Saving Darcy

#6

“So what's really up?”

Darcy hadn't spoke many words to Zacky since they had left the school. He knew she didn't really talk much, but it was her tone of voice and the fact she was obviously crying when he had spotted her running across the gym that made him concerned. He wasn't one for letting a girl go if she was upset, he was brought up in a good way, to treat them with respect. His mother meant a lot to him, and her words did too.

“Girl problems.” She sniffed and smiled weakly at him.

He knew it wasn't girl problems, no girl cried that much over girl problems. She was almost in hysterics. He wasn't new to girls, he knew how they worked and how they acted in different situations.

“You know you can tell me what's up. You seem to be having loads of detentions lately, is that it?”

“It's not that.” She gulped and turned away to look out of the window. It made her feel sick knowing that she couldn't even say anything or report him, she had to put on a brave face just like she had to with her father.

He decided to let it go for now, she wasn't in the mood to talk and he was probably making it worse by annoying her. For some reason he felt like she was afraid of him, like she was afraid of everything. She seemed tense all the time, and she was always in a hurry to get home, not to mention she was always bruised.

“It's this one isn't it?” He asked nodding towards her house and turning the car to the left. She nodded and unbuckled her belt. She turned to look towards the house to see that everything was as she left it, that meant that her father still wasn't home. She opened the door and put one foot out.

“Hey, Darcy, what are you doing tonight?”

She turned to him with an odd expression, was he asking her out? She had never even spoken to a boy this much in her life, not a hot guy, let alone the janitor of her school.

“N-nothing, why?”

He smiled and his cheeks went a slight pinky tint, “I was just wondering if you wanted to go and get some food?”

She felt suddenly awkward. But what could she loose? “Sure.” She actually smiled a real smile at him.

“I'll pick you up at eight then.” He returned the smile.

She nodded and was about to shift out from the car went he make a weird noise, she turned back to him and bent down.

“Could I have your number? Just if- you know for emergencies.”

She had to hold in a smile. He was asking her out, and now he wanted her number, “Sure.”

She pulled out her notepad and scribbled her number at the top of a blank page before handing it over to him. He thanked her and sped away quickly in his car. She was just left feeling struck. She had never been acknowledged by any man, other than Mr. Haner of course... Just thinking about him made her shudder, she would rather not think about him.

Other than the fact that she had never gone out on a date before, she was extremely nervous. It was something he did that made him different to other guys, maybe it was that this was only her third or so time speaking to him and he had already asked to take her out. But she thought that was because he felt bad for finding her and leaving her in a state, which was understandable.

“Shit.” She mumbled as she tossed a dress over her shoulder from her wardrobe. She scanned around the rails trying to find something nice to wear. He only said they was going out for some food, so she guessed like McDonalds or something, or at least she hoped it was just a fast food place. If he took her to some fancy place she wouldn't know what the hell to do. That's when the butterflies kicked in.

She settled for a pair of jeans with a pale vest top, it was anything to dressed up and it wasn't to casual either. She sat on the edge of her bed with her hands linked together, staring at her cell phone sitting on her dresser. She gingerly reached over and grabbed it before dialling her fathers number and letting it ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey dad it's Darcy.”

“Eh. What?” He snapped.

“I-I was just wondering when you're coming home.”

“Not for a couple of months, I've got to go, Keep the damned place fucking tidy.”

The phone went dead. She felt a wave of relief, at least now she could do things without her father getting in her way. He had only ever disappeared for over a month once, and that was when she was fourteen. He would never tell her where he went, so she just gave up asking him.

She heard a horn honk outside and flinched in a panic. It was five minutes to eight, he was early, but that was okay because she was ready. She skipped down the stairs and hummed to herself to try and distract the butterflies. She pulled open the door and made double sure she locked the house before awkwardly walking towards his car. He reached over and pushed open the passengers seat for her and shot her a smile. His beautiful green eyes stared at her through thick, geek glasses. He looked damn fine.

She sat down and clicked her belt in the socket turning up at him and smiling, “Hey.”

“Hello.” He grinned, changing the gear and pressing down on the gas, “You look really nice.”

She tried to stop herself from blushing, “Thank you, so do you.”

He chuckled at how cute she was when she was nervous and flustered. He couldn't deny that she looked beautiful.

“So where do you wanta' eat?”

She shrugged and crossed her legs, “I don't mind.”

“What about The Beach House?” He asked cocking up and eyebrow and looking at her out of the corner of his eye.

She smiled, “Okay, sure.”

He was wearing slightly skinny jeans , a black t-shirt, a grey cardigan and some red glasses. She couldn't deny that he looked completely gorgeous, she had only ever seen him in his Janitor outfit. For some reason she found herself wanting to ask him about his piercings and his tattoos, but she wondered if that was a little personal for-

“Staring at the tats huh?” He asked, again with a small chuckle.

She jerked her sight away from his arm and looked down at her hands, “Yeah, sorry.”

“Hey, don't be sorry. It's cool, that's why I've got them.”

“What do they mean?”

He shrugged, “Are you religious?”

“Not really, why?” She asked with a small frown.

“Because this sleeve, “He pointed to his right arm, “Is basically me taking the piss out of people who are religious.”

She let slip a small giggle, “Really?”

He nodded, “Yep.”

He was rebellious, she knew that about him. It kind of made her like him even more, knowing that he didn't give a shit about much. She was really looking forward to spending the night with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
:3 Comment please.
I'm sorry this chapter is short and nothing really exciting is happening but I just wanted to get the whole 'dad's not coming home' thing out of the way :) And I wanted you to see how cute Zacky is.