‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Grandma.

Back home we all got comfortable and settled in with warm drinks and a fire roaring in the living room hearth. As I walked down from changing into a pair of yoga pants and one of Tans shirts, I ran into Renee who pulled me into a tight hug. My sister.

“I’m so happy for you guys Addie” she said softly, “I’m going to be an Aunt.”

“Thanks Renn” I whispered trying not to cry. Stupid hormones.

“This explains why you were holed up in the bathroom all morning. You’re going to be a great mom.”

“I hope so.”

“You will be there is no doubt about it.”

“You’re going to be a great aunt. You’re so good with kids Renn.”

“I’ve been thinking about that, I think I want to go into education” she said as we walked down the stairs. “Like elementary school.”

“You’d be so good at that.”

“I love the look on their face with they realize what you were trying to explain.”

“See you’ll be amazing” I replied taking her hand and giving it a light squeeze.

“Oh, Addie.” She hugged me tight before adding, “I can’t wait for the baby to get here. I’m going to spoil the hell out of them.”

“Good.”

Renee and I walked into the living room and Tanner gestured for me to join him on our oversized arm chair. I smiled and walked over to him, curled up on his lap, and rested my head on his shoulder. His arms wrapped around my waist pulling me into his side even more, he caressed my face before kissing me warmly. “I love you” he whispered.

“Love you too.” I let my nose graze his neck feeling him shiver slightly before pulling my legs across his lap, my butt slipping between his legs and my head resting against his chest just above his heart; the steady beat lulling me. “Mmmm it’s so peaceful tonight” I added sleepily.

“Yes, quiet” he agreed.

“Enjoy it while you can” I heard Uncle Tangs say, “once the baby comes you’re never going to have a peaceful moment again.”

“It’s going to be all crap filled diapers and late night feedings. Crying all night” Tanner joked his body shaking slightly beneath me.

“It’s not all bad” he said a faint trace of a smile cam across in his tone. “First steps, first time on the ice, first words. . .”

“Dad, you’re getting soft in your old age.”

“I’m serious Tanner, you’re going to hate it but love it all the same. Some nights you’re going to want to rip your hair out. . .”

“Don’t do that, you’re hair is too good!” I said half asleep.

“That’s what Jane said when your husband was a baby.”

“My husband has amazing hair. And I need it to stay in place.” I had both of them laughing, and I felt like I was on a boat shaking around. “Tanner you need to stop moving . . . I’m going to be sick . . .”

“Sorry Adds” he said trying to sooth me.

“No Tans I’m really going to be sick. . .” I said scrambling to get off his lap. I ran to the bathroom, and emptied my stomach.

“You alright peanut?” my mom asked rubbing my back.

“Yep” I nodded, resting against moms side. “I hate this part.”

“Yea, it sucks.”

“That’s an understatement” I groaned. “So much for that expensive dinner we just had.”

“You’re going to love toast and tea. Possibly eggs.”

“Great” I muttered. “A couple months of throwing up expensive meals and supplementing it with toast and eggs.”

“Don’t forget the tea” she said smiling. “I’m so happy for you Addie. Although you’re making me a grandmother and I’m too young to be a grandmother.”

“It was bound to happen sooner or later” I said rinsing out my mouth. “You and Janie have been gunning for this since we were kids. You can’t complain that we’re married and having a baby.”

“I know, I’m going to be a grandma.”

“Yep.”

We walked back into the living room and saw daddy sitting on the couch scowling at Tanner. Why does he look like he wants to punch him? Tanner doesn’t look like he even notices, how can he not feel the deadly look my dad is giving him?

“Daddy” I whispered, taking a seat next to him. “What are you thinking about?”

“Peanut” he sighed. “This is all too real. I can’t fight fate, I’m just keep on losing. You two were meant to be together, no matter how much I may have fought it in the past. I’m just running through every way I can be against this and I can’t think of anything that can change what was bound to happen.”

“What are you talking about pops?”

“I love that you’re happy. I’m just not sure that I’m ready for you to be a mom. I still see you as my little peanut. My baby girl.”

“Good news is you have a few more months to get ready. Just don’t kill my husband” I said as he gave me a hug. “Besides you’re going to have teach them how to play hockey, only you can teach them the right way. I mean they’re going to tell everyone how their grandpa scored the golden goal in the 2010 Olympics.”

“True” he chuckled. He gave me a hug kissing me on the forehead in a way only a father could. “I love you Addie. You’re my baby.”

“I always will be.”

“I know” I said holding my dads hand resting my head on his shoulder, just like I used to when I was younger. For a moment I feel like I was back in middle school watching a movie with him on the couch as the boys played in the backyard. “Love you daddy.”

“Love you too baby girl.”

TANNER

“She’s out cold” Uncle Sid said lifting her off his shoulder.

“I’ll take her up to bed” I said walking over to them, “Addison. Time for bed sweetheart” I added lifting her up off the couch. She sighed and cuddled into me as I carried her up to our room. I laid her on the bed and went to shut our door and turn off the light. I crawled in next to her and she shifted towards me resting her head on my chest and her arm across my stomach.

“Night Tans.”

“Night Adds” I said with a smile. “I love you, so much.”

“Love you too baby” she cooed snuggling even closer, if that was even possible, and fell fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just the fist reactions to the baby. . . we'll see how they feel once the new settles in a bit more.