Precious Love

Five

Having spent most of her day on campus, Sutton was glad to be pulling up to her apartment. It was a long day of studying in between classes. Getting out of Sidney's car, she locked it before heading inside the building. When she had been driving home, she had the idea of just staying at Craig's since his place was closer. But since she wasn't sure what they were up to she just headed back to the empty apartment since Bianca had told her at lunch that she'd be spending the night at Jordan's. It wasn't that she minded being alone in the apartment, but lately it seemed as if the only time Sutton really saw her roommate was when they were on campus at the same time.

As she got to her apartment door, Sutton had her keys out to unlock the door, but when she saw the door she realized it wasn't necessary. The door jam was busted and the door was opened. Not hearing anything coming from inside the apartment, she opened the door with her foot and carefully walked into her apartment.

“Holy shit.”

Looking around, the place was a mess, a complete mess. She had spent the majority of yesterday cleaning the place since she didn't have any classes and wanted a break from studying. The vase that held the flowers that Craig had sent to her was on the floor in pieces while the flowers looked stepped on. Digging out her cell phone from her bag, she looked down at the screen as she slowly walked towards her bedroom. After dialing the familiar number, she put the phone to her ear.

After the third ring, someone picked up.

“Hey, Sutton. I thought you were too busy studying to have dinner tonight.”

“Craig, are you far from my apartment?”

“Ten minutes or so,” he told her. “Why what's going on?”

“I just walked through the door and someone broke in here. Not sure how long ago, but someone was here. Things are missing and broken.”

“Did you know before or after you walked into the apartment?” Craig asked as he stood up from his seat where he was having dinner with some of his teammates.

“Well the door jam was busted and the door wasn't locked,” Sutton admitted. “But I didn't hear anything so I went in and everything is ruined.”

“Okay, listen to me and listen to me real good,” Craig said. “Stay where you are. I'm coming there. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” Sutton sighed. “I'm gonna pack a bag. I can't stay here.”

“No, you can't,” Craig agreed. “Be there shortly. Don't do anything stupid.”

Hanging up his cell, he looked into the worried glances of his teammates that heard his half of the conversation. “Sutton's apartment was broken into. And my sister has gone inside of the apartment. I swear she needs to get it through her head that she can't do this shit.”

“Is she okay?” Sidney asked, his eyes wide.

“I'm heading over there. Is she still using your car?”

“Yeah.”

“I'll give you a lift then,” Craig said. “See the rest of you tomorrow.”

Getting out of his seat, Sidney pulled his wallet out to pay for his meal, but Pascal Dupuis stopped him. “Don't worry about it. Go check on Sutton.”

“Thanks.”

Walking out of the restaurant, Sidney followed Craig to his car and got into the passenger seat. The drive to Sutton's apartment didn't take very long and before he knew it Sidney was following Craig into the apartment. “Sutton?”

There was no response and so Sidney walked towards her bedroom. Sitting on her bed was Sutton looking at a broken picture frame. Sitting down next to her, he looked at the frame in her hands. It was one of the few of them from a few weeks ago when they went out with Marc Andre and Vero. “I can't find the Shattuck St. Mary's sweatshirt that I took from your bedroom.”

“That's because it's at my house.” Craig said entering the room.

“Are you okay, Sutton?”

“I don't understand why someone broke in,” she said shaking her head. “We've lived here for so long and we've never had a problem like this before.”

“Sutton we should go.”

“Go where?” she asked. “My home has been broken into and someone went through my stuff and they broke things. How can someone do this?”

“I don't know Sutton,” Sidney said. “But we should get out of here.”

“I need to call the police and everything,” Sutton said as she stood up. “I haven't done that yet. I-”

“Sutton, look at me.”

Looking into her brother's eyes, she could see the concern in them. “Sidney is going to take you away right now, okay? You need to relax, I'll handle everything.”

Nodding her head, she turned and looked at Sidney. “Where are we going?”

“We are going to Craig's and I promise I'm not gonna leave, okay?”

Nodding her head head, she hugged her brother. As she went to take the bag from him, he gave it to Sidney to carry. Picking up the frame, she walked to the door. Glancing back she looked at her destroyed apartment before picking up her purse and leaving with Sidney. Taking her hand into his own, Sidney nodded to Craig who was on the phone calling the police.

The drive over to Craig's place was silent and the only thing that was heard in the car was the low volume of the radio. Pulling up to the house, Sidney parked the car in front of the house before going around to get Sutton's bag.

Walking slowly up to the front doors, Sutton jumped in surprise when her sister-in-law opened the door. Taking Sutton in her arms, Anne looked over at Sidney who had Sutton's bag over his shoulder. “I've got things under control here, Sid. You can head home now.”

Hearing the soft cries coming from Sutton, Sidney knew he couldn't leave. Back at the apartment, he told her he wouldn't leave. It wasn't that he didn't trust Anne, because he did, but he wanted to be there for Sutton. When Anne looked back at him, he hadn't moved and it looked like he was struggling with what he wanted to say.

“What is it Sidney?” Anne asked softly as she looked at the hockey superstar.

“I want to stay with Sutton tonight,” he said, looking at Sutton before bringing his eyes up to meet Anne's. “Would you mind if I stay with her tonight?”

Nodding her head, Anne led Sutton inside the house before letting her go into Sidney's care. Anne stayed downstairs and watched as Sutton grabbed onto Sidney's hand as they made their way to the bedroom that Sutton used when she stayed with them.

Closing the door behind them, Sidney placed Sutton's bag at the foot of the bed. Turning and looking at her, she was looking right at him. Walking over to her, he wrapped his arms around her and brought her closer to his body. “Are you okay?” he whispered into her ear.

Shaking her head, she just buried her head into his chest. The day had started out just fine and now it seemed as if things couldn't get any worse. “Promise me something?” Sutton asked once she let go of him.

“What is it?”

“Don't leave tonight,” Sutton said. “Please.”

“I'm not going anywhere.”

Waking up the next morning, Sutton turned to get more comfortable in bed. She didn't want to get up, because that would mean that she would have to deal with everything that happened last night. Feeling a pair of lips on her forehead. “Morning.”

Moving her head, she looked into the pair of chocolate brown eyes that were looking down at her. “Morning,” Sutton said before rolling away from Sidney a little bit, before stretching her limbs. “I really don't want to leave the bed today.”

“I know,” Sidney said, placing his hand on her stomach where there was a small bump. “But there is a lot to do today.”

“There is?” Sutton asked. “Like what?”

“Going over to your apartment and packing the rest of your stuff.”

“No more apartment for me.” she stated.

“It would be best if you weren’t there any longer,” Sidney said as Sutton placed her hand on top of his that was resting on her stomach where their baby was growing. “I just want you to be safe, the both of you.”

“I know it would be best not to go back there, but at the same time there were a lot of good memories there.”

Leaning down, Sidney placed a soft kiss on the skin of her stomach. “And maybe in a place of our own we could make new memories.”

“You mean move in together?”

Smiling, Sidney looked into her eyes. “I think that it would be a good idea. Especially when the baby comes. We don't want to be going from place to place.”

“No we don't,” Sutton agreed. “That would be too stressful on everyone.”

“The less stress, the better.”

“But you think we should live together?”

“I do,” Sidney said. “I think we should buy a house and get it ready and it should be ready before the baby gets here.”

Smiling at him, Sutton was about to reply when the door to the bedroom opened up. Glancing to the door she saw Bianca and Jordan walk in and close the door behind them.

“How did you get in here?” Sutton asked.

“Your sister-in-law let us in on her way out.”

“We just came from the apartment.” Bianca said as she sat on the foot of the bed while Jordan opted for the chair that sat by the desk.

“They ruined a lot of stuff.” Sutton said.

“The TV is beyond repair and the couch will need to be replaced.” Bianca said.

“Anything missing of yours?” Sutton asked.

“Not that I noticed.”

“You both are moving out today, right?” Jordan asked.

Sutton looked up at Sidney and smiled. “Yeah, we are going to get most of my stuff later today.”

“What's with the look and the smile?” Bianca asked, noticing as her friend turned her body so she was laying closer to Sidney.

“We have decided that we are going to live together.”

“So you're moving out of Mario's place?” Jordan asked.

“Not right away, but eventually,” Sidney said. “We have to find a house first and then we have to make sure it will be ready for the baby and what not.”

“It has to have a pool.”

“Sutton is addicted to the pool on summer days,” Bianca said. “That's what she fell in love with at the apartment. Was the pool since it was well taken care of.”

“Minor detail.”

“So a good pool should go on the list.” Sidney said with a grin.

“Feels weird, doesn't it?” Bianca asked aloud. “Making these decisions. I mean if you asked me six months ago if I though Sutton would be having a baby with Sidney or even a baby at all I would have said no. And now, we are moving out of our first apartment. She's moving into a house with Sidney and before everyone knows it, there will be Crosby junior out on the ice.”

“It could be a girl.” Sutton said.

“Doesn't matter,” Jordan laughed. “That kid is half Crosby and half Adams. That kid will be on the ice before he or she can even crawl.”

“Not wearing skates they won't.”

“You've already got the mother thing down, Sutton.”

“I have my doctor's appointment to go to tomorrow,” Sutton said as she looked at Sidney. “Are you coming with me?”

“Yeah,” Sidney said. “Then maybe we can go and look at homes.”

“Homes,” Sutton said nodding. “I like the sound of that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!

Sutton coming home from school
Sutton in bed