Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Permanently Yours

Eat My Worried Brain.

“Spell ‘tough’.”

“T-O…T-O-U-G-H. Tough.”

“Spell ‘tongue’.”

“T-O…T-O-U-“

“Wrong.” Garrett pouted and folded his arms across his chest. “Garrett, it’s just spelling. It’s so easy. Look at the words again, and I’ll quiz you again in a bit,” I sighed, pushing the paper to him and pulling out another coloring book of mine. I was coloring a picture of Belle in her pretty yellow gown.

“How’s the homework coming?” mom asked, peeking into our study room from the kitchen.

“Spelling is hard,” Garrett whined.

“Grey, I thought I told you to help your brother,” mom scolded.

“I am!” I said quickly, stuffing my coloring book under my homework folder. “He’s just being stupid.”

Garrett glared at me and kicked me under the table. “I’m not stupid!”

“Mom, he kicked me!” I accused, pointing my finger at him and rubbing my shin.

“That’s enough,” mom shouted, pulling Garrett’s chair away from mine. “I don’t want either of you to say that word again. Grey, help Garrett with his homework.”

“I have to do my homework, too,” I muttered, even though I was already done. I just didn’t want to help Garrett. Because, to Garrett, “help” was showing him my homework after I’d done it.

“You’ve got the same homework as Garrett!” mom pointed out. “Hurry and get it done. If one of you isn’t done with homework, neither of you are eating dinner.”

I glared at Garrett. Mom made my favorite tonight, too – chicken alfredo, because I made it into the school spelling bee and I asked that she make it to celebrate. “Do your stinkin’ homework,” I muttered under my breath, focusing on coloring Belle again.

Garrett just sighed again but he did try to work on his homework this time. We were in the same grade and same class. The teachers thought we were super cute. I thought first grade was super boring. Garrett’s favorite class was music class, like me. Everything else was really boring. “Grey…can you help me solve this math problem?”

“What problem?”

“This one! Uh…this word problem here,” Garrett pointed the number out on his worksheet.

“Hmm…’How do you make eighty cents using the least number of coins?’” I read the problem out loud before sighing loud, too. “Garrett, didn’t you listen to the teacher? I don’t know how to teach you how to do this. It’s so easy.”

Garrett sighed loudly, letting his face hit the table. “I hate math!”

“Me too.” I don’t think it’s occurred to Garrett that I really, really, really don’t like him. Well, only most of the time. He’s my brother, I have to get along with him some of the time. I just don’t like how my parents seem to give him so much attention…it’s not fair!

…I noticed Garrett will always, always say “my mom” or “my dad” even if he’s talking to me. Like, I could do something I’m actually not supposed to, so he’ll yell something like “Hey, my dad said not to do that! He’ll get mad at you!” Which annoys me so much. I mean, seriously, they’re our parents. As in, not just his, but mine, too.

Dinner that night was uneventful. Dad was tired, so he didn’t really care that I made it into the school spelling bee. Mom was proud of me, though. Garrett just played with his food and complained that he didn’t like it. He was so annoying. “Can I get some more water?” Garrett asked, holding up his empty plastic cup.

“Garrett, you’ve been drinking too much. You need to eat some food now,” my dad scolded him.

Garrett sighed and slammed his plastic cup back down on the table, knocking over my drink and making it spill all over my lap. “Garrett!” I yelled angrily, putting my cup back up.

Mom sighed. “Could you clean that up, Grey? Garrett, you sit down and eat. You don’t leave this table until you’re done.”

“Why do I have to clean it up? Garrett’s the one who –“

“Clean it up please, Grey,” Dad cut me off, so I grudgingly got to my feet and grabbed some paper towels.

I hated cleaning up after Garrett when it was his own fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading, hope you liked it!
yes, every other chapter will be a flashback.
i'm the oldest in a family of three. i'm enjoying these flashbacks.
anyways, feedback would be lovely ♡
thanks for the comments, ally and jennabobenna!