You're Never Gonna Find It if You're Looking for It

"My Name's Hazel."

The man who owned the pair of gorgeous brown eyes smiled at me as he held out his hand.

"That must've hurt a little bit." he said. I stared at his hand for a few moments, before shaking my head and realizing that he was meaning to help me up. So then, I took his hand, and he pulled me to my feet. (No, not swept. Hahaha and Roxanne's not here to smack me upside the head! MUHAHAHAHA!)

"Yeah, just a little bit." I replied. I started dusting off the dirt on my light jacket.

"My name's Jeph and this is Rob." The guy with beautiful brown eyes said. Jeph...it doesn’t exactly suit him.

"I prefer the name Bert, though. In fact, dont even call me Rob. Thats just...ew. A disgusting name."

I chuckled slightly. "My name's Hazel."

"Ahhh, Hazel? That's a nice name." Jeph said, with a spaced out look on his face.

"Yeah...I guess so."

"Oooooooooooooooh, Jeph's got a crush!" Bert said tauntingly.

"Shut up, you scumbag!"

"No you shut up!"

"No--"

And amidst their fighting, i slowly backed away, and turned around when i was almost sure they weren't paying any attention to me anymore.

"Hey, where are you going?" The voice of Jeph said.

I guess they were paying attention.

"What?" i asked, turning around, and almost having our noses touch.

"Where are you going?" he asked again.

I smirked, and then put my hand on his chest and pushed him away.

"Home."

And i heard nothing else out of him.

I wandered around, breathing in the fresh October air in the middle of Lindon, Utah. It wasn't too far away from Orem, Utah, where I'd lived from the ages of 7-18. Then, i moved out for the sake of getting the hell out of my parents' house.

I looked around for my car until i found it. It was parked a few blocks away from a bar I’d gone to drink at earlier. The funny thing is, I'm not even 21 yet, I'm only 19, and flashing my fake ID at the bouncers was convincing enough.

This world has definitely gone to shit when i can do that.

I got into my old, ugly car and started it up...well, attempted to. I always have to try at least 4 times before it actually starts up. But it's okay, because i like the shitty things in life.

I pulled down the mirror thing and stared at my reflection.

I guess i was a considerably attractive 19 year-old female. I mean, no one ever really told that to me, but the few people that have, meant it.

I had dark brown hair that was almost black (it pretty much is black, though it does decide to look brown on some days and black on others) and it flowed to my elbows. It was silky, and stick straight, but that's what i hated about it. I could never do anything with it, even with 12 billion hair care products in it.

And because of the Italian heritage in me, i tan really easy. To me, it's both a blessing and a curse, because i look really good while tan, but I'd much rather be pale.

My best friend, Zoë, had dragged me to a tanning booth the other day because she wanted to tan, but didn't want to go alone. Being the nice friend I am, i went...and now, my skin is darker than the color of black coffee when you only put 1 cream in it.

And last but not least, my most appealing feature. My amber eyes. Everyone i know is in love with them. So much, that it almost sickens me. Almost.

But it kind of DID make me sick, because i always hear my family members say "Ooooh, Hazel Zelda May Niyte, you have the most gorgeous eyes EVER!"

And when people say BOTH my middle names, it sort of makes me sick. I have such an unusual sounding full name. 'Hazel Zelda May Niyte' It sounds like Princess Zelda out of The Legend of Zelda is looking out of her house on a May Night. Blah, my name sounds like a sentence. I hate having 2 middle names, it’s so unusual.

I then drove off to my house.

Well, my apartment...

And it wasn't exactly the greatest thing in the world. I had barely any furniture, and it was cramped, and rather dirty. I've had to smash a couple of cockroaches here and there, but it's just dandy other than that. Like i said earlier, i like the shitty things in life.

Once there, i was greeted by Zoë.

"HEY, HAZY! GUESS WHAT'S DIFFERENT!"

"You broke into my apartment?"

"No, i do that all the time!"

"Oh, right." I looked her up and down, but didn't notice anything. "Um…i don't know, what's different?"

"My hair! Look at my hair! It's a type of purple color! Its normally light brown but it's purple!"

"Ah. For how long?" I asked, plopping myself down on my couch, and grabbing my pack of Marlboro Red 100's and my lighter and lighting one up. "While you're up, can you grab me a beer?" I asked Zoë.

"My hair's going to be purple for about 8 to 10 more showers. This automatically means that it's not going to wash out for a while, because you know me." She answered, while getting me a beer and handing it to me.

"Yeah." I cracked it open and took a sip.

Hah, i know you're thinking, 'God, alcoholic, much?' but I’m not...well, not really. We're all off subject now, so I'm going to continue saying what i was talking about.

"Ugh, I’m so hungry i could eat a horse." I groaned. I picked up the remote, and started flipping through the channels.

Zoë looked at me with the oddest look. “You’re so insensitive."

"I was being sarcastic."

"Well...um...SO!" she crossed her arms and stared at the channels i was flipping through. There was nothing good on, there’s never anything good on. I stopped on the discovery channel. There was some weird show talking about giraffes. "Meet any guys at the bars you hopped around?"

I automatically thought about Jeph. Yeah, i met him but...i didn't get his number or anything. And that's what Zoë wanted me to go out and skip around bars for. She said i needed to find a mate to elope with. She's got her boyfriend (more or less to the point, her fuck buddy) and they've been dating for 6 long months. It's October now, and Zoë told me it's my mating season.

"I didn't meet anyone." I said apathetically.

"Girl-" she snapped her fingers, "I know you're lying to me! I can read you like a book, now tell me all about him!"

"You say you read me like a book, but there are a few tattered and torn pages, and some are even missing." I took another big drink of my beer and a long drag of my cigarette. I flicked the ashes into the newly cleaned ash tray, and continued watching Discovery Channel.

"Tell me every little detail."

I sighed, before taking another drag of my cigarette and one more drink. "I only went to one bar, and 5 guys hit on me. I turned them all down, and i was there for 2 whole hours before i left." I wanted to say something about Jeph, but...it wasn't anything. He helped me up when i ran into a pole. That's it.

Zoë gave me a funny look. "Well, okay, i'm going to believe you this time, missy. Mark my words, though, if i find out there's a guy and i wasn't informed about him, I'm going to get you guys together faster than you can snap your fingers."

I shrugged. “Okay.” I then took another long drag of my cigarette, before putting it out.