Broken but Living

#18

Matt hadn't said anything. He was just silent, bopping his head to the soft sound of the radio.They must have been driving for about an hour. Sky was still staring up at him in horror. She expected a lot from Matt, just not this much.

Where were they going? What was he going to do to her? She hadn't a fighting chance. She used to be able to fight him a little by scratching him and pinching him, occasionally biting him but with a baby bump that was impossible. She was getting back to Brian, this was not happening.

“Matt take me home.” She mumbled, lifting her foot up and sitting on it.

He shook his head as he lifted the back of his hand up and wiped his eyes, “No.”

Sky stomped her foot on the ground. She wasn't scared now, she was bored. The first ten minutes in the car she seriously thought she was going to have a heart attack, now, she was tired, hungry and missed Brian. Like a child she crossed her arms across her stomach and turned her head to look out the window at the passing cars while Matt laughed at her.

“You're still doing shit like that, huh?” He smirked, swerving the car into a different lane.

“I hate you.” She spat, not even moving her head.

Matt grunted, his grip on the steering wheel tightening. His grip on his bottom grip went deeper and his eyes narrowed into thin slits. He couldn't stand to hear that. It cut him deep. That was something he couldn't hear. He found himself pressing very hard on the gas and almost crashing into the bumper of the truck in front of them.

“Matt, don't you think if I loved you, or liked you even, I wouldn't be married to Brian and having a child with him? I love Brian, I don't love you. You need to understand that.” She told him, still not looking at him.

“Shut the fuck up Sky.” He growled, his lips curling back like an animals, “Shut. The. Fuck. Up.”

Sky felt it was better that she did in fact shut the fuck up. He sounded very angry. She had only heard him like that when they lived in the house together and when he went out to the strip clubs to gut people. When Matt was angry, he was just like an animal, a bear. That's why Sky said he had paws. He was built like a bear and had the temper of one too.

It was getting dark. Sky had almost dozed off a couple of times, but when she realised what was happening again, panic settled in and she couldn't. She wanted Brian. Thoughts of what he was doing right now ran through her head.

Would he come looking for her? She hoped so. Her heart ached every time she thought of his face through the glass, he looked so scared. It made her scared. Sky found a tear falling down her face but she made no effort to wipe it away. There wasn't any point.

Eventually, Matt slowed the car down. They were going into a house with gates and eagles sat on the railings. Sky frowned. She recognised this place.

“This isn't...”

Matt just turned his head as she trailed off and nodded. This was the house. The house where everything bad happened. Her breathing felt like it stopped then sped up again so fast that she went light headed. Her hands began to shake and the muscles in her arms tensed. She pushed herself as far into the car seat as she could go. This wasn't happening. She wasn't here, she wasn't.

“No, no, no...” She squeaked, “Matt no.”

Matt looked down at her and placed a hand on her shoulder, “We're going to live here for a while. Again. Just the two of us and some maids and butlers, it will be perfect.”

“No! No, I'm not going back in there no, take me home!”

"Stop."

Matt didn't expect Sky to freak out just as much as she did. He was quite taken back by her fighting. She was trying to kick the door open and pull the window down, little did she know that he had locked both of them before he even went to get her.

He wasn't stupid. He drove up the drive and put the car in park. He kicked open his door and walked around the truck. Sky was still freaking out, kicking and screaming, trying to do anything she could to get anyway from the one place on the planet she hated with such a burning passion she couldn't even look at the place, let alone in it.

Matt slowly opened Sky's door. She just looked up at him with a creased brow. There was really nothing she could do. She was stuck, she had to go with him in there. What else could she do? Try to run? She tried that the first time she was here and it all ended up way worse than it should have. She had to go with him back in that house. It wasn't about Matt any more. He couldn't protect her from his house, he couldn't calm her down, he didn't make her feel complete. Brian would calm her down, he would be able to protect her. She couldn't do anything without him.

Matt gestured for her to step out. He didn't look like he was in the mood to discuss. Sky decided to gingerly step out of the car looking up at her surroundings. Nothing had changed. It was exactly the same. The grass wasn't overgrown, the path wasn't cracked, the windows weren't dirty.

She took a step forward before a plant pot fell from the window sill on the top floor. Sky leapt backwards onto Matt's foot, she looked up at him with her hands clasped over her mouth.

He looked at her and shook his head before holding his breath and limping towards the front door.

Sky felt like a lost puppy. She quickly jogged up the steps after him and pushed herself against his back as he shut the door. Everything was exactly the same. Exactly the same. It smelt the same, looked the same, and even had Jimmy's hat on the coat rack still. It was like nothing had been touched at all. As if other people had been living in it … or as if the maids were expecting them to come back.

“Sky go upstairs and go to your bedroom.” He told her, nodding his head towards the spiral staircase.

Sky just nodded and began to half-run towards her old bedroom that she shared with Brian. She had done this way too many times, being sent to her room like a child. But, it was better to be somewhere she felt at least a little safe that reminded her of Brian and she didn't really feel like being around different people right now. The only thing on her mind was getting her and her baby back to Brian as quickly as she could.

Pushing open the door, nothing had changed. The bed still wasn't made and some of Brian's socks and an old t-shirt of his lay on the foot of the bed. The room still smelt of his after shave and bubble bath. It was comforting. She made her way over to his side of the bed and placed her head in his pillow, inhaling deeply and taking in his scent.

“I meant to wash those.”

Sky jumped backwards to see Shadows standing in the wooden arch way, his huge arms pressed above his head. Sky just looked down and shook her head, gripping the sheets between her fingers.

“Why are you doing this Matt? What are you going to get out of this besides loneliness at the end of it all?”

“I'm not going to loose anything, I'm already lonely,” He told her, “Plus, I miss having you around.”

Sky sighed, “You could have just... I'm pregnant Matt. The baby needs to be with it's dad, it needs to hear Brian's voice and I need him too.”

"It'll be fine."

She shook her head, "No Matt, it won't. I don't care about me any more, I care about my kid."

Matt dropped his eyes from Sky's and looked at her stomach. He stared at it, his eyes going wide and then normal again. He blinked once, hard and then shook his head, “Get rid of it.”

Sky gasped loudly, a hand automatically coming across and gripping hold of it. She shook her head brutally from side to side and began to push herself further away from him. He tried to reach out to her before she fell from the bed but it was too late., she fell backwards and landed with a thud on her ass. It didn't stop her however from standing up and staring at him in complete horror.

“Touch my baby Matt and I swear to fucking God-”

“It was a suggestion.” He interrupted.

“You realise this is the first place Brian will look?” She snapped at him.

He just shrugged his huge shoulders, “He better look out then.”

"He'll kill you!" She screamed, "He'll fucking kill you when he finds you!"

Matt laughed at her and winked, "Good night Princess."
♠ ♠ ♠
6 comments and I'll update? :)