Sequel: By Now

More Than Words

Take me out tonight

“Wait, wait, wait. Slow down.” Carly said into the phone. “Start form the beginning. You’ve got a new guy in the shop and he’s charming, and English…”

“Yes, charming and English and gorgeous.” I said, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear while I washed my dishes from dinner. “And I was teaching him how to work everything in the shop and he’s just the kind of guy who my mom would have hired if she were still alive. He’s wonderful with the customers and he’s really working hard to learn where everything is so he can help out when he’s on his own or I’m busy. And he was just so sweet, so I took him out to lunch and he was a perfect gentleman and we played 20 questions and he was a little embarrassing with all the sexual questions, but I found out that he’s gay as well and then when we got back to the shop he decided he wanted to teach me to dance like they did in Texas while the shop wasn’t busy and I don’t think I’ve had that much fun in a really long time.”

Okay… how ‘bout that for rambling.

“He got sexual in 20 questions?”

“Yeah.” I said. “He was asking all this shit about when I realized I was gay and whether I’ve had sex or not and stuff like that.”

“He so wants your body.” she said, her smile apparent, even over the phone. “Seriously, though, I’m really happy for you. It sounds like you really like this guy.”

“I’m really happy.” I said, “But the point is, I asked him to come dancing tomorrow night so I’m coming down to see you.”

“You are?” she said. “And you’re bringing your boy toy?” Before I could protest at her new name for him, she was talking again. “You asked him out, too! I’m so proud of you. This is your first date in… forever.”

“I know. He’s just… so amazing! And how about we not share that information with Nick tomorrow? I don’t want him to think I’m a complete loser.”

“No problem.” she agreed. “So where do you want to go? What are you planning on wearing?”

The next hour was spent sending Carly pictures of dozens of different outfits for tomorrow night and waiting for her approval on one. When we finally got off the phone, I showered and went to bed. I had a feeling I would need my energy for tomorrow night.

***

The next morning, I was in the middle of brushing my teeth when my cell phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID and, not recognizing the number, spat out my toothpaste to answer the phone.

“Hey, it’s Nick.” he replied.

I smiled, liking the fact that he’d called so soon. I’d only given him my number yesterday. “Oh, hi!”

“Good morning. I was just calling about tonight. We’re going to a club, yeah?”

“Yes, indeed.” I said.

“But my clubbing clothes aren’t exactly what I’d call ‘work appropriate’, so…”

“Oh, neither are mine.” I said. “Just bring them with you and we can change in the shop’s bathroom before we go. That’s what I normally do.”

“Awesome, thanks.” he said. “I’ll see you in a few, then.”

“See you.” I said, hanging up and looking in the mirror.

Why Nick would be interested in a guy like me completely escapes me, but somehow, he is. Well, I think he is. He called me cute and asked for my number and danced with me and agreed to go out dancing tonight… That means he’s interested… right?

***

Work was relatively full of people once school let out, because it was Friday and there were a couple groups of high school students that would straggle into the young adult section every once in a while. Not that I'm complaining, but it did give me a lot less time to get to know Nick, which was my new favorite hobby.

Eventually, it was closing time, and I was waiting for Nick to come out of the bathroom so I could change next. Being the polite guy I am, I’d let him go first.

A small cough took my thoughts away from the book I had on the counter in front of me and to the gorgeous man now standing in front o f me. He’d put on some ridiculously tight black skinny jeans and a nice white v-neck, not too tight, but tight enough to hint at the toned, yet small, form underneath. I swallowed hard and looked back up into his eyes, their beautiful blue color standing out even more than usual.

“You look great.” I said. “Definitely going to fit in.” Lies. He was going to stand out. No one I’ve ever seen at the club is as attractive as he is now.

“Good.” he said. “Don’t want to attract too much attention.”

“Well, you’ve got mine.” I said, picking up my bag with my clothes for tonight and walking towards the bathroom he’d just vacated.

“Wouldn’t want anyone else’s.” Nick said, playfully tapping my ass as I walked by.

I turned and looked at him disapprovingly. “Don’t get fresh. I could fire you on grounds of sexual harassment.”

“Oh, you know you like it.” he said, smirking.

I just rolled my eyes and continued into the bathroom, because yeah, I did like it. A lot, actually.

When I got inside and closed the door behind me, I finally allowed myself to smile, and a huge grin split my face.

I looked at the mirror and smiled broadly, letting my excitement out. He was interested. If that wasn’t flirty, then I don’t know what is.

I slipped out of my loose jeans in favor of slightly tighter skinny jeans and a gray t shirt with “Art Is the Weapon” written across the front in black. I slipped my old black converse that I’d decided long ago were no longer work appropriate, smiling at how good it felt to be going out again. It had been months since I’d gone clubbing with Carly and Damien.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I pulled out my miniature straightener and waited for it to heat up before running it through my hair and getting it a little more orderly and stopping the annoying curls that are always there. My hair is naturally wavy, so unless I straightened it, it would always curl up. Carly liked it, but I was not a fan…

I finished my hair and unplugged the straightener before walking out of the bathroom to find Nick dancing along to some pop-punk songs that was blasting out of the radio next to him. Not gonna lie, that boy could move his hips.

“Practicing for later?” I asked.

He looked up and blushed slightly, but covered it up with a smirk. “Well, I wouldn’t want to disappoint. Your two-step gave me some big shoes to fill. You think there’ll be some shelves for me to run into at the club?”

“Oh, fuck you.” I said. “You think you’re so funny.”

“Oh, I know I’m funny.”

I laughed and shook my head. “You ready to go?”

“Show me the way.” he said, holding the door open for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title from Take Me Out from RENT.

I'm just dangling this date in front of your noses. Like the horse and the carrot on a stick... I promise it's in the next chapter!

Let me know how you're liking it?

Thanks to Nytestalker and HayliexMon for commenting so quickly?

One lucky commenter on this chapter will get to choose the title of the sequel (which I'm already starting to think of, that's how far I've pre-written)!