Sequel: Bright Lights
Status: In the Works :]

Keeping Up With Toews?

Chapter 13: Babysitting Madelyn Grace.

Jonathan sat in the Blackhawks locker room after pre-season practice had started up, the summer to Jonathan had gone by in a blur and he felt all the energy he had left in him drain from his body today in practice. All morning, his teammates had heard about the incident and had given him his condolences and wished him the best in the future.
“Jonathan, do you and Karol wanna babysit Maddy tonight? Abby wants to have a date night and wanted to see if that would be okay if ya’ll did.” Sharp asked once he was dressed into his street clothes, “Sure, but I’ll have to call Karoline and ask, to make sure it was okay.” “Alright, just let me know before 4:30, and you can come over to the house if you want, or we can bring Maddy there.” “I’ll call her now and ask since we’re still here.” Jonathan swiped his lock on his IPhone and called Karoline. It rang four times before a small frail voice was heard on the other end, “Baby?” “Yeah,” “Are you okay?” “Yeah, I just went back to sleep after you left this morning, did you need anything?” “Oh, Sorry I woke you, but Sharp asked me if it was okay if we both babysat Maddy tonight while they have date night.” “Oh, well I guess we could, we aren’t doing anything tonight are we?” “I didn’t have anything planned, but it’s up to you with what we do.” There was a short pause before Karoline let out an audible sigh, “We can babysit tonight, are we going there or are they dropping her off?” “We can go there, whatever is comfortable for you honey.” “I want to go there.” “Okay, I’ll let Sharp know, I’ll be home in 20 minutes, I’ll pick up lunch and we can rest before tonight. I love you.” “Okay, love you too Jon.” The two hung up and Jon looked towards Sharpie, “We’ll babysit tonight, what time do you want us over?” The older man shrugged his shoulders, “I guess around 6:00? Abby has reservations for us at 6:30 and apparently we’ll be watching some chick-flick of hers. So we’ll be home around 10 the latest.” Jon nodded and the two hockey players exited the locker room and out into the windy air and into their appropriate vehicles.
While Jon stopped at a small sandwich shop, he thought back to the previous weeks that have happened, Karoline was getting back to her normal routine, but Karoline was scheduled to have her stitches taken out next week. Last Tuesday, Jon and Karoline headed to the doctors to see if Karoline would be able to be pregnant again if they had tried again, the doctor gave Karoline a exam, since her baby was delivered 4 months prior to the actual date, after a few days, the doctor gave the couple the thumbs up and that Karoline was healthy, and would be able to conceive children.
Jon was snapped out of his thoughts when the worker behind the counter had called his name fore his orders. While Jon grabbed the bags, bottled drinks under his arms, he grabbed his ringing phone and exited the sandwich shop and into his Tahoe. “Hello?” “Jon, it’s Kourtney.” “Oh hey Kourtney,” “How is Karoline doing?” “She’s doing better now, we went to the doctors last Tuesday and gave us the okay to try again.” “Has she found out that you still talk to us?” “No, you and Khloe pretty much call whenever I’m alone or when she’s out. She’s about to start her last year of school, so she’ll be pretty busy.” “Alright, well thank you for doing this, Khloe and me are just worried about her health, we’ve trying calling and skyping but she would never pick up.” “She asked me yesterday if she should change her number, but I told her not too.” “I wish we could just do something and let her know that me, Khloe, Rob, Scott, and Mason miss her. Especially Khloe, she’s torn by it.” “I know what you mean, maybe you all should fly out here on her birthday. It’s in 2 weeks, so it’d be a great birthday present for her. Maybe do a surprise party.” “That would be great, well I’ll let you go, we’ll talk details soon. Bye Jon, take care.” “Alright, you too Kourt.” The two hung up as Jon was parking his Tahoe in the garage and carried the bags of food upstairs into his condo.
On the way up in the elevator, Jon thought about the surprise party and hoped that it would go well with Karoline. Bringing the family to celebrate her birthday would be good for her.

Jon unlocked his door and stepped inside to hear silence in the condo. Jon looked around and saw that the living room was empty and so was the kitchen. Jon set the bags down on the counter and searched for Karoline, after checking the balcony, bathroom, laundry room, he finally found her in the nursery sitting in the rocking chair with her eyes closed. Jon assumed she was asleep, but when he heard the faint hum of a familiar lullaby, he knew she was awake.
“Karoline, I’m home.” He said softly and Karoline popped her eyes open. “Oh my gosh! I didn’t hear you come in.” “It’s fine,” Jon chuckled, Karoline smiled softly and slowly got up from the rocking chair and hugged Jon. “It felt weird not having you home all morning or sleeping next to me.” Karoline mumbled into Jon’s chest. “I know, work out and practice was a killer, definitely should’ve worked out this summer instead of eating burgers.” Jon joked, and Karoline let out a small laugh, “Yeah, cause all those burgers went past your stomach and straight into your ass mister.” Karoline teased while slapping Jon’s hard ass. “Hey now, you’re just jealous of my sexylicious ass.” Karoline burst out into a fit of laughter as her and Jon both doubled over laughing at the term Jon just used. “Come on, I have sandwiches for us, and we can nap before heading to Sharp’s.” The two walked into the kitchen where Jonathan took out two large sub sandwiches and two salads, Karoline went into the pantry and got out her favorite potato chips along with 2 cups from the cupboard.
“What did you do when I was gone?” Jon asked Karoline as they both sat next to each other and ate in silence. “Not much, I did laundry, watered the plants, and just cleaned around the condo.” Karoline answered as she took a huge bite of her salad. “Do you think we should clean out the nursery?” Karoline said all of a sudden, “Why? We could just leave it for the next time when we try.” “Yeah, but what if something happened again if I were to not get pregnant again?” “Karoline, can we not have this conversation now?” Jon said slightly annoyed. “I’m just saying there’s no use in it, it’s just taking up space for when you brother or parent’s come down.” “Karoline.” “Okay, I’ll drop it.” Karoline surrendered and the two continued eating their lunch.
After finishing their lunches, Karoline and Jon lounged around on the sofa waiting for 6:00 to roll around; Jon lay behind Karoline as the two just laid in silence enjoying the comfort each of them held. “I love you.” Jon said softly in Karoline’s ear. “I love you too Jon.” Karoline replied in the same tone and turned around in Jon’s arms so that she was facing him and her back facing to the t.v. “I talked to Kourtney today. Before I came in here.” Jon admitted, “I know, I saw it once when you were napping, she called.” “Are you mad?” “To be honest, no. I miss Kourtney and Khloe.” “Then why don’t you call them? They miss you a lot, Kourtney has been saying that Khloe and Lamar haven’t been the same since you told them that you dropping all ties with them. They’re hurting honey.” “I know, but I know if I call them that they won’t accept my apology, Khloe can hold a mean grudge and I don’t know if she’ll forgive me, and Lamar too.” Karoline admitted. “You’ll never know unless you actually do it.” “I’ll think about it later, it’s almost 6. We should be heading out in a bit.” The two got up and the conversation left itself onto the couch saving it for later.
Karoline and Jon freshened themselves and packed an overnight bag just incase it was late that they would have to spend the night, after doing all that the two headed into the Tahoe and took off to the Sharp’s residence, ready for a night of babysitting ahead of them.

MEANWHILE IN L.A
Kourtney and Khloe sat in a café outside having lunch with Scott, Lamar, Mason and Rob. “I talked to Jonathan earlier,” Kourtney started, “He told me that the doctor gave Karoline the okay for them to try again. She’s also been doing better than she first started being.” The group nodded, “Every time I call her, she won’t pick up my call.” Rob added, “Yeah, same here. Even Lamar tried calling her and nothing but her stupid voicemail everytime.” Khloe replied with sadness in her tone. “I blame Kim and Mom for all of this. I mean the wedding is in like a week and Kim still didn’t send her an invite. I grilled her ass bout it too,” Rob explained. “Kim’s a bitch, I wish she would just take Karoline’s words and get it through that thick head of hers. Everything that Karoline said that day, it was all right. I mean they haven’t lived with each other in the same house for not even a couple months and they want to get married? I give their marriage like 5 months tops.” “I just wish Karoline would see that we’re with her. That we’re still her brothers and sisters and would be there for her.” Kourtney said. “I say we all just go to Chicago and knock some sense into her.” Scott intervened. “Well me and Jon did discuss about a surprise birthday party for Karoline in 2 weeks. After the wedding, we just fly there and just surprise her on her birthday.” “She’ll love that, even if she didn’t want anything to do with us.” Lamar added, “I mean, what better way to spend her birthday than with the people who actually care about her.” “Well that means, we keep this on the down low from Mom and Kim. I’m sure Bruce would want to be there and Kendall and Kylie.” Kourtney said, “Well then that’ll be obvious to them if everyone but them is gone.” Rob said. “Okay, how about this, we can call our New York Jonathan, have him invite Kim and Mom to New York about some business deal or whatever there for like 4 days, we fly up there while they have an early flight and then like 3 hours later, we fly to Chicago and bam! Karoline’s birthday for 3 days, come home early on the 4th night.” Khloe planned and it all seemed to work, “Then that’s the plan, we’ll tell Bruce, Kendall, and Kylie, and also we’ll get her assistants to book something for them.” The group all nodded and was excited to do visit Karoline and surprise her on her birthday. The plan was set, and Kourtney waited till the next day to call Jon about the plan they made.

SHARP’S HOUSE:

“Come on Maddy, crawl with Auntie Karol.” Karoline said in a baby voice towards the little girl on the floor who was on all fours next to the little girl, Jonathan helping her support her weight by putting his large hands on her sides. “That’s right, one hand in front of the other!” Karoline cheered as she demonstrated Maddy. Maddy followed the movement, stopped after four steps and sat on her butt and clapped her hands while laughing loudly. Jonathan laughed and Karoline collapsed next to the duo and let out a tired yawn. The couple had been babysitting with Madelyn Sharp for about 3 hours now, and it was almost time for Maddy to be put to bed. “Let’s play for another 30 minutes, then we can put her to bed. Sound good baby?” Jonathan asked as he looked down to Maddy who mimicked Karoline by sprawling her tiny arms and legs wide apart. “That’s fine, I bet she’s tired after playing outside and now in here.” Karoline replied when she let out a big breathe when Maddy crawled onto Karoline’s stomach and sat on her pressing her tiny chubby hands onto her Karoline’s face. Karoline made a funny face and blew raspberries making the young girl laugh. Jonathan’s heart swelled at the image before him, but his heart soon broke when he realized that his little girl isn’t there anymore. Tears threatned to spill when he imagined him and Karoline playing in their living room with their baby girl, he almost broke when he didn’t have a princess to call now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Here's Monday's update!
I would like to point out that yes, I know Madelyn wasn't born until Dec. of 2011 and that Kim's wedding was in August 2011, but this is my story, my fanfiction. I go with how I want it too.
So here it is! :)
Hope you like the chapter!
Comment, Subscribe, and Keep on Reading! <3
Love you guys!!!!!
-elizabethtran