Status: active

Warmness on my soul

Nightmare

Brian’s POV
“Syn, you ok bro?” I heard Matt’s voice but I didn’t really heard a thing he said. Finally I woke up of the dream state I was in. “It’s Claire! I ran though the front door with the guys following me confused I looked everywhere for a sign of, of I don’t know what, of her, of her car, of something. I just heard what it seemed like a car crash on the phone and she was getting here so I have to look for her. I could hear Matt and Jimmy behind me as well as the others asking questions but we all shut up when we saw it. Right at the corner of the street we were seeing a lot of lights and screams. I instantly ran towards the crowd of people there. There were two ambulances making a lot of noise and a lot of police. The people around that mess were looking at something that we couldn’t see just yet. When me and the guys approached it I froze. There was a lot of smoke, and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. In front of us were two cars. A grey one pretty smashed and the other one was a black Mazda. Upside down. Claire’s Mazda. Oh God! I ran to the cars but was stopped midway, by a police guy. “I’m sorry young man. We can’t let anyone trough.” I didn’t even pay attention to him. I had so many mixed feelings in my heart and in my head right now that I simply didn’t care and passed through everybody. “No. Claire!” when I saw her I started crying and screaming. They had her outside of the wrecked vehicle already but she was covered in blood. Her body was trough the windshield and draped over the hood of the car. Conscious, bloodied, unable to speak. There was blood everywhere. I was just standing there screaming her name while Jimmy and Matt held me in my place. “Anybody here is family?” “I’m her boyfriend. I’m everything she has.” “Ok sir, calm down, we’re taking her to the hospital. You cannot come with us on the ambulance because you’re too nervous, my colleague can take you on the car.” “Ok.” I was shaking looking at the situation. Matt kept me in place when she started convulsing and spilling more blood out of her mouth when the medical assistants were getting her into the ambulance. She was conscious and she must’ve been terrified. “Calm down Bri, she’s gonna be fine, dude.”
I went to the hospital in a police car and they made me some questions. They stopped when I told them that I heard everything on the phone. When we finally got to the Huntington Beach hospital I was so nervous. I asked everyone for her and nobody seemed to understand my urgency. Finally a young nurse came over to me. “Can I help you?” and she was the only one who calmed me down, at least a little bit. She told me that Claire was at the operating room because she needed surgery right away. I probably started crying more when she told me that. “Can I know your name?” “Br-, Brian…” “Ok, Brian, we’re gonna do everything we can for your girlfriend. I’ll keep you updated but you’ve got to calm down, ok?” “Yeah, thanks.” I wasn’t calm and I wouldn’t be until I knew she was ok. Until I knew she was alive. The guys got there quickly and Val was with them too. Followed by an exhausted looking Tanya. She was crying already. She hugged me and I hugged her back. Those chairs on the waiting room and the typical smell of the hospital were everything that I saw or felt for the next four hours. Almost everyone was asleep on their seat except me and Matt. “You should sleep man…” “Sleep? The last thing I’m thinking about is sleep.” I was tired but my eyes wouldn’t close. I was too worried. That conversation on the phone could’ve been the last time I heard my freckle’s voice. And if it was, I couldn’t bare it.
“I’m sorry, we did everything we could…” the young nurse said as she looked at me and then back at the floor. This is not happening! This can’t be happening. Not when I just brought her back into my life. I can’t lose her like this. “Brian?”
“Brian! Dude! The doctor’s here!” I stood up so quickly from the chair that I almost fell. The doctor was wearing scrubs covered in blood. Her blood.
“Well, who am I speaking to?”
“Brian, her boyfriend.” He made me a hand gesture so we could move to the side so the others wouldn’t hear.
“A tough girl you have!” Wait does that mean… “No need to worries, she’s alive.”
“Oh my God! Thank you!” I hugged the man like he was my family, I was so thankful that he saved her.
“Yeah, easy. She’s very weak, she lost a lot of blood, broke a lot of bones.” His face got serious. “What?”
“I’m sorry to tell you but Claire is paralyzed from the waist down.”
“Oh God! She can’t walk! Please-” The others were awake now and listening to my screams. Tanya joined me on the screaming part.
“Wait! From what we’re seeing and from the tests we made it’s temporarily. Please understand that your girlfriend just experienced a very hard car crash.”
“So it’s just for now. She won’t be like that forever.”
“She won’t. She might be scared now and that’s why she’ll need all of the support you can give her.”
“Yeah, of course. But I don’t understand. I didn’t even know that it was possible. How is she gonna walk again?”
“Claire lost her leg sensibility with the impact of the car and she almost broke very bone in her legs. But when the broken bones heal and she has the rest she needs she’ll just need a couple of physiotherapy sessions and she’ll be good.”
“Thank you. Can I see her now? Or is it too soon?”
“She’s awake. But again. Support her ok?”
He didn’t have to tell me that. He showed me where she was at and I stood at the door gaining courage to enter. I opened the door and instantly tears came to my eyes as I saw the tubes and machines attached to her body and her face was with some cuts and bandages. She had her eyes closed but when I entered the room she opened them.
“Bri..” she was crying now. God! I hate this so much. I slowly reached to her kissing her forehead carefully not to hurt her.
“Baby, I thought I would never see you again. I love you.”
“I love you too.” I held her hand in mine and kissed it several times. We were just looking at each other and she started crying more. “Baby, you’re good now.”
“Bri, I can’t feel my legs..” she was sobbing and I was too. I did my best to hug her without hurting her.
“I know baby. But you’re gonna be fine. I promise.” She gave me a soft smile.
“I love you.”
“I love you too freckles! You should get some rest. I’m here, I’ll never leave you.”
I softly sang Dear God to her. I was still holding her hand when she fell asleep. This was going to be hard but I was going to help her trough.