Reliving History

Chapter 1

Ten years later...

It was another peaceful day in Ordon. Then again, when wasn't there a peaceful day in Ordon? The past century or more had been day after day of tranquility, since the days of the darkness were long gone. The feeling of security and safety would not fade from the residence of the small farm town. All except for one young girl.

"Whoa horsey! Calm down! Wahhh!" The girl screamed, wrapping her tan arms around the horses brown neck and clinging for dear life. "Carlo! Carlo, help!"

Her twin brother Carlo jumped from his perch on the fence and ran towards the rambunctious horse. "Corla! What should I do?"

"Get Link!"

"But I can help!" Carlo insisted, cautiously moving closer the horse and it's screaming rider.

"I said get Link!" Corla snapped, gripping tighter to the horse, and trying to fight back her tears, caused by both pain and fear.

Carlo turned and ran the other way, up the hill and out of sight. She couldn't see where her brother had gone after that, but she prayed to Farore it wasn't far, she didn't have the strength to cling on much longer.

Just as the horse began to become aggressive, a sweet, gentle melody filled the air. The horse's violent motions began to cease, and the only movement Corla could feel was the gentle heartbeat of the beast.

The beautiful music was coming from a tiny, round ocarina, no bigger that a child's fist. It was played by the stable boy, Link, Corla's apparent savior. He slide the ocarina into his pocket and slowly approached the horse and it's terrified rider.

"Link, you are truly a miracle worker." Corla admitted, climbing down from the horse. "As for you," She said, pointing at the horse, a
stern, angry expression on her face, "You, Epona, are a devil horse! A devil horse, I swear!"

"She isn't that bad now Corla, you just aren't very good with animals." Carlo explained, taking the reins from his sister. Link
didn't say anything, just gently brushed his hair from his face, and scratched Epona's ear to keep her calm.

Corla grumbled to herself, trying to pull her brown hair back into a neat ponytail, but she was unsuccessfully. On a normal day, Corla was one of the prettiest girls in Ordon, with her sleek brown hair, bright green eyes, and delicate features, but at that moment, she was scary to look at. Her hair was a whirlwind of tangles, her blue dress was slightly torn in spots, and her face was covered in dust that Epona must have kicked up during her tantrum.

"Carlo!" She cried, as she struggled to clean her dress. "It's ruined! I need a new one!"

"Too bad," Carlo said unsympathetically, "we can't afford a new dress."

Corla's bottom lip jutted out the second her brother finished speaking. She innocently batted her long brown eyelashes and let a few tears all down her cheeks. "But Carlo..." she whimpered, wiping a few of the tears away.

"No Cor, no one in the village can afford something to your standards, especially not you. Now go wash it, try to make the best of it." Carlo insisted. He gave her a small shove towards their cabin and shook his head as she stomped her way up the hill. "That girl will be the death of me. Help me clean up this mess she made, will ya? We aren't paying you for nothing."

Five minutes had barely passed before Corla came running back down the hill, waving her hands over her head. In her right hand was a pure white envelope. "Link! Link! Thelma sent me down here with a letter! It's addressed to you!" The girl hobbled her way down the hill, being cautious so she would not cause anymore damage to her only good dress. Once she was on the flat ground she took off running. "It looks important!" She squealed once finally reaching the boys.

"Who's it from?" Link asked as he took the letter from Corla. Carefully he cut a slit along the top of the envelope with a knife he'd pulled from his belt.

Corla simply shrugged. "I asked Thelma, and she said that the post man didn't say. To be honest, I think she scared him off, you know how intimidating. You want to know what I think? I think it's from the king. Look at the seal. You'd have to be very important to have such a fancy seal, and the kings the most important person in Hyrule."

Carlo rolled his eyes. "Corla, don't speak such foolishness. There is no way that the letters from the-"

"No," Link cut in, "she's right. It's from the king! Look!" He passed the letter to Carlo from inspection.

Carlo stood in shock for a while before he could finally speak again. "It really is from the king."

"What does he want anyway?" Corla asked. She peered over her brothers shoulder and attempted to read the letter. Carlo simply shoved her off.

"An escort. It doesn't say for who though. He's offered to pay you handsomely."

Corla's eyes lit up. "With the kind of money the king could pay you, we could pay off our dept, and still have a lot of rupees left over!"

"We could build a new stable for Epona and the others, it should make her less irritable." Carlo suggested.

"And we could fix up the cabins and the barn. They're all getting a bit ratty."

Both twins grew more excited at the ideas, and completely insync they began, "And-"

"Wait!" Link put both his hands up defensively. "I haven't even agreed to go yet!"

Corla seemed confused. "You mean you're saying no to the king?"

Link shook his head. "I can hear Aunt Thelma yelling at me, we'll talk about this after supper, alright?"

The twins sighed and nodded. As Link walked away, they exchanged glances, and without words, agreed on something. They could not let link turn this offer down.