “You just don’t get, do you?” he finally said.

“Get what?” I asked confused. What was there to understand?

“You don’t treat me like the future king of Camelot. It’s like you don’t understand how the world works. You treat me as a person. Occasionally, Merlin does the same but he fears the consequences. He fears I’ll throw him in the stocks. And yes sometimes I do have to because it’s in front of important people and I have to demand respect. But you, you never fear my anger. You know that I know the truth of your station, yet you still tell me the truth. Why?” He finished. I bowed my head in confusion at first, but soon realization hit. Of course, you have to watch your words. He has the power to lock you up and throw away the key. But I never felt the need to fear his kindness deep down. His want for honesty. I looked up to see Arthur looking into my eyes. Curse the gorgeous blue eyes. Shield!

I finally responded, “I don’t know. I suppose I felt you needed someone to treat you as just Arthur. Where I grew up, everyone treated everyone the same. Royalty could associate with their people. If you fear how this treatment will appear to others, I’ll stop.” I bowed my head in defeat. Arthur sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. I bit my lip, gawds he was hot when he did that. Shield.

“I didn’t tell you that to stop. You wanted the truth and I gave it.” He said walking towards me. “I like it. I feel like I don’t have any worries. That I’m a normal person.” He said thoughtfully.

I bit my lip again this time in thought. “But then why did you ask me to the banquet? I never teased you before then.”

“Yes but you never fawned over meeting the prince. You acted the same as you do with Merlin. There was also just something unexplainable that made me curious about you.” He explained. For a while, we both just stood there thinking about what was just said. After a while, I began to pick up the picnic supplies. Arthur said Merlin would get it but I had insisted we collect it. He complained it was servants work but finally relented after I gave him a scolding look. We packed up the horses and returned home.

“Cadi” Arthur said as the castle came into view.

“Yes?”

“What I said in the forest is never to be mentioned again.” He stated firmly.

“Whatever do you mean?” I said as I looked at him with a dumb expression and I knew he understood me. “Hey, race you back!” I yelled as I urged Phillip into a gallop. Yes, I named my horse. Deal with it.

“Cheater!” He called in my dust. No, I was still going to treat him as a friend but maybe just a little bit more secretively. After all, everyone needs an honest friend.