Sequel: By Now

More Than Words

Stay with me by my side, 'til the morning, through the night

The drive back home was quiet, but not in an awkward way. Nick had pulled out my “night driving” mix CD and he was alternating between looking at me and looking at the road.

“You can really dance.” Nick said suddenly, breaking the silence.

“So I’ve been told.” I said, glancing over at him and smirking. “I have to have the rest of my life under control, so it’s nice to just let go every once in a while.”

“Yeah, it’s great to let loose.” he said. “You should do it more often.”

“I just don’t get out much.”

“I’m sorry that I kept you from seeing Carly.” he said, changing the topic. “I know you were looking forward to it.”

“It’s totally fine.” I said. “You and I both completely lost track of time. Besides, I really liked dancing with you. It’s always a little awkward with Carly because I don’t like girls and she has a boyfriend. I bet you ten dollars she’ll call me tomorrow to gush about how ‘cute’ we were.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” I said. “She’s desperate for me to get a boyfriend. She thinks I need to get out more.”

“Well, you kind of do.” he said. “I’ll have to make sure you don’t become a hermit.”

“Hey, fuck you, I’m not going to become a hermit.”

“You might.” he said. “Just stick with me though.”

“I don’t have a problem with that.” I said, smiling.

“Good.” he said. “’Cause I plan on spending a lot of time with you.”

I pulled into the main square of the town and frowned slightly. I had no idea where he lived.

“Where should I drop you off?” I asked.

“I’m, um… I’m actually staying at the Best Western.”

“You’re at a hotel?” I asked, incredulous. “That’s got to be ridiculously expensive after a while.”

“It is a bit.” Nick said. “It’s not really a problem.”

“No, it kind of is.” I said, frowning. “My mother would kill me if she knew I was letting someone work in the shop without a real place to live. We had employees on the floors of different genre sections for a while, just because they were new in town and she didn’t want them spending what could one day be rent money on a hotel.”

“Oh.” he said.

I thought it over quickly, making a snap decision. “I have a free room.” I said.

“What?”

“I inherited my mom’s house. It’s big and could do with another resident. It’s far too empty with just me.”

“Are you offering me a place to stay?”

“Yeah, I guess I am.” I said. “Let’s go pick up your bags and check you out of the hotel. Do you still have some nights paid for?”

“Actually, no.” he said. “I was paying by the day so I could move as soon as I found an apartment.”

“Awesome. So we’ll go get your bags and check you out of the hotel. Do you have much stuff?”

“Nah.” he said. “Everything I chose to bring with me fits in a rolling suitcase, a duffel bag and a backpack.”

I drove him over to the hotel and helped him load his bags into my car and drove back to my house.

“Thank you for doing this.” Nick said, resting his hand on my knee.

“It’s no problem.” I said. “I get lonely in that big house all alone. Besides, even though I haven’t known you for very long, I like you already. You’d really be doing me a favor.”

“I have to pay you rent or something.” he said. “I can’t just freeload off of you. Especially since you’re my boss.”

“Seriously, don’t worry about it.” I said. “I have enough money. Just… can you cook?”

“A bit. I’m best with breakfast.”

“Then make me breakfast every once in a while and we’ll call it even.”

“You’re sure?”

“Very.”

“Thank you.” he said, leaning over and kissing my cheek.

I smiled over at him as we pulled up outside of the house.

We got his stuff upstairs and into the guest bedroom and I frowned, looking down at the bare mattress.

“I guess I haven’t washed the sheets yet. They must still be in the laundry.”

“Oh, well, just give me a blanket and I’ll crash on the couch.”

“No you will not.” I said. “My mother would come back from the grave and haunt me if she knew that I let someone sleep on the couch. Do you mind terribly sharing a bed?”

“Not at all.” he said. “As long as you don’t mind that I’m a cuddler.”

“That’s perfect, ‘cause I am as well.”

After getting in my pajamas, I lay down on my bed, getting comfortable underneath the covers. Soon, Nick joined me, his warm body adding to the warmth of the covers.

“Goodnight, Ellory.” he said.

“G’night.” I mumbled sleepily. I was too tired to care who was cuddling who, but I have to admit, falling asleep next to someone was a lot better than doing so alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title from Baby Blue Eyes by A Rocket To the Moon

I'm bored and on break, so you're prolly gonna get quite a few updates here. You should entertain me with your comments :)

Maybe I'll say that I'll update every time someone comments, okay? Sound good? Awesome.