Get up Whenever You Fall

Thea

I was invited in a group hang-out with Niko and the guys, no matter how non-conforming I appeared. In the speed of lightning, I slid out of my worn-out uniform and clipped some of my hair up, leaving some strands astray.

With all work done, I said my today's goodbye to my co-workers and pushed through the exit doors. The blistering sun immediately beamed on my face, and my skin was jacketed with instant warmth.

"There she is," Adriel smiled. However, my eyes focused on the maroon-haired guy, called Travis.

"Thea," Niko chirped with her delicate voice and grinned as brilliantly as Adriel.

Travis risked a glance at me, and I gave him consistent glimpses in return. With no warning, Travis began walking away, and everyone else had no choice but to follow. "So where are we going?" Niko asked with her head cocked innocently to the side.

"Let's go to the beach!" this guy named Francis yelled. I guess I was learning everyone's names without fully realizing it.

"Yeah, I know someone from there that can help us rent surfboards... if you guys wanna go surfing," Adriel implied, grinning slyly. It was all everyone did; they smiled genuinely (if not smirk). Even Niko.

"That would be fun," I nodded, agreeing.

The sand was pleasant underneath my toes, scrunched and soft. The waves gently splashed against our faces (a refreshing touch of the waters), and we had an awesome time overall. I mean, the guys were obviously goofy, but we traded laughter and guffaws. That was all that mattered to me.

And we toured around town, probing even some places we hadn't even known were there at all. We experimented with drinks (chugged down a combo of slurpee and DQ blizzard), a couple of the guys played ding-dong ditch around the neighbourhood (and almost got reported), and lastly, visited the skatepark where everyone knew what their business was and stunned me with their skateboarding and BMX tricks.


...


That was what happened yesterday, which is why Niko and the guys are visiting my house all of a sudden, I guess.

"Ooh, you have chips here," Adriel observes in the kitchen. "Mind if I eat some?" He produces a bowl in his hands and pours the chips in until the bowl is brimming. The guys are already crouching on the floor or plopping on the loveseat, connecting all their gazes on the t.v.

Arcadia, oblivious to the fact that a crowd of people are present in our house, hops down the stairs and takes in what is in front of her.

"What... is this?" she questions. "Thea, what are all these people doing here?"

Before I can do anything, Niko stands up and offers her hand, along with her signature smile.