Un Amour Comme Non Autre

Chapter 2: The Choice He Never Had

“That’s a lovely name,” I said, giving him a coy smile.

He smiled back at me and held his arm out, indicating he would lead me onto the dance floor.

“It can’t be lovelier than yours.”

I blushed again.

“Catherine Babineaux.” I looked up directly into his eyes.

“I wasn’t wrong,” he remarked, as we reached the dance floor.

The song was a medium paced waltz. Lestat put his arm around me and placed his hand on my lower back. My right hand intertwined with his left. I smiled at how delightful it felt. We began turning, all the while staring into each other’s eyes, not speaking any words. I spun past Brigitte, and she smiled, obviously happy that I was dancing with Lestat. We danced, gazing at one another, like some magnetic force was at work that couldn’t tear us apart. The song soon ended, much to my dismay, but Lestat asked me if I wanted to go outside for some fresh air, to which I agreed.

We went into the gardens in the back. There was a full moon out that night, which made Lestat’s skin shine beautifully. He led me over to a stone bench, where we sat next to each other, our legs almost touching. It made my stomach do flips. What was it about this man that was so different from all the others I’ve ever met? I couldn’t answer it, but I knew that I was captivated, and there was no getting out.

“You don’t say a lot Ms. Babineaux.” He smiled.

“Oh, please. Call me Catherine,” I laughed.

“If you wish,” he smiled, and took of his mask.

“This thing is so constricting, I could barely...breathe.” He smiled again almost deviously. I wondered why, but didn’t dare ask. He looked up at me, and, I must have looked silly. I could feel my jaw drop. He was more beautiful than I had pictured. My imagination didn’t do him justice.

“Now, let’s see what you have hiding under yours.” He slipped my mask off.

“Why, you’re breath taking!”

“Oh, Lestat, you exaggerate.”

“No, I most surely don’t.”

That’s when it happened. He lifted his right hand to my face. I noticed he had a silver object on his thumb, and could feel the coolness of it against my warm flesh, but before I could ask, he landed his lips on mine, soft, at first.

“I hope I haven’t moved to fast.”

“Oh, no, not at all.”

He gave me another kiss, this time more forceful. He became so passionate, I was unprepared. His tongue licked my bottom lip, begging for entrance. I let his tongue enter my mouth. It was oddly, cold, but it felt so good to be wrapped up in this, this, passionate embrace, I paid no mind. Our tongues danced over each other. I placed my hands on the back of his neck, pulling me closer to him. He soon broke the kiss and began kissing down to my jawline, to my neck.

It gave me the shivers. I’ve never kissed anyone like this before. And then the whole mood changed. He became like stone, his grip tightened, he stopped kissing me and then he sank his teeth down into my flesh. I screamed and screamed. I could feel the life slipping away from me. My sight was growing hazy and black. I slumped into his shoulder. He grabbed me up in his arms and carried me somewhere. He was so smooth; it was almost as if we were flying. When we got to the destination, he laid me up against a tree, and waited for me to come to. When I had I could barely speak, but managed to find some strength still left in me.

“W-what are, you doing?” I slurred.

“Don’t be afraid,” he said. “I’m going to give you the choice I never had.”