Status: Hiatus

You Get What You Deserve

Magical Menagerie

There wasn’t much room inside the Magical Menagerie. Every inch of wall was hidden by cages. It was smelly and very noisy because the occupants of these cages were all squawking, jabbering or hissing. The witch behind the counter was already advising a wizard on the care of double-ended newts, so we waited, examining the cages.

A pair of enormous purple toads sat gulping wetly and feasting on dead blowflies. A gigantic tortoise with jewel-encrusted shell was glittering near the window. Poisonous orange snails were oozing slowly up the side of their glass tank, and a fat white rabbit kept changing into a silk top hat and back again with a loud popping noise. Then there were cats of every colour, a noisy cage of ravens, a basket of funny custard-coloured furballs that were humming loudly, and, on the counter, a vast cage of sleek black rats which were playing some sort of skipping game using their long bald tails.

The double-ended-newt wizard left and Ron approached the counter.

“It’s my rat,” he told the witch. “He’s been a bit off-colour ever since I brought him back from Egypt.”

“Bang him on the counter,” said the witch, pulling a pair of heavy black spectacles out of her pocket.

Ron lifted Scabbers out of his inside picket and placed him next to the cage of his fellow rats, who stopped their skipping tricks and scuffled to the wire for a better look. Like nearly everything Ron owned, Scabbers the rat was second-hand (he had once belonged to Ron’s brother Percy) and a bit battered. Next to the glossy rats in the cage, he looked especially woebegone.

“Hm,” said the witch, picking Scabbers up. “How old is this rat?”

“Dunno,” said Ron. “Quite old. He used to belong to my brother.”

“What powers does he have?” said the witch, examining Scabbers closely.

“Er –“ said Ron. The truth was that Scabbers had never shown the faintest trace of interesting powers. The witch’s eyes moved from Scabbers’ tattered left ear to his front paw, which had a toe missing, and tutted loudly.

“He’s been through the mill, this one,” she said.

“He was like that when Percy gave him to me,” said Ron defensively.

“An ordinary, common or garden rat like this can’t be expected to live longer than three years or so,” said the witch. “Now, if you were looking for something a bit more hard-wearing, you might like one of these...”

She indicated the black rats, who promptly started skipping again.

“Show-offs,” I muttered, and walked over to Hermione.
♠ ♠ ♠
What's this?ANOTHER CHAPTER?! Well yeah. So I have this friend Brian, right, and she really wants me to start writing the fourth book cause its her favourite. HOW IS IT HER FAVOURITE IF YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN IT you ask? Welp, she helps me plan what's going to happen so yeah. My favourite is without a doubt the fifth one (:
Comment or the rats'll be show offs.
-Josifer c: