I Wanna Hold Your Hand So Tight I'm Gonna Break My Wrist

False interpretations.

You wake up early the next morning wondering if Mike is still asleep. The bus feels awfully stuffy so you wander down to the front, open a window and sit down enjoying the fresh cool morning air. All of a sudden you’re surrounded by a cloud of smoke and you hear a familiar laugh.
‘Not funny Mike!’ you yell out the window, not even having to look to confirm the culprit.
You sit up and rest your arms on the base of the window to find Mike puffing away on a cigarette while smiling back at you from outside. You notice he’s wearing nothing but a pair of torn black skinny jeans and you can’t help but look at the tattoos covering his upper body, And he notices you staring.
‘Care to join me beautiful?’ He asks before finishing his cigarette and discarding of the butt.
‘It’s freezing out there. How are you not wearing a shirt?’ You ask him, trying to hide the obvious fact you were just checking him out.
‘I can handle it don’t worry. C’mon! I’ll warm you up.’ He winks, but you know he’s not joking.
‘Okay, hold on. Let me grab something warm.’ You tip toe down to the bunks and grab your hoodie from next to Vic, who is still soundly asleep before half running half tip toeing back to the front of the bus and slowly opening the door and jumping out to meet Mike.
‘It’s not even cold you sook!’ He laughs at you.
‘It’s 6am Mike, it’s always cold if I’m up earlier than I should be!’ You playfully push him, secretly enjoying the body contact.
‘So...how are going to do this?’ He asks you, his facial expression turning from playful to deadly serious.
‘Do..what?’ You arch your eyebrow at him.
‘Us...you know with the guys around and stuff?’ He looks at you like you should know what he’s talking about.
‘Wait, Mike we never agreed to an ‘us’… we’re not doing anything we need to hide from anyone.’ The fear evident in your voice. Mike clearly looks hurt by your words.
‘But you practically admitted your feelings for me last night...’ He says.
‘No, I didn’t give a direct answer...plus just because the feelings are there doesn’t mean I’m going to act on them.’ You try and back up your previous words.
‘Why?’ He seems genuinely curious and you’re shocked he even has to ask.
‘How about the fact that Vic is your brother. Would you really be willing to hurt him?’ you ask.
‘Yes. To get what I really want I’d do almost anything. Wouldn’t you?’ The lock he has with your eyes almost scares you.
‘No…No I can’t lie to him, I can’t go behind his back with his brother of all people. I can’t go to sleep with him every night having the guilt weighing on my mind.’ You feel a tear slip down your cheek and you wish you could learn to control your ability to cry every time a situation got a little tough.
‘What are you trying to say? Are you trying to make me feel bad for the way I feel? Trust me, I wish it was someone else. Anyone else. But no, it’s you. I don’t want to intentionally hurt anyone. But if it’s worth it in the end to get the prize I will.’ He says, his tone getting more serious by the second.
You’re startled by his words. Not because of what he’s saying, but because you’ve never seen this side to him before. You don’t know what to say. You can’t form a response no matter how hard you try. You turn around and get back on the bus, figuring it’s just easier to ignore it. Ignore it and it might go away. Turn away from a situation whenever it gets hard just like you always do.
As you walk back towards the bunks wiping the tears so Vic doesn’t see them, you hear a loud noise and the force if it rattles the side of the bus as everyone jumps up in their bunks.