‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Catch Up.

When we got back to his apartment he handed me the keys before picking up his drunk girlfriend and carrying her in.

“Dear Lord, she’s passed out eh?” I said helping him by taking off her shoes and setting them in the foyer.

“Yea” he replied with a laugh. “You picked that up from your dad.”

“Yea, I guess so.”

“I’m going to put her in my room. Then, if you’re not too tired, maybe we can catch up” He suggested walking slowly towards his room.

“Sure. I’m just going to change” I said gesturing towards the guest room where my bag was.

“Alright, I’ll be out in a minute” he smiled.

TANNER

After I set Kelsey on the bed before quickly changing into a t-shirt and basketball shorts. I walked out and stopped dead in the hall catching a glimpse of Addie in the guestroom. Her hair piled messily on the top of her head glasses perched on her nose, then my breath caught as she pulled her dress over her head. She’s stunning, her body perfect, every curve, her long legs, toned to perfection. I don’t know when that happened. She went from a tomboy with no sex appeal at all to, that. I shook the thoughts that ran though my head and started towards the living room. Why was I so angry that she was dancing with Mike? She’s just my friend, I shouldn’t be mad she’s into some one.

“Hey” she said taking a seat next to me on the couch, wearing short shorts and a tank top.

“Hi.”

“She asleep?”

“Yea she’s down for the count.”

“She seems . . .”

“Annoying” I muttered.

“You said it not me” she said nudging me with her foot.

“Tell me about school” I said placing her legs over my lap.

“What about it?” she replied scooting closer.

“Tell me everything Adds.”

“Classes went well, again. I had like 300 hours in the studio just working on different projects. I actually woke up one morning laying across the drafting table. I’m a workaholic Tan.”

“You always fell asleep studying.”

“Only because you would pass out mere minutes into reading a chapter. And one of us had to know what was going on . . .” she said trailing off her eyes landing on her lap. “Tanner what is going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“This isn’t you . . . I mean this right now is, but before. What’s going on?”

“Nothing” I whispered. “I’ve been busy, working on hockey, and classes.”

“And Kelsey” she added in a way I couldn’t quiet pin point.

“Yea, and Kelsey.”

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said . . .”

“No it’s ok. You’re just being a good friend Addie” I replied tracing hockey pucks and sticks on her calves.

“Quit doodling hockey gear Tan. You always do that when you’re avoiding something. What are you thinking about?”

“I don’t know.”

“You look tired.”

“I am” I smiled resting my hands on her legs.

“Go to sleep then, you don’t have to stay up for me.”

“You’re here to see me.”

“True.”

“Can’t we just have a sleep over like old times?” I suggested hoping to be able to go back in time.

“I don’t know how the girlfriend will feel about you staying in the same bed as me.”

“What two adults can’t sleep in the same bed without something going on?”

“Well I mean, it’s not like we haven’t shared a bed before” she said resting her head on the couch beside my shoulder.

“See you’re tired now too.” She nodded with a sleepy smile. Effortlessly I lifted her up with me. “You’re still as light as a rag doll.”

“Shut up, you’re a hockey player you’re supposed to be strong” she said as I walked us into her room. “Tanner, you know you’re my best friend right?”

“Yea. Why?”

“I just don’t want you to forget that, ever.”

“How can I?” I asked sitting on the bed with her by my side.

“Honestly I don’t know” she said with a smirk, placing her hand on my thigh.

“You’re a little drunk aren’t you?”

“Damn straight mister.”

“I forgot that you can drink all night and not feel it until hours later.”

“Tanner, how can you forget that?”

“I don’t know especially after Graduation.”

“Oh graduation” she giggled. “That feels like forever ago.”

“You always get insanely flirty” I replied raising my eyebrows at her.

“I do not” she said biting her lip.

“Oh really?”

“Hmmm, Tanner, you got really handsome. Did you know that?”

“Oh?”

“Yep.”

“Go to sleep Addie” I smiled brushing the hair out of her face.

“I don’t want to sleep.”

“You don’t?”

“No.”

“What do you want to do?”

“Stay up all night and talk to my best friend. Like old times.”

“Which old times are you referring to?”

“All of them. I miss it. When we were kids we could hangout and do whatever. When we would play hockey with our dads at the arena, and you’d chase me around the yard trying to kiss me.”

“Succeeding not trying. I believe that I did kiss you and often with we were little.”

“Then you stopped trying” she said with her eyes closed.

“Would you have wanted me to keep trying?” I waited for a few seconds for her response. “Addie?” I whispered. She was asleep. “I wish I hadn’t stopped trying” I added after settling beside her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments Please =)