‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Merry Christmas.

“Merry Christmas Adds” Tanner whispered, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. I had just gotten ready for our traditional dinner and present opening, wearing a red chiffon dress that came to the top of my knees, a thin black belt at my waist and black sequin pumps.

“Merry Christmas Tans” I replied, Turning to see him better. “Don’t you look handsome” I added taking him all in, gray slacks, a light blue and pale green striped dress shirt with a matching gray vest.

“Compared to you, I look like shit.”

“Shush” I laughed as we walked down stairs hand in hand. As soon as we walked into the living room there was a flash and a unison ‘awe’ from our mothers.

“You two look so perfect together” Aunt Janie said her hands over her mouth.

“Mom, really” Tan said embarrassed. His face flushed an adorable shade of pink.

“Oh, Tanner. You’re blushing” I smiled tip toeing even more in my heels to kiss his cheek.

“Addie” he groaned, not happy that I called him out.

“Dinner is almost ready” my mom said after snapping another picture.

“Ok, mom” I said as they walked back into the dining room.

“You really do look beautiful Addie.”

“Thank you Tan.” Smiling he gave me a soft kiss before leading the way to the dinning room. Jamie pulled out Renee’s chair before taking a seat next to her, Pat next to him, our dad’s on either end of the table mother’s nest to them leaving 2 spots for Tanner and I together towards the middle.

I love our traditional Christmas, a dress up dinner with all the fixings, and then everyone opening presents around the tree a fire roaring in the fireplace. We’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember, and honestly this might be my favorite holiday.

Dinner was great as usual, everyone joking around, eating way too much, drinking too much wine, and just enjoying the company. Daddy was great, he really is trying to be ok with Tanner and I. As we all made our way into the living room I wrapped my arms around him.

“What was that for?”

“Nothing daddy. Just wanted to.”

“Thank you peanut. Merry Christmas baby girl.”

“Merry Christmas Daddy” I replied walking away and over to sit by Tanner.

The rest of the evening was fun, opening presents, sipping hot chocolate, joking around, giving everyone a hard time. I sat on Tanner’s lap on the couch with Pat and Jamie, Renee on the other side sitting on the arm leaning towards Jamie.

“I’m thinking there might be more than one Letang Crosby relationship on the horizon” I said quietly to Tan.

“What?”

“Renn and Jamison” I said non-chalantly. I laughed when he had a panicked look on his face. “Jamie will be good to her.”

“Damn” he said, making me laugh more. I had almost forgotten the camera flashes, but my mom never puts the damn thing down. After a while I went over and grabbed it from her taking pictures of her and daddy sitting on the oversized arm chair. I want a relationship like theirs, they’ve been through tough times and great times, injuries and illnesses, joys and sorrows, but they’ve only ever grown stronger and closer. Aunt Janie and Uncle Tangs for that matter too. Two of the greatest couples I have ever known sitting across the room so in love still after 24 years. I want that. I want that with Tanner. I want to grow old with him, have Christmas’ like this with him for years to come.

“I love you Tan.”

“Love you too Addie” he said kissing me tenderly. My dad cleared his throat, looking at us pointedly, I snapped a picture with a giggle capturing the moment that all dads fear, their baby girl falling in love.

“Sidney, leave them be” mom said squeezing his shoulder. “We all knew this was going to happen . . . Just took too damn long.”

“Best Christmas present ever!” Aunt Janie said looking over at Tanner and I, beaming in joy. I laughed resting my head on Tans shoulder, he chuckled making me shake on his lap.
♠ ♠ ♠
feeling a little better about this now. . . but I'm am busy training for my first 5k which is on the 19th! Totally nervous but . . . we shall see!