‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Kiss Kiss.

With Thanksgiving over Tanner and I spent the next couple weeks getting ready to let the family in on our secret. With his dad figuring out already, and our moms wanting us together since before we were born our only real concern was with my father. Sidney Crosby wouldn’t be too thrilled.

“Tan” I sighed sitting down next to him on his sofa. “I’m worried about daddy. He’s going to be . . .”

“He’ll get over it. He’s not going to like anyone who dates his daughter” he said pulling me into his side, he kissed the top of my head tenderly letting his face rest there momentarily. “The more I think about it the easier it is to see from his perspective. I mean if I had a daughter I’d be protective too. Especially if she looked anything like you. Besides we both know I don’t have the best reputation when it comes to relationships.”

“I’d like to think you just never found the right girl Tanner.”

“Yea, well she’s always been there” he replied pulling me tighter to him. “I’ve just been too blind to really see her.”

“You trying to earn brownie points Tan?”

“Stocking up for the future” he commented. “We’re driving up next weekend right?”

“Yea.”

“I’ll pick you up on the way, after finals.”

“Sounds about right. Have one more night without our entire families watching us.”

“Date night in Chicago?”

“Why not?” I shrugged. “I’ll plan a nice evening for us.”

“How nice?”

“Meh we’ll see. It will be fun though.”

“I don’t doubt it.”

TANNER

I got to Chicago around noon, parked in the apartments garage and half ran into her building. I walked the familiar halls to her unit knocking lightly on the door. I heard the dead bolt unlock and the door click open before my eyes landed on her. She wore a simple sweater and jeans, she never looked more beautiful. She smiled up at me instantly wrapping her arms around my neck.

“Hey you” she whispered, before pressing her lips tenderly to mine.

“Hello beautiful.”

“You look awfully handsome for having been in a car all morning” she said pulling me into the foyer. “And dressed perfectly for out date night!”

“What are we doing?” I asked wrapping my arms around her waist from behind.

“Dinner and a surprise.”

“A surprise huh? Of the naked variety?”

“HA! You’re funny.”

“I guy can hope though, right?”

“Hope all you want but you will never know when.”

“As long as there is a when.”

“If you’re lucky” she said turning to kiss me.

“The sarcasm hurts Addie.”

“You love it.”

“No, I love you there’s a difference.”

“You love me. . .”

“Yea.”

“I never get tired of hearing that” she said, her smile beaming up at me. “I love you too Tanner.”

“I never get tired of hearing it either.”

“Well, let me just finish getting ready and we’ll go out around the city for a bit” she said stepping back slightly her arms still around my waist.

“What are we doing?”

“I just want a romantic date in the city Tanner.”

“Ok, then go get all dolled up and we’ll have a romantic date in the city” I said giving her another kiss. She smiled against my lips as I pulled back, her hand on the back of my head holding me to her.

“I’ve missed you this week.”

“I’ve missed you too Addie.”

“It’s ridiculous that I just saw you a few days ago, but I miss you during the week so much” she said pressing her lips to mine firmly, she stepped into me a little more our bodies pressed together.

“Oh” I whispered letting my hands rest on her hips.

“Yea. I can’t wait until graduation. Then the summer, the draft is in Pittsburgh again.”

“Hopefully I’ll be there. . .”

“If you don’t start sucking all of a sudden you will be” she joked, her finger tips running along my jaw. “Loving the scruff by the way. Makes you look all rugged and sexy.”

“Sexy huh?”

“Yea, damn fine Tanner” she said looking up at me her lips pink and plump, eyes clear and sparkling, gorgeous. “Hmmm, you know you’ve only looked sexier maybe once before, on the ice, and sweaty and yum.”

“Oh really?”

“Yea” she whispered, “Nothing hotter than a hockey player.”

“A girl hockey player is pretty damn hot, especially this one” I said kissing her on the corner of her mouth. “Really hot.”

“Mmmm Tan I gotta finish getting changed here” she said pulling away after a few seconds. “Make yourself at home. I’ll be just a few more minutes.”

“Alright.”

ADDISON

Tanner and I spent the day walking hand in hand through the cold windy city before going to our early dinner reservations. It was great being able to spend time with just him, without worrying about who saw us.

“I can’t believe you got us glass seats” he said wrapping his arm around my shoulders as the seconds ticked away on the second period. “You didn’t have to do this Addie.”

“I wanted to” I said resting my head on his shoulder.

“TIME FOR THE EVER POPULAR KISS CAM” we heard over the speakers during a stoppage in play.

“Oh dear lord these things” I muttered burying my face in his chest.

“Well, you might have to get over that.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m about to kiss you in front of an entire arena. . .” he said pulling my face to his. His mouth molding perfectly to mine as people around us started hooting. When he pulled away my lips were numb and my heart raced. “Love you Adds.”

“Huh?” I said slightly dazed.

“I love you” he laughed.

“Love you too.” I didn’t even notice the period had ended and the teams have cleared the ice until the stands were clearing out.

“We were on the Kiss Cam” he said holding me to his side.

“Shit, what if someone we know saw that?”

“They don’t pay attention they talk strategy at the bench not watching random people make out on the Jumbo-tron.”

“Holy crap we just made out in front of all these people” I said feeling my face flush in embarrassment.

“Please, you love it.”

“You sure as hell did Tanner.”

“I can’t deny that” he said rubbing my shoulder. “Are we just heading back to the apartment after this or did you have something else planned?”

“Home, I’m exhausted” I replied letting my hand rest on his knee. “Besides it’s a long trip to Montreal from here. Gotta get started early.”

“True.”

“Today was great Addie.”

“It was” I agreed crawling into bed with him. “I’m glad you had fun” I added snuggling into his side. His arms wrapped around me protectively, his lips resting against my forehead.

“I did, but we could have done nothing all day and I would have had fun with you by my side Adds. I love you.”

“I love you too Tan.”