Status: Completed

The Calling (A Zak Bagans Story)

Chapter Three- Flashback

Zak’s POV

My body was leaning up against the door frame watching Shiloh who was sitting cross-legged on her bed and Nick was sitting next to her. Aaron was by the window watching the city lights die down, thinking. My eyes drifted back to Shiloh.

“Do you want to talk?” Nick asked

Her body was rocking back and forth and her eyes were wide.

“Dude we should just let her sleep. She has been through enough.” Aaron said as he walked away from the window and sat in the chair next to the bed.

“No it’s okay you guys should know.” She said as she tried holding back tears, “I’m so sorry for getting you guys involved.”

“No don’t worry Shiloh you are our friend and we are here for you.” Nick said as he rubbed her shoulder.

She took a deep breath and began with her story…

-Ten Years Earlier-

It was April 12th thatwas the day I just turned seventeen years old. My two best friends, my boyfriend Greg, and I were celebrating late at night. We were driving around having a good time and my friend Kathy told me it would be fun to check out the old abandoned church that was closed down due to satanic rituals. Greg agreed with Kathy and I wanted to impress him so I said yes. My friend Jasmine who was driving parked the car in the church’s parking lot. We all stared at how big the building was and I regretted tagging along. Greg ran out of the car and towards the entrance laughing while telling us to hurry. My friends and I were walking slowly towards the building and Greg was already inside. We were calling out Greg’s name for what seemed like hours and he never answered so we decided to split up and search for him. I was walking alone down the hall but I was too scared to call out Greg’s name. I felt like something was following me so I started running I had no idea where I was going, when I turned the corner I bumped into someone and fell down. Greg’s voice filled the hallway with his laughter and picked me up and he asked me if I was okay. My friends shortly found us and told us that they found this really cool room where by the way it looks held the rituals. So we all agreed and headed down to the room and walked in. I felt this pain in my stomach and felt like throwing up that’s when I heard him for the first time. It’s voice whispered and repeatedly said ‘such a pretty girl’ I was holding my stomach and everyone rushed to me and keep asking me what was wrong. Then we heard something and Greg was holding me we listened carefully and then we heard a demonic roar. Everyone ran out and Greg carried me out because I couldn’t move…I felt dizzy, sick, and vulnerable. We drove straight to my house and sat in the living room and we haven’t spoke to each other for a while. We were all scared but Greg broke the silence and said that we got out. We made out alive and we are still okay so we should just forget about it and move on. We agreed and shortly after Greg left home and my friends and I walked off to my bedroom and fell asleep.

Later that night I woke up to a loud noise in my bathroom which caused me to sit up and look over and the light was on. I tried shaking Kathy to wake her up and Jasmine but they wouldn’t budge. So I walked into the bathroom and peeked in and in result there was nothing. I walked over to the sink and rinsed my face and took a deep breath and told myself everything is going to be alright. I’m safe nothing can harm me so I grabbed a towel and dried my face and looked into the mirror and then that’s when I saw him. I tried letting out a scream but everything went black. I woke to my mother yelling my name and in a sudden rush of excruciating pain. I felt warm thick liquid run down my arms and I turned my head to my friends and they stared at me in horror. My mom was kneeling next to me and reached up to the sink and grabbed the towel. That’s when I noticed the deep gashes that completely covered my arms. I was sitting in a puddle of blood, my blood. My mom called the emergency room that she was bringing me in for instant medical attention. The result of her actions well you should know the doctor assumed that I had done this to myself and he sent me to the mental institution. I was locked up for a year and he constantly attacked me every single night because he knew I couldn’t escape. I needed to get out of the hospital so I did what I had to do I played along and pretended that I believed I caused myself harm and it was just something that I simply made up. Eventually I did start getting better I was no longer afraid and I began to forget him and since I forgotten him he began growing weak and soon disappeared.

They released me and my mother came to pick me up and during the whole car ride home she never looked at me. I knew that she secretly disowned me as her daughter and I kept calling Greg but he never answered my calls. My mother soon became an alcoholic and my father left us because of how she changed. She would constantly tell me that I embarrassed her and she regrets ever calling me her daughter. It hit me like a ton of bricks so I ran out of the house and drove by Greg’s house I needed someone to talk to. His house came into view and I parked the car in his driveway and walked up tothe stairsand through his living room window I saw him making out with my friend Kathy. I felt alone and forgotten my boyfriend basically dumped me without knowing and my mother abandon me. So I went home and packed up my things and went down the stairs and my mother was on the couch staring at the television. I told her that it was never her fault with what happened to me and I don’t blame her for anything but this was the time that I needed her the most and she abandoned me but that I forgave her. She never looked back or gave me a hug so I walked out the front door and tried to restart my life. I moved three towns away from where I was born and I was looking for a job and I was about to enter this shoe shop and that’s when I saw your flyer stating that you were looking for a new crew member that can handle ghost hunting. I felt like that was something I could do and I know what happened that night wasn’t fake and I needed help to find out why it happened to me.

Back to Zak’s POV

Nick placed a hand on her shoulder and I sat next to her. I stared at my hands and her face was buried in her knees. I placed my hand on her knee and we stayed like that for a while until I felt her hand grab mine. She put her head on my shoulder and Aaron sat down on the bed behind us.

I felt like I needed to break the silence, “I promise Shiloh I will do everything in my power to protect you and keep you safe. I’m sorry for being an ass I never took the time to get to know you. What I can do to help you…well actually what we can do to help you is to always be by your side and never to abandon you.”

Nick smiled at me,” Zak is right we will be here for you and we will help you fight this thing off.”
She smiled and thanked us and laid down we stayed with her that night and I made a promise to myself to always protect her and keep her from harm because I at least owe her that.

Nick’s POV

Moring came by and the sun was beaming through the bedroom curtains and my back was stiff. We fell asleep in Shiloh’s room Zak and I took the floor and Aaron took the chair. I stood up and stretched and yawned and everyone was still sleeping so I decided to cook breakfast. I walked into the kitchen and gathered the ingredients to make pancakes. Listening to the sound of pancakes sizzling on the skillet made my stomach cry out for food. As soon as I started to cook the bacon I heard Aaron walk out of the bedroom.

“I smelled bacon.” Aaron said while rubbing his eyes.

I laughed, “Yeah I knew that would get you up.”

Aaron sat down at the table and looked at the food, “So since when do you cook?”

“Since I found out we have a lady joining us.” I flipped a piece of bacon.

“Dude don’t tell me you like Shiloh?” Aaron asked as he was chewing on a pancake.

“No I just want to be nice.” I placed the bacon on a plate and set it down on the table.

“Right…Zak likes her though you can tell.” Aaron said matter of fact.

“Yeah I know. I’m just wondering when he realizes it himself.” I said as I started serving everyone a plate, “Aaron go and wake up Zak and Shiloh so we can eat.”

“Sure but don’t eat all the bacon.” Aaron said and got up.

I smiled and kept serving everyone.

A couple of minutes later we were all eating in silence. You could hear everyone chewing; it bugged me so I had to break the silence.

“So did everyone sleep alright?” I asked and all three of them looked at me, “Sorry stupid question.”

“The food tastes really good Nick.” Shiloh complemented me.

“Thank you.”

“Shiloh are you okay?” Zak asked her.

“I’m okay. I want to thank you guys again for saving me last night.” She said and smiled.

We continued eating and I went on my lap top to check my emails and I received a email stating that our investigation for The Stanley Hotel was cancelled.

Zak come here.” Zak walked over behind me, “Our next investigation has been cancelled because a woman was murdered in her hotel room last night.”

Zak stared at the screen for a while and ran his hand through his hair, “Okay are we going someplace else?”

I scrolled down and just stopped and saw our next location, “Linda Vista Hospital and we are leaving tomorrow at night.”

Zak clapped his hands together, “Okay each of us will pack our things and head over to the haunted hospital.”

I was in my room packing up my clothes in my backpack. This is the only bag I use to carry my clothes well that’s what we all use. My backpack contains two shirts, one pair of black jeans, socks, my lap top, and my iPod. I walked over to look at my camera to make sure it was charged and laid in bed to take a quick nap. So I closed the curtains and my door, crawled into bed and fell fast asleep.

My eyes flew open from a loud noise that was heard in my room. I sat up with sweat dripping down my forehead.

“Who’s there?” I asked knowing that I shouldn’t have.

It stayed silent till I heard a familiar whisper, “Nick…let me control your body.”

What? No I won’t allow it. I quickly got out off my bed and was trying to turn the knob but it wasn’t budging.

“Nick…let me borrow it just for a while.”

I turned with my back pressed up against the door, “and do what?”

“Just use it for a while to get something things done.”

“Yeah right! Zak! Aaron!”

Then I heard a loud growl and force was being pushed onto my body and I couldn’t move.

“GIVE ME YOUR BODY NICK!!!”

I felt it leak inside me suddenly filled with rage and I wanted to kill!

“Go and kill Shiloh or better yet kill them all!”

My eyes widen and I was fighting to gather up my humanity again.

“No! I won’t do it!” I screamed and held my head in my hands, “Get out of me!”

Its laugh flooded in my ears and it kept saying kill them.

“I said no!” With that last scream I was released.

My breathing was uneven and my heart was pounding and I felt like vomiting.

“Nick what’s wrong?” I heard Aaron walked in.

I looked up at him and started vomiting.

“Zak!” He yelled and ran towards me.

Soon after Zak and Shiloh ran into my room and I was consumed by darkness where I was left alone.