Without You, I'm Just Me

Let's see who burns truest in the flames

Me and Naomi slept in bed together, her arms around me, mine around her. I had fallen asleep so easily and woke up feeling great. I had awaken to her watching me with a small, subtle smile on her face.

"What's up?" I asked her softly.

"You're so pretty," she smiled wider. "I have such a pretty boyfriend."

I exhaled through my nose, "You'll have a pretty husband pretty soon."

Her smile faltered and then she blinked, "I've been thinking -since last night and the minute I woke up- we...should get married on Valentine's Day."

I scooted back a little, looking at her fully, "You sure?"

Naomi climbed on top of me, sitting up on my thighs, "Yeah, I thought it over...and what happened wasn't..." She trailed and then paused; I could see she was bout ready to cry, so I sat up and pulled my arms around her, pulling her bare body close to mine.

"It's okay, Navy."

She didn't cry, she just huffed and sighed. She rested her head on my shoulder, her arms wrapped around my torso, "That day wasn't all that bad," she began quietly, "I managed to save the boys and I lived...maybe getting married on that day would be better than just remembering it was a horrible...scary thing."

"Whatever you want, Navy," I ran my hand up her back, then trailing it down slowly. "Whatever you wanna do."

"Can we even plan a wedding in 10 days?"

I chuckled, "Maybe."

"It could be small...we could have Ricky marry us."

"Ricky?"

"Yeah, he's a certified minister," she pulled back to look at me, "it's a long story, but Ricky can marry people."

"How the fuck did that happen?"

Naomi smiled, "Oh, man, he got clean and started practicing in jail. Once he was released he got himself certified."

"That puts down one thing we need. What else is there?"

"Telling everyone, getting the little dudes tailored for their suits. Food, cake...decor--where should we even get married?"

"Here," I answered simply.

Naomi nodded, "Okay, this wedding stuff is easy."

"Sure is. I'be been waiting to do this stuff since we met."

She smirked at me, "Oh, you liar."

"I have!"

Naomi looked at me, her eyes baring into mine before she kissed me. It was soft, short kiss, then she rested her forehead against mine, "Why did we take forever to do this?"

"We were just young and scared," I told her. "I was so stupid and didn't care about anyone but myself."

She kissed me again, then lifted her body up, her hand falling between our laps where her hand grabbed me. I gasped softly against her mouth as she worked her hand up and down my shaft slowly. She kissed me and pulled away, "We have to be quiet."

I grunted and nodded, "Yeah, yeah."

Naomi kissed me against, then slipped myself inside of her. I swallowed thickly, our bodies pressed together, rocking slowly before picking up the pace. Naomi's hands cupped my cheeks to pull me in, kissing me deeper, our tongues mingling, our breathing growing harder and heavier.

Naomi broke away, her arm wrapped around my shoulder, her face buried into the crook of my neck. "I love you, I love you," she panted, repeating the words over and over again against my shoulder.

"I love you too," I muttered into her ear.

Her hips rocked back and forth hard on my lap. I grunted, holding in the deep groans I wanted to slip out, but minded the fact that we weren't alone and it was early in the morning. Naomi held onto me, rocking harder and harder, her moans were quiet, only slipping out every so often.

The bubbling sensation hit me too quickly, I couldn't stand it. I sighed then spat out, "I'm gonna cum."

"Do it," she moaned against the shell of my ear.

I shut my eyes tight as my gut tighten, and I released deep inside of her. My body grew rigid, I moaned out, my arms growing tight around her while she continued to rock. Naomi let out a flowing moan that sang in my ears, I sucked in a breath as her rocking slowed and she looked up to face me and kissed my lips sweetly.

I brought my hands up to brush her hair from her face. My thumb brushed away the strands on her lip, while my hand cupped her cheek, "You're the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

She smiled, "I know."

I kissed her and rolled us onto the bed, into the pillows. We kissed continuously, until our lips ached, and even then we resorted to soft pecks. Naomi snuggled against me, her hands running down my sides and back, "I love you."

I kissed her forehead, "I love you too."

Naomi let out a sigh, and within minutes the both of us were asleep again.


Naomi had awaken and gotten up with the boys. When I woke up I could hear them laughing in the kitchen. I sat up and looked at the clock on my phone; it was close to noon, so I got up and pulled on my discarded sweats.

I went to the dresser to get some clothes for myself after my shower and came across Naomi's jewelry box. The smile that spread across my face was inevitable; this was appropriate for our plans. I opened the lid and saw the engagement ring I had given her that she had put away before she went to prison. I pulled it out and set it on the dresser; I got my clothes and tossed them onto the bed, grabbed the ring and went to the kitchen.

Naomi had Lewy and Benji on the counter while they ate bananas and were talking to them about the plan to get a puppy. Benji was offering names while Lewy was eating. He saw me first, "It's already afternoon, dad!"

I nodded, "Yeah, it is, little dude. Mom kept you home from school?"

"It's Friday," Naomi excused with a smile, "one day isn't gonna hurt. Besides, I wanted to spend the day with my babes."

"It's cool," I said, "I got them out early yesterday, so I think the school would expect them to be home today."

I went over and pulled Naomi into a hug, which she giggled at, "Whats this for?"

"Can't hug my future wifey?"

She kissed my cheek, "Yes you can."

I grabbed her hand and easily slipped the ring on her finger. She froze for a moment and then lifted her hand, "Oh man, I almost forgot."

"We need to get you a proper wedding ring before the big day."

She hummed, "You got that right."

Benji and Lewy watched us with grimaces. I let Naomi go, but stayed close; she looked at her hand still; she then exhaled and looked at me, "Hey, we're going to Rae and Ricky's in an hour so she can cut my hair, you coming with?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I needa shower first."

"Good. I want my man to look good while we make the rounds seeing all my friends."

I chuckled, "Sure thing, babe."

She gave me a kiss on my cheek, causing the boys to groan, "Gross!" Lewy grumbled.

Naomi laughed, "Hey, I kiss you guys too!"

"But daddy's old," Benji said.

I laughed too, "Thanks guys," I waved as I left.

"Old people kissin' is gross!" Lewy called after me, "Sorry dad!"

"It's okay!" I called back with a laugh.

I stripped off my clothes in the bathroom and was in the shower. I actually stood under the water for a minute thinking deeply about everything. My stomach was in knots again when Naomi floated into my head; I had missed her so much and I was still in shock that she was home. After shaking off the shock, I washed my hair and body, then hopped out. I grabbed towels and made my way into the bedroom where Naomi sat at her vanity putting on makeup.

The grin grew on my face when I saw her there. She was applying eyeliner, and then I saw Benji sitting on the floor by her, playing with his iPad. "Where's Lew?" I asked him.

"Watchin' TV," Benji didn't even look up when he answered.

I went over to him, nudging his leg, "Go join him, I have to get dressed."

"You gonna kiss my mommy again," he frowned up at me.

I smiled, "Nah, I'm not gonna kiss her. I just needa get dressed, okay?"

He huffed and stood up, then stomped out of the room. Naomi giggled, "Uh-oh, you ticked off bossy pants."

I shook my head, "He'll be okay."

"How has his tantrums been?" She asked me while I got dressed.

"Uh...he hasn't really had any. He's been good, all he ever gets upset about is playing with Lew's Batman toys and feeding the fishes."

"Lew?"

"He's quiet," I told her, "he doesn't get too upset. That fight was the only time I've seen him get really mad at anyone."

"My baby boy," she murmured as she continued to put on eyeliner, "I love him so much. He's so sweet."

I finished putting my clothes on and stood beside her, "He's got a big heart. A crazy little dude, he's adorable."

"He's like you," she said placing the pencil down.

"Yeah, I know. I can see it."

She exhaled and grabbed her red lipstick, "I missed putting on makeup."

I smiled at her reflection, "I love you either way."

"If you wanna kiss my butt you're gonna have to kneel down."

I laughed, "I'm being serious."

She applied the lipstick, it made all the difference, she looked killer. "I know you are," she stood up and, with the sneakers she wore, we were the same height.

I wrapped my arms around her, "I'll never get tired of this."

She giggled, "Me either. I missed this, I'll never take it for granted again."

I kissed her forehead, "Don't worry about things, babe."

She smiled at me, "I won't, I'm just saying," she kissed my cheek and then rubbed away at my cheek, "c'mon, we'll go out for lunch after we meet up with Rae."

"Yeah, sure, just gimme a sec."

She hummed and left the room. I hurriedly grabbed my phone and called Rae to see if everything was ready.


We got to Rae's just before it had begun to rain. I carried Benji, we all rushed up to the porch to get under the roof before the rain fell. Naomi knocked, and then looked around; "Whats with all the cars?"

We all knew, except for her and Benji; Benji would tell her, we knew that, so we kept it from him. I felt kinda bad, but it would be cute to see his expression.

Rae opened the door before I could make up an excuse and welcomed us in, then she immediately hugged Naomi, "I missed you!"

Naomi laughed, "Aw, I missed you too!"

When they parted, Naomi ran a hand threw her hair, "What's with all the cars? One of your neighbors throwin' a party?"

Rae kept up the secret so well, she didn't smile or give it away with a look. She only shrugged and said, "Probably."

The front room was empty, her back area with the screened porch and empty hairdressing studio was where the party was being held. She led the way while Naomi followed her, us trailing behind. It was really quiet, I held my breath, totally excited for her. Rae had the double doors shut, you couldn't see through the glossy fogged glass, but you could feel the excitement. Naomi didn't say a word. Finally, Rae pushed opened the doors and the lights flipped on, lighting the dark blue tint the entire condo held, and everyone exclaimed in unison; "Surprise!"

Naomi jumped back and then put a hand to her chest, "Holy Shiitake mushrooms!"

Benji had gasped in my ear, "Wow!"

Naomi turned to me and scowled playfully, "Who did this?"

Rae cleared her throat, "We all did, love."

All her friends were there with balloons and flowers and as soon as she turned away from me and stepped in she was giving hugs. I couldn't even name everyone there, but they obviously knew Naomi. Our family was there; mom, dad, Andrew, Hilary, Abbey, Lee and Amy; there was gifts and food and then I spotted Patrick, Sabrina, Andy and Joe with his fiancée Marie.

Naomi was busy hugging people so I went over to my friends with the boys, still holding Benji on my hip. Andy greeted us first, "Hey! There they are! What's up, kids?"

Lewy waved, "Hi Andy."

Benji immediately told me to let him down and I did. He went over to Andy and hugged him, "You was gone forever!"

I chuckled as Andy picked him up, "Well I'm back, dude. Wanna hang?"

"What about me?" Joe cut in with a pout. "We're fro-bros and Star Wars junkies, remember?"

Benji just shrugged, "We all hangs, k?"

We all laughed at this, Joe just nodded, "Sure, buddy."

Lewy had went to Patrick and was immediately talking to him. Lewy had gotten interested in Patrick's keyboard, so music is what they talked about. Sabrina and Marie were talking and then Marie's attention was diverted when Naomi popped up beside me, "Hey, Marie!"

They hugged quickly, "I haven't seen you in forever--what was it? 2 January's ago?"

"Yeah," Naomi nodded, "Gosh, that was forever ago."

"Me and Joe had to come down and see you. We just met this girlie here," Marie pointed to Sabrina, "Patrick's new eye candy."

Patrick looked over at us and soon joined in, "She's...my date."

Sabrina smiled, "Sure am. It's nice to meet you Naomi, I'm Sabrina Adrian."

"Same here, you're a lot prettier than Pete let on."

I shook my head, while Sabrina and Naomi laughed. "I'm surprised Pete told you about me."

"Patrick is his boyfriend so I have to hear everything about him."

Patrick blushed again, "Oh My God."

Naomi pulled Patrick's wrist and engulfed him into a hug, "Oh, shut up, Trick, I'm just messing around," they parted, Naomi looked him up and down, "Holy--dang, I think you're skinnier than me!"

Patrick was officially red, "Nah...not really."

She hugged him again, "I know, buddy, I'm just messing with you. You're like my baby brother."

He laughed, "Yeah, I know. I missed you, Naomi."

"I missed you too."

Naomi started to say that continuously as her hugs went on. She hugged Andy and Joe, laughing it up with everyone, enjoying herself. The boys rushed off to play with Babette's daughter and some of Naomi's other friends' kids. It was nice seeing her interact and smile, and see that everything turned out better than expected. A year ago things had been grim and now it messed as if that whole thing was a million years ago.

Naomi's smile was bright and her happiness radiated through the room. She joked and played around, and I just watched her because she looked so happy, and I was happy she was.

As the party came to a close, after we all ate and had cake and everyone hugged her a dozen times, Naomi got everyone's attention. We all looked at her, her cheeks were pink, she looked shy, "I really want to thank you guys for this...this is really crazy, I didn't know I knew so many people before," everyone laughed softly before she continued. "Uh, thanks, really, I don't know what else to say. I'm happy you're all here and hopefully you'll be at my wedding."

Everyone cooed softly as Naomi beckoned me over. I went over and took her hand in mine, lacing our fingers.

"Me and Pete have decided to get married...in a week."

Everyone gave us funny looks.

"On Valentine's Day," she added. "Yeah, it's cliche, but why not? You're all invited and..." She looked around, "Hell, I think we'll do it here. You okay with that Rae?"

Rae had a piece of cake in her mouth and could only give Naomi a thumbs up. Naomi laughed and mimicked her action. "So, that's it, Valentine's Day, right here, my best friend, Ricky will marry me and Pete. No gifts, just bring yourselves and we can party it up here again."

Everyone clapped and cheered, and I couldn't believe the fact that I blushed. Everyone was happy for us and congratulated us. Lee had taken me aside and patted my shoulder, "About time you did this, but I've got a problem with one thing."

I frowned, "Yeah?"

"How come you didn't ask me for permission?"

We both shared a laugh, "Sorry Lee, it was just a spur of the moment thing."

"It's alright," he patted my shoulder again. "I'm happy for you guys."

"Thanks."

As the evening darkened, the party started to dissipate. We were all tired and had conversed our energy out and we all were full. Everyone headed out until it was just me, Naomi, the boys, Rae and Ricky.

We helped them clean up, thanked them and then left. Naomi planned to head over later the next day to get her hair cut. I drove us home, as the sky turned dark; Benji fell asleep in the car while Lewy asked us for a keyboard the entire ride home.

He pleaded when we got into the house, neither one of us had said no. He just assumed we would; we listened to all of the reasons he should get one. Naomi had taken the beanie off his head while I took Benji to his bedroom to lay and nap before dinner.

I took off his shoes, hearing Lewy exclaim, "Yes! Thanks mommy!"

Naomi had laughed after him.

I covered Benji up and began to put his shoes away. I heard the doorbell ring but didn't think anything of it while I put things away. Leaving Benji's room, I left the door opened just a crack and headed to the living room. I literally stopped in my tracks when I saw Kate standing there with her arms crossed, smirking at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Illinois is insane right now, and if you live in or near the places the tornado hit, just know I'm thinking and praying for you and if you can read this thank you, in the mist of the mess and awful event, thank you for reading. You could be doing something else...but that's besides the point ;)

I don't want to get too into the awful things that are happening, just touch on them because I live in Rogers Park, I used to live in Peoria and my heart is breaking for everyone out there. Have hope everyone, that's what we all need. Keep your head up, I'm thinking about you.

xxali