Sequel: Bright Lights
Status: In the Works :]

Keeping Up With Toews?

Chapter 11. Somewhere Only We Know.

After yesterday’s adventure, I stared down at my promise ring, shining perfectly against my small hand. It’s band fitting perfectly around my ring finger, where it stayed safely. I stared at it for a few more minutes, before I heard my phone ring. Seeing that it was my mom calling, I rolled my eyes and picked up her call, “Yes?” “Karoline, I need you to fly down to L.A this week. There’s some important news that I need all of the family to hear.” “I can’t mom, I have a lot of things to do. School is about to start up and I need to get all my books and classes paid for.” “Karoline, can you please for once and not be selfish and just come out here?” My jaw dropped, “Me? Selfish? Says the woman who hasn’t visited her daughter in Chicago in over a year, says the woman who can’t stop working 24/7 just to check up on me. I could be dead and you wouldn’t even care.” “Karoline! How dare you say that? That is really rude of you to say, I would care if anything happened to you. I’m sorry that I can’t take the time out of my busy schedule to visit you, I can’t be in 24 places in one time.” “And you say I’m the selfish one when you’re the same way. I guess I inherited that from you.”
With that, I ended the call, and put my head in my hands and let out a frustrated sigh, “Karoline?” I heard once the door opened, I looked at the clock on the stove and didn’t realize I had dazed for 40 minutes, “In the kitchen.” I yelled back, “I brought home some food, oh gosh, what happened now?” said Jon when he walked into the kitchen, setting the bags of food down. He got our food out and handed me my salad and sandwich.
“My mom called, and let’s just say it didn’t get to the point.” “I don’t understand why you can’t just make peace with them, Karoline. Do you want our child to have to go through this? Just fly to California and go hear the news, then just fly right back.” Jon said, as it was the easiest thing in the world, when really it wasn’t. “Jon, you just don’t understand, it’s more complicated than you think.” “Karoline, you can’t let grudges or anything get in the way of your family, no matter what they always will be your family whether you like it or not.” Furious at Jon’s words, I slammed my fork down and stormed into the bedroom, and slammed the door shut making sure it echoed through the hallways.
I sat on the bed and soon tears flooded down my cheeks, and I felt like a million bricks were hitting me in the stomach, “Baby, please open the door.” I heard Jon muffle, after a few minutes, I heard the doorknob click and the opened revealing Jon with a frown on his face. He went to where I sat, and just pulled me into his chest while I sobbed crazily. “I don’t want our baby to have to go through this, what if I’m like my mom? I don’t want to be a bad mom, I don’t want that.” I repeated through my horrible sobs. “Sshh, Karoline, you’re going to be the greatest mom in the world to our baby, when our little nugget comes, he’s going to have the best mom that all the little babies in the world would be jealous.” “I guess it’s just my hormones that are making me so moody and emotional. Ever since we found out, my emotion has been out of whack.” “It’s okay, it’s what every pregnant person goes through.” Jon slid his hands onto my now noticeable bump, and cradled it safely in his large hands. “I guess I’ll go to L.A, just to hear the news, and then I’m flying right after the news.” I finally said giving up, “And there’s my Karoline back.” I playfully punched his shoulder, and nuzzled my face into his neck sniffing in his manly scent of Hugo Boss cologne. After just sitting there and being in each others arms, we just sat around the condo for the rest of the day with each other cuddled on the couch, quilt thrown over us, and Netflix playing on the flat screen. “Just think, in 4 more months, our condo will go from quiet, to baby wails, and I’m okay with that.” Jonathan said, I kissed his lips lightly, and thought the same thing, in 4 more months, I will be cuddling next to Jon with our little baby between our bodies.

Los Angeles.
“Karoline, can you go with me and Kylie to the mall?” Kendall asked me when she and Kylie walked into the guest room in Khloe’s house. “Sure, let me put on a different shirt and we can go.” Without thinking I slid off my shirt, revealing my little baby bump to Kendall, and slid on a navy and white stripped shirt. “Uhm, Karoline?” Kendall asked, “Yes?” I replied, “Are you pregnant?” My eyes bulged out, and I sucked in a huge breath. “Kendall, why would you say that?” “Because when you were changing shirts, your stomach was round like how Kourtney’s was.” I sighed knowing she figured it out. “You know, for a 15 year old, you sure are pretty observant.” “So you are?!” Kendall screamed and charged at me hugging her tall tiny body to mine. “Yes, but you can’t say anything especially to Mom or Kim or anyone. Only Khloe, Lamar, and I guess now you, and probably Kylie. Swear Kendall.” “I swear, but when are you telling everyone?” “When me and Jon feel more comfortable about it, we just don’t want the media to find out.” With the conversation ending, Kendall and me went downstairs, grabbed Kylie and got into Khloe’s Range Rover and headed to the mall. “How’s Chicago? Is it crazy like New York?” Kylie asked, “It is, but it’s more peaceful, it’s not hectic like the city, but it’s nice.” “Can we visit you up there soon? I wanna go and see it.” “Of course, just ask Mom and Bruce, I’d be happy to have you two and show you guys around.”
After 4 hours at the mall, and many shopping bags later, we ended up at Mom’s house, where she told us that Kim and Kris had important news to tell everyone. I was hesitant to even go near the both of them, but so far I just ignored them whenever we would see each other or even cross paths. As we were all in the backyard, eating some food that was prepared, when Kim and Kris stepped in, big smiles shown on their faces.
“Family, Kris and I would like to share some news with you.” Kim started, Kim subtly moved her left hand and my eyes turned into saucers when I got caught with her ring finger, it was no longer naked, but now held one of the biggest diamonds rings ever. “Me and Kris, are getting MARRIED!” She finished with a big squeal and all but Kourtney, Khloe, Rob, Lamar, Scott, and me were all but excited. I didn’t know how the others felt, but I felt rage go through my body. I angrily stood up and all hell broke loose. “You have got to be FUCKING kidding me!” I yelled, “You guys have been together for not only a YEAR, let alone been in a serious relationship, your already going to get married?!” “Karoline!” Mom intervened. “No! It’s so stupid, how can you already talk about marriage, when you two never lived with each other for more than 6 months? You don’t know each others habits, each others pet peeves, do you really know each other? Because last time I remember, Kris, you didn’t even know that Kim was married before. I think this is all a big fucking joke. I can’t believe I flew all the way from Chicago just to hear this shit.” With the end of that, I stormed into the house, and out the front door, grabbing the keys and wallet on the way out and headed to Khloe’s, ready to leave this god forsaken place.

Khloe’s POV:
After Karoline’s outburst, Kim was breaking down and Kris was calming her down, “That was so rude of her! Why can’t she just be happy for me?” Kim sobbed, Mom had her phone in her hand, and was already talking harshly into the phone, I looked to Lamar, Kourtney, Scott, and Rob to see their faces, and they all held the same expression that I had, shock, surprise, and worry. Shock at Kim’s engagement, surprised at Karoline’s outburst, and worry about Karoline’s health, knowing that she was already months into her pregnancy, and worried that she could be driving recklessly.
After all the chaos ended, and with everyone at my house, I got a phone call from Jonathan, “Khloe?! I’ve tried calling Karoline and she won’t pick up, is she with you?” he said frantically, “No, after Kim told us about the engagement, Karoline exploded, and stormed out of the house.” I told him replaying the events that just happened, “I can feel something bad happening, she always answers my phone calls, can you try calling her?” “Yeah, of course. I’ll call you back if she doesn’t, but if she does, I’ll tell her to call you.” “Alright, thankyou.” After ending the call, Kourtney’s phone started ringing, “Hello?” “This is she,” “Oh my god, okay we’re on the way.” “Scott, grab Mason. Khlo, Lamar, get the car. The hospital just called and Karoline’s been in an accident. They said we should hurry.” When Kourtney said that, all the color just drained from my face, and I looked towards Lamar, and he held the same expression. We all hurried into our cars and sped off to the hospital, all of us praying that Karoline is okay, and that her baby would be too.
In my car, was Lamar, Rob, Kylie, and Kendall, and Scott, Mase, and Kourtney in the second car. After 20 minutes of pure torture, we finally reached the hospital, and parked and rushed to the front desk. “My sister Karoline, I need to know what room.” Kourtney said breathlessly. “She’s in surgery, but there is a private waiting room set up for you.” After the secretary gave us the number, we slowly walked to the waiting room, scared of the outcome. “I called Bruce and Mom, they’re on the way, Mom said she’d call Kim.” Kourtney said as all of us sat inside the waiting room. Kendall tapped my shoulder tears in her eyes, “Do you think the baby is okay too?” she whispered, my eyes grew wide. “She told me this morning, after asking about it.” She answered, “I don’t know Kendall, but I pray to God, that he/she is.”
Waiting 4 hours, with now the whole family, the Doctor knocked on the door, everyone quickly stood up; “I’m Dr. Thomas, I had operated on Karoline this afternoon. The accident was not something that I would want to see, when her car flipped from such a forceful impact, Karoline had gotten a large piece of glass that pierced her stomach region, causing much blood loss, but after operating, we were able to stitch her up, and a blood transfusion. Unfortunately, we were not able to save her baby. We had to do an emergency delivery.” “Bab..Baby?” Mom stuttered, “Yes, Karoline was 5 months pregnant with a girl.” My heart broke into a million pieces hearing those words come from his mouth, I broke into a fit of sobs and held onto Lamar tightly. “When can we see her?” Rob asked, “She’s still on anesthetics and sleeping now, but you can still see her, but only a few at a time.” “Okay, Thank you Dr. Thomas.” Everyone was crying, but relieved that Karoline was okay.
“Karoline was pregnant, and she didn’t tell anyone?!” Mom yelled, “She didn’t want too yet.” Kendall said with tears streaming down her face, “and how did you know Kendall?” “She told me after I had asked her, it’s noticeable mom. If you would’ve paid attention, you would’ve known!” Kendall yelled. “Kendall Jenner, don’t you raise your voice.” “Mom, just shut up!” Rob said. “You wanna know why she kept it secret? It’s because she wants her life to be normal, away from the media, her and Jonathan wanted to keep it between a few people before they made an announcement.” I interjected, “She didn’t want to flaunt her pregnancy, she didn’t want to have people follow her everywhere, to have stress on her and the baby. But you know what?! If you wouldn’t have bugged her about coming down here for this stupid announcement, she would’ve been in Chicago, safe with her boyfriend, decorating their first child’s nursery. But no! You had to annoy her about coming down here, calling her selfish because apparently she’s ‘busy’ is because she is taking care of her baby, 4 months later, she could’ve been in a delivery room, all of us around her, and delivering her healthy baby girl, and starting her own family. But, now I have to call her boyfriend, whose been worried since Karoline didn’t pick up, and tell him that his girlfriend had been in an accident, and that he just lost his first child, his first baby girl.” With the last word said, I exited the waiting room, Jonathan’s number already dialed, “Khloe?! Did you find her?” “Jonathan, you might want to sit down.” “Khloe, what’s going on?” “Jon, this isn’t easy for me to say.” “Khloe your scaring me, is Karoline okay?” “Karoline was in a car accident, they were able to operate and stitch her up, but they had to do an emergency delivery, and the baby didn’t make it.” “Khloe, this isn’t funny.” “I wish this was all a big April Fools’ joke, but it isn’t.” “I’m flying out there tonight, I’ll call you when I land.” Jonathan hung up and I let tears fall again, “Did you call him?” Kourtney asked when she found me on the floor crying. “Yeah, he’s flying out here tonight.” “I just wish we had a time machine, and had stopped her from leaving,” “No, I wish she wouldn’t have came down here, she’s better off without us.” With my words echoing in my head, I knew that Kourtney was thinking the same thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not updating on Monday, I was camping during the holidays!
I hope this chapter will kind of make up for it. I cried while I was writing this, and now my emotions are out of whack.
Anyways, comment, subscribe, and please give feedback!
Also, I have reached to over 200 readers, have 46 subscribers!
THANKYOU EVERYONE,
YOU GUYS ARE ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING! <3