Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Eight: But You Weren't Suppose to be Here

I spent the better part of the day, much to Gaius’ displeasure, organizing the books and vials in his lab. I hadn’t been awake when Merlin left, it would have been too painful watching his horse take him away. Uther and Gaius suggested no one leave Arthur’s side and so we took shifts watching his sleeping form. Everyone was becoming less hopeful as Arthur’s health deteriorated. I relieved Gwen for the night.

Taking a washcloth, I wiped Arthur’s brow, “You’re going to be alright. You will be saved. It’s your destiny to become a great king. I know it.” I whispered. I didn’t mention Merlin because there was the possibility that he could hear my whispering. “Besides, if you don’t survive, who am I going to tease? I suppose I could tease Merlin but it wouldn’t be the same. He doesn’t react like you do.” I took the cloth I was using and dipped in the water, wrung it, and placed it on Arthur’s forehead. I then took the seat next to him and just watched his breathing, eventually falling asleep.

“Cadi. Wake up.” I heard someone whisper. My eyes fluttered open.

“Merlin! You’re back!” I quickly yelled as I jumped into his arms awkwardly. I embraced him for a moment and let go. “Did it work?” I asked worried.

“We’ll find that out in a minute.” Merlin replied making his way towards Arthur. He sat behind Arthur, holding Arthur’s head up, Gaius gave him a few drops of what appeared to be water in a strange flask. As they gave the remedy, Uther appeared in the doorway asking what they were giving Arthur.

“It’s uhm… a mixture made from the lobelia plant. An ancient remedy for poisonous bites.” Gaius explained.

“A cure?” Uther asked hopeful.

“We hope.” I replied, biting my nail. Gaius continued giving Arthur the remedy.

“Perhaps we should leave him to rest.” Gaius stated.

“I will not leave his side.” Uther stated firmly, staring at Arthur with hope and fear in his eyes. We bowed our heads as we left Arthur’s chambers, leaving Uther sitting worried by Arthur’s side. We returned to Gaius’ chambers to await the results of Arthur. No one spoke we just sat, stood, and paced, waiting. As a physician, Gaius could not wait with us long before returning to Arthur.

By nightfall, Arthur took his first deep breath in a long time. A sigh of relief was heard throughout the castle by everyone, but for Merlin it was only short lived. Gaius suspected that Merlin had bargained his life but no one wanted to say it out loud. I could feel the intensity in the room between Merlin and Gaius. I desperately wanted to speak to Merlin in hope that he bargained something else but I knew that he didn’t. Gaius left the room to return to Arthur and check his recovery.

“You did it.” I replied, unsure of what to say.

“Yeah.” He said, somberly.

“Uhm, for what it’s worth… I think you were very brave to do what you did… and I’m really going to miss you.” I said hurting inside at the thought of losing yet another friend in such a short time. This time, Merlin initiated the hug. I refused to cry because I had to be strong for him in this moment. For the longest time we just stood there in each other’s embrace, living in that moment.

“Thank you.” Merlin whispered as we pulled apart. “I’m glad we met.”

I walked towards the door and before I left I replied, “Me too.” As soon as I shut the door, I again ran to my room and fell asleep. Crying.

I woke up early the next day, too anxious to sleep any longer; I walked to Gaius’ chambers. When I arrived, the door was slightly opened. Strange. I walked in and on the ground was a person. I rushed over, yelling for Gaius, to check if they were okay. I turned the body and noticed it was a woman. Sick.

“No.” I whispered as Gaius reached us. “Gaius… no. This isn’t happening.” I cried in shock.
Gaius shushed me. “Don’t wake Merlin.” He hushed as he checked for signs of life. My dream came true again. What was happening? Who was this woman?”

“Gaius? What happened to her?” I asked, half-hysterical.

“I don’t know yet. But she is alive.” He said still examining his patient as the door to Merlin’s room opened.

“Gaius! I’m alive!” Merlin exclaimed exiting his room. He was okay! But how? “What is it? Who’s that?”

“Merlin stay there.” Gaius warned. Why was Gaius hiding this woman from Merlin? Was her sickness contagious? Was I infected? But why is Merlin still alive? Not that I’m not glad.

“What is going on?” Merlin asked unaware coming closer and finally seeing who the woman was. “Mother?” He asked in shock. Mother? Oh no. It took the wrong life. This was his mother. “What happened to her?”

“She’s gravely ill.” Gaius responded. Well duh. Of course she is, Arthur was gravely ill before too and now she’s taken his place. I knew Merlin should have offered my life. I should explain. Yes, I feel horrible. Merlin’s mother is dying because of him but I’m more irritated at magic for taking the wrong life. And I’m still freaking out because I half knew this would happen.

“Gaius, you have to help her!” Merlin cried out.

“If I could, I would.” Gaius replied helplessly. “Who helped you at the Isle of the Blessed?”

“Nimueh.” Merlin replied focusing on his dying mother. “She asked for a life and I bargained mine, not my mother’s!” Merlin answered agitated.

“I wish there was something I could do.” Gaius said somberly.

“I will make you better.” Merlin promised to his mother rushing out of the room no doubt to see the dragon.

“Gaius, we should move her.” I finally spoke, pulling myself together.

“Yes. We can put her in Merlin’s bed.” Gaius said standing up. We carefully lifted her and placed her in the bed. I got a wet cloth and laid in on her forehead. Gaius gave her a tonic to help her sleep and dull the pain.

“Still say my dreams are a coincidence?” I questioned Gaius after we left the room.

“Hmm?” Gaius said unaware to what I was referring to.

“I told you a woman would show up here sick and it happened. I just didn’t know it was Merlin’s mother.” I simply said.

“I still believe it could be a coincidence.” Gaius responded looking at one of his books.

“I’m going to talk to the Great Dragon.” I stated.

“I don’t think that you’ll get any answers. It’s nothing to worry about.” Gaius tried to reassure me.

“I told you I would go to the dragon if this happened and I’m going to talk to the dragon.” I said standing on my convictions. I left before Gaius could respond. I headed towards the catacombs of the castle, taking the route, that Merlin had taught me the first time I saw the Great Dragon. As I walked, I saw Merlin coming down the corridor, angry at the day’s events. I quickly hid behind a tapestry because I did not feel that Merlin should also be burdened with my nonsensical ponderings when he was already dealing with Arthur and his mother. When reached the guards I waited until they were deeply distracted by their dice game before I headed down the stairs with a torch. I could hear the growling of the dragon.

“Hello?” I said timidly as I walked onto the small ledge by the dragon. He looked furious.

“Yes young witch?” He replied with bitterness in his voice.

“Why do you call me that?” I questioned. “I can’t practice magic.”

“I can feel your power growing within you.” He stated.

“But that’s not possible. I can’t be a witch. Magic doesn’t exist where I’m from.” I said confused. At least not that I was aware of.

“Your destiny, much like Merlin’s is a great one.” He said cryptically. Dammit.

“What are you talking about? Why didn’t you tell me when we came before?” I ranted.

“Your destiny is yours and yours alone to learn. I know very little of it as the book about your coming was lost many years ago.”

“But why are you just telling me now? What does this mean?”

“Find the book and you will find your answers.”

“But where is the book?”

“I cannot help you as I do not know.” Well thanks for nothing.

“What about Merlin and his mother?” At the mention of Merlin, the dragon growled. “What did he say when he came here?”

“That is not your business.” The dragon growled perching on his hind legs.

“Very well. What of his mother? Can she not be saved?” I asked.

“Merlin intends to offer his life for his mother’s.” Merlin was still going to die… I couldn’t let that happen. Not when I could stop it.

“How do you get to the Isle of the Blessed?” I asked quickly.

“Beyond the white mountains, and through the valley of the fallen kings. It lies to the North of the Great Seas of Meredor on a lake.”

“What is your name?” I ask respectfully.

“Kilgharrah.” He replied.

“Thank you Kilgharrah.” I said bowing my head before I left. I was going to save Merlin’s life whether he liked it or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am sad to say that school is keeping me busy and so my updates have caught up to my story. My goal is to still update every Wednesday but I'm not going to rush the chapters so updates may be slow.

Thank you to all my readers. Seeing the subscribers go up inspires me to write more.
Comments are still greatly appreciated, any at all. I can take anything :D

Disclaimer: Dialogue mirroring that from BBC Merlin, belong to BBC.