Sequel: Bright Lights
Status: In the Works :]

Keeping Up With Toews?

Chapter 15. SURPRISE!

Khloe POV:
It was the day of everyone leaving to Chicago, the plans had gone well and Kourtney had managed to get our NY Jonathan to agree in letting Mom and Kim visit him for a few days, also along with booking them with pointless appearances, they left early this morning around 7, with us shortly leaving 30 minutes after them. Everyone was exciting when they heard that we were going up to Chicago to surprise Karoline in her birthday, we had told everyone in the family to keep it on the DL, by not tweeting or instagraming the trip, one tiny little mistake caught by Kim or Mom, and this would not end well. “Khloe, I don’t know if keeping this from your mom and Kim is a good idea.” Bruce said as we all boarded the plane, “Bruce, stop worrying. Jonathan promised that he would keep them busy for the four days we’re gone. They won’t notice.” With that being said, we all strapped on our seatbelts and were heading our way to Chicago. I prayed to God that Karoline would bring us back into her lives, this damn party better go great or I’m going to strangle dear old Kimmy.

3 HOURS LATER.
After the pilot had informed us that we were landing in Chicago, I was nervous. Not nervous because I was scared getting caught by mom or Kim, but on how Karoline would react. Kourtney had called Jon and informed him of our landing, he had managed to get the whole family a nice penthouse suite in his building and made sure that Karoline was still clueless to the surprise. Little Mason came tugging on my hand as we all got up from our seats, “Aunt Co-Co, are we gone see Auntie Kare?” he asked, I smiled and nodded my head, “Yes we are Mason! Are you excited?” he nodded his head quickly screaming “YES” at the top of his lungs. Everyone laughed and all exited the plane. As we all piled onto the tarmac, we saw 2 black sleek suburban’s. Jonathan had gotten out of one, and the other who Lamar recognized as Patrick came towards us.

“Welcome to the Windy City,” Jonathan said as he reached us, we all hugged eachother, gave introductions to Patrick Kane and they helped us pile our bags into their cars. In Jonathan’s car was Me, Lamar, Kourtney, Scott and Mason, the other with Bruce, Kendall, Kylie, and Rob. “Where’s Karoline?” Kourtney asked as we all exited the airport, and on route to Jon’s building. “She’s at the University right now. She has a 3-hour lecture, and another 1 and 45 minute class. She’ll be home around 3 the latest.” He said as he merged onto the next lane. Watching the buildings and skyscrapers pass by gave Mason an awestrucked face the whole ride, despite Kourtney’s protest, Mason had asked Jon a bunch of questions as to what building was what. “And that Mason, is where I work.” Jon said as he pointed to a big arena, the whole outside of the arena had Jonathan and his hockey team. “What do you do Uncle Jon?” asked Mason as we passed it, “I’m a hockey player Mase.” Jon answered with a smile on his face. But his eyes showed sadness, I frowned a little when I knew that he wished his daughter was here right now, Mason could have had a play buddy. Thinking back to the past events, I wish that Karoline hadn’t gone down to LA and had just stayed in Chicago finishing the nursery. I let out a sigh to loud for my liking, and saw Jon turned his head to my direction, “Khloe, don’t beat yourself up about it. You didn’t do any harm, none of you did.” He reassured, but that guilt feeling still resided in my stomach. Soon the car went from calm and happy atmosphere, to now gloomy and sad. “You guys shouldn’t blame yourselves for what happened in LA. It’s called an accident for a reason, no one knew and no one could’ve stopped it. Please don’t blame yourselves, it took Karoline and I weeks to get through our heads that it wasn’t our time to have a baby.” Jonathan said, his voice cracking at the end. By the time we had gotten to the parking garage, we all went into the lobby unseen and unnoticed-for the first time-by paparazzi.

“I think that’s like the first time, that I haven’t had a camera shoved in my face while entering a building.” Said Kendall. “That’s one of the best things about Chicago, the people here respect your privacy when you’re a celebrity or an athlete.” Patrick said as he helped us bring our bags up. We broke into 2 groups on the elevator, and all made our way to the Penthouse floor.
“You know, you didn’t have to pay for our suite Jon.” Bruce said as we entered the luxurious penthouse. The area was just amazing, and it even had floor to ceiling windows that showed off the entire Chicago skyline. Kendall and Kylie ran to grab their room, Scott and Rob agreed to bunk in one room, leaving Kourtney and Mason with one, Lamar and me, the other, and Bruce taking the master bedroom. Once Jonathan left us to get settled in, he promised that we would go get dinner or something when we wanted too. I told him we’d call, with that he left out the door, I fell back onto the bed, Lamar on top of me when my phone began ringing the one ringtone I hadn’t heard in weeks. Looking at it to confirm my suspicion, I saw Karoline’s goofy face with her name ringing. I drew out a long breathe, and slid to answer the call.
“Hello?” I said with a shaky voice.

“Khloe? It’s uh, it’s Karoline.” Her voice small and nervous.

“Oh hey! I didn’t think you’d ever call.” I said accidently, “It’s not like I…nevermind.” I rambled,

Karoline let a little laugh, I heard cars and people on the other receiver knowing she had gotten out of class.

“I uh, I just got out of class, and wanted to call you. I have something to say.” She said, “Okay.” I said letting her know I’m listening.

I heard her let out a big breathe, and she began talking.

“I know that I haven’t been the best sister in the world by what I said that night in the hospital, but I just couldn’t handle the realization of everything. I wish I wasn’t doing this on the phone, and I also realized that you couldn’t just come to Chicago, or me going there. I just want to say that I’m really really sorry, for everything. For shutting you and everyone out, for blaming you for the accident, for just being unappreciative of you. I guess what I’m also trying to say is that I love you, and everyone else. You’re my family and you can’t shun your family forever no matter how I wanted to, I just couldn’t handle not talking to you or Kourtney or Rob. I realized that I was alone, with no one to have a shoulder to cry on, to ramble things about, to go shopping with. I know I have Jonathan and friends but it isn’t the same without the comfort of my family. I miss you and I wish I could just take all those things I said at the hospital and just throw them away. But I can’t, that’s done, and what’s done is done. I beat myself up for blaming you. I just can’t handle this anymore. I sometimes feel that I’m going to loose Jonathan, and if I ever lost him, I wouldn’t have anyone to turn too because I didn’t have you guys anymore. I love you and I hope you forgive me.”

By the end of her apology, I had managed to let tears fall from my eyes, and I could hear Karoline on the other end trying to control her sobs, but I knew she couldn’t. “Karoline, you know that I would always be here for you. Me, Kourtney, Scott, Rob, Lamar, everyone. We’re all here for you. Yes you may have said some hurtful things, but you couldn’t contain yourself, you shouldn’t beat yourself up over something that none of us could control. You will always and forever be my little sister. You’re the baby of the Kardashians. You know that if you need anyone to talk to, I’m just a phone call away, so is Kourtney and Rob. You don’t know how much we love you. You know that you’re the rock that keeps us all together.” I told her in between my uncontrollable sobs. Kourtney was now in the room with me when Karoline had began her apology, and she too had tears falling harshly from her eyes. Don’t ever think that Kourtney and I aren’t proud of you. You’re our baby sister, and we would always love you no matter what.” By now, Karoline had broke down, her sobs had echoed in what I guessed to be the bathroom. “Karoline, honey, where are you now?” I asked her worried, “I’m in my bathroom. I skipped my last class so I could call you.” She blew her nose and coughed, “I just miss you guys.” She whispered, “We miss you also Kare-Bear. Why don’t you go take a nap, and just relax yourself alright? I’ll call you in 2 hours to check on you okay?” I told her, “Okay” she responded her voice small and frail. “We love you Karoline. So much,” “I love you too.” With that we both hung up and I let the phone fall onto the bed, and Kourtney handed me her tissues. I used them to wipe my eyes and blew my nose.

“It hurts to know how much pain that girl is going through, she’s only 24 years old and she already has to deal with tragedy.” Kourtney said as she finished wiping her eyes. “I know, but let’s just rest up, and get ready for tomorrow night. Tomorrow is a big day for all of us and Karoline.” I told her, we were all just so jet lagged, that everyone agreed we decided to stay in just in case someone would recognize us and tweet it and that wouldn’t be good. I texted Jonathan to let him know what happened and he gave us an okay and a good night.

It was now nearing almost 6:30; everyone was either in their rooms sleeping, or in the living area chilling. I was in the kitchen looking for something to cook Mason and the family. I didn’t think the kitchen would be stocked, but to my surprise it was filled to the last bit of the cabinets and pantry. I pulled the ingredients out for Chicken Alfredo and set on cooking dinner.

KOURTNEY’s POV.

After settling in, Lamar came into my room, “What’s up Lamar?” I asked him, Mason was jumping on the bed pretending to be a monkey. “Khloe is on the phone with Karoline. I think you should go in there.” He said quietly, my eyes had widened and I just nodded, and let him there with Mason and walked into Khloe’s room. When I walked in, I wasn’t expecting to see Khloe in tears, and Karoline’s voice echo through the speaker of the phone. “You’re my family and you can’t shun your family forever no matter how I wanted to, I just couldn’t handle not talking to you or Kourtney or Rob. I realized that I was alone, with no one to have a shoulder to cry on, to ramble things about, to go shopping with. I know I have Jonathan and friends but it isn’t the same without the comfort of my family. I miss you and I wish I could just take all those things I said at the hospital and just throw them away. But I can’t, that’s done, and what’s done is done. I beat myself up for blaming you. I just can’t handle this anymore. I sometimes feel that I’m going to loose Jonathan, and if I ever lost him, I wouldn’t have anyone to turn too because I didn’t have you guys anymore. I love you and I hope you forgive me.” I didn’t realize that by the end of her apology, I had let tears fall from my eyes, I grabbed the tissue box from the bedside table and wiped my eyes.

“Karoline, you know that I would always be here for you. Me, Kourtney, Scott, Rob, Lamar, everyone. We’re all here for you. Yes you may have said some hurtful things, but you couldn’t contain yourself, you shouldn’t beat yourself up over something that none of us could control. You will always and forever be my little sister. You’re the baby of the Kardashians. You know that if you need anyone to talk to, I’m just a phone call away, so is Kourtney and Rob. You don’t know how much we love you. You know that you’re the rock that keeps us all together.” Khloe said between her sobs, my tears fell even more as she said that, I sniffed and kept wiping my face. “I just miss you guys.” Karoline said, and my heart broke at the way her voice said it, it sounded like a broken little girl who just misses her family. Khloe had managed to get Karoline to take a nap and that she would call her later. Karoline agreed and the both of them hung up. I handed Khloe a tissue and she wiped her tears, “It hurts to know how much pain that girl is going through, she’s only 24 years old and she already has to deal with tragedy” I said my voice cracking, “I know, but let’s just rest up, and get ready for tomorrow night. Tomorrow is a big day for all of us and Karoline” Khloe said, and I nodded knowing that after our crying session, we were all just so exhausted and jetlagged and decided to stay in.

Khloe and I got up from our spot on the beds, threw away our tissue, and went our separate ways, her to the kitchen, and me back to my bedroom. Mason and Lamar were still there, and I smiled alittle when I saw pillows and blankets all on the floor, resembling a small fort. My mind went back to when Karoline had wanted to build a fort, and we grabbed all the pillows, blankets, and chairs from the kitchen into the living room and just made the biggest fort “known to man” as Karoline would say. Just remembering the memory made some tears fall from my eyes, I quickly wiped them and called out to Mason. “I’m in here Mommy! Uncle Lamb helped me build a fort!” he said from inside the fort, peeking his head out from what I assumed the entrance, I let out a little laugh when I saw Lamar’s long legs pop out from one of the blankets. “That’s so cool Mase! I think we should leave the fort for now, and lets go watch Co-Co cook us some dinner!” I said to him, and he quickly got out and into my arms as we both laughed at Lamar, who was having a struggle in getting out the fort with out knocking it down. When he finally did, he came towards us and gave each of us a kiss on the head. Going back out into the living room, I sat Mason down on top of Scott and he laid next to him watching whatever was on the T.V. I left those two and walked to the kitchen to see Khloe putting the noodles in the pot. “El chef Khloe is at your service.” Khloe said in a horrible accent. “Do you need help El Chef Khloe?” I played along, “No, the noodles are cooking and so if the chicken, it should be done in 20 minutes.” She said while stiring the noodles, I stood next to her, stirring the chicken. “I’m really shocked that Karoline called us, I didn’t think she would actually call us at all.” I said, Khloe sighed, “I’ve been waiting for a phone call, and now I feel so guilty. I just wish that her baby could’ve been here, to witness such a loving mother she has. Back when I first knew about her being pregnant, she told me she was so scared, that she didn’t want to be a bad mother, she was so scared, and I was there, who told her that she was going to be the greatest mother in the world to her child. Now, she can’t.” Khloe replied wiping her tears. “I just hope tomorrow will change everything, you did tell Jon about the presents right?” I asked trying to stray away from the sad conversation, “Yeah and I also contacted the spa and they will be ready for her. I made sure that Jon’s friend’s wife call the place to make sure it will be ready in time.” “Let’s just hope for the best I guess.” I said, as we finished cooking and rounding up the family for dinner.

ROB POV: THE NEXT MORNING.
After arriving last night and relaxing, today was Karoline’s birthday. I couldn’t believe that my little sister is turning 24. I’ve always loved Karoline more than Kim, Khloe, and Kourtney. She was the one who didn’t involve herself in business, who didn’t involve herself in our crazy lifestyle. I laid in my bed, looking back to all those memories we shared growing up.

“ROB! Look at the picture I took!” said a little Karoline. “That’s really cool Kare!” said an 12 year old Robert. He examined the picture from the poloroid camera that their father bought and saw that it was him, playing on the monkey bars. “Let’s take one together Robbie!” laughing at his little sister, Rob grabbed his little sister next to him, slinging his arm over his shoulder, grinning wide as his little sister snapped the picture and watching as the photo reveal itself. “You’re the best big brother in the world Robbie!”

Pulling from my thoughts, I quickly wiped my tears with the back of my hand and grabbed my phone, tapping the messages icon, I pulled up Karoline’s number, sending her a message.
R: Hey Kare, it’s Rob. I know you don’t want to talk to us, but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday! I love and miss you. Looking back on the good memories, I never really told you that you were my favorite sister. You still are.
Seeing the little “message delivered.” I waited from a text from Karoline, but knowing my hopes were going to break. When I felt the vibrate of my phone, my eyebrows rose and quickly looked to the screen to see that I had a reply.
K: Thank you Robbie, it means so much to me that you would tell me that. I’m sorry that I shut you out, you will ALWAYS be the BEST BIG BROTHER ever., I miss and love you too. <3
I was shocked that she actually responded, but I knew that she meant every word. I smiled knowing that I couldn’t wait for tonight. Seeing her surprise face will be the highlight of my entire life. I just wish our dad was still here; maybe then our family wouldn’t have been so broken. He would’ve prevented so many events happening. I sighed knowing that no matter what, he was watching down on all of us, guiding us through the hardships of our lives.

Karoline’s POV:
When I woke up this morning, I smelt various aromas fill the condo. I smiled a little bit and just laid in bed enjoying the warmth of the bed. I heard my phone vibrate on the bedside table and I groaned, I looked to see at least 40 text messages all from the guys, friends, the wives and girlfriends, and then my family. I saw Rob’s name first and quickly slid it open to read it.
R: Hey Kare, it’s Rob. I know you don’t want to talk to us, but I just wanted to say Happy Birthday! I love and miss you. Looking back on the good memories, I never really told you that you were my favorite sister. You still are.
My eyes got watery as I read what he wrote; I quickly sent a reply to Rob.

K: Thank you Robbie, it means so much to me that you would tell me that. I’m sorry that I shut you out; you will ALWAYS be the BEST BIG BROTHER ever. I miss and love you too. <3

Closing out that text, I began replying to all my other messages sending them a simple Thank you and I love you’s. I was just finishing texting Abby, Emma, Bella, and Kelly asking for a girls afternoon, when Jon came in wearing nothing but his boxer briefs. “My dear queen, I have been summoned to bring you to breakfast!” He said in a poor medieval accent. “Jon, seriously?” I said trying to contain my giggles, he walked to my side of the bed and quickly picked me up bridal style and ran to the dining area, where I saw at least dozens of flowers in many vases, and presents already wrapped and placed on the end of the table. He put me down in a seat, where a plate already stood filled with food. The bacon, eggs, and hash browns had a message written saying “I LOVE YOU”, grabbing my phone; I quickly took a picture of it, and posted it on instagram. When I was on my last bite of my eggs, Jon handed me an envelope with my name written in familiar writing. “From someone you love,” Jon told me. I tore open the envelope and saw two pieces of paper in it, a letter, and a certificate to one of the most expensive spas in all of Chicago. I opened the letter, my hand flying to my mouth,

Dear Kare Bear!
If you already haven’t noticed, but the gift certificate is for you, we know you deserve this spa and we hope you take full advantage of it. We LOVE you Kare Bear. So much.
Love,
Kourtney, Khloe, Rob, Scott, Mason, Lamar, Bruce, Kendall, and Kylie.


I smiled as I took the certificate; “I am to drop off Queen Karoline, at exactly noon Madame! So I suggest you quickly brush your dentures and be ready to be pampered!” I shook my head at Jonathan, but listened to him as I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and change into Jon’s Blackhawks shirt, and a pair of leggings, with my black and hot pink Nikes. Jon quickly ushered me to the lobby, getting a quick ‘Happy Birthday’ from Ben, and he nearly dragged me to the Tahoe. He drove me to the ‘Elizabeth Arden: Red Door Spa’ and my jaw dropped, I couldn’t believe my family did this for me. Jon quickly got me out and into the building where someone with a glass of champagne on their tray. “We’ve been expecting you Miss Toews.” She said, she handed me my glass, and led me to the back.

6 hours later.

After being pampered practically all day, I was finally done. My body has been relaxed, my hair, nice and soft, and healthy as ever. My nails perfectly manicured, and I just felt so alive and refreshed, I smiled when I saw Jonathan at the door of the lobby, smiling softly at me. “Now that my wonderful girlfriend is all pampered, I shall take you back home, and get you dressed, and to the restaurant.” He told me, he ushered me into the tahoe once again, and drove back to the condo where I saw a bright red a-line dress and black Louboutins lined on the bed. I quickly put on the dress and heels, not bothering with touching up my makeup, and just added my red lipstick. Jonathan stood once again at the door, but this time in his black slacks and a dark ruby buttoned up shirt. “Are you ready Kare?” he asked, I did a once over and nodded my head. We went back down to the lobby and saw that he had the Mercedes already parked at the valet. “Looking lovely Miss Karoline! Enjoy your night!” said Ben and we were in the Mercedes.

When we arrived at ‘Alinea’ I just shook my head, “Seriously Jon?” “What? Today’s your birthday and you deserve the best.” He said, he walked me in, and the hostess led us to a private room, inside the room was dark and when Jon quickly put a blindfold on me, my sight quickly leaving me. He put his arms around my waist and walked me straight. “1…2…3” he counted and he quickly took the blindfold off as I heard a big “SURPRISE HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” erupt and my hand flew to my mouth, I couldn’t believe the sight before me. Here in Chicago, stood not only my friends, but my family. I nearly burst into tears as Mason ran towards me and kissed my face. “Happy Birthday Auntie Kare Bear!” he yelled, I laughed and hugged him tightly. My friends and family came towards me and they hugged me one by one. When I reached Kourtney and Khloe, my tears couldn’t wait, and they spilled out like a hurricane. “Happy Birthday Karoline.” They said and they hugged me tightly. “You guys, I can’t believe you’re here!!” I squealed, everyone laughed and we all sat down in the private room, each enjoying the night. After eating dinner, the staff came in with a huge birthday cake, and the traditional song was heard, but it was a little off tune when Kaner, Scott, Lamar, Rob, and Brent sang off key. I blew the candles and everyone cheered, the staff took the cake away and began cutting it up.

I was finishing my last bite, when Jon stood up from his seat. He tapped his glass and called all of us to attention. “I’d like to thank all of our friends and family in coming to Karoline’s birthday and making it so special for her. I’d like to thank Karoline’s family especially for planning the surprise party. As another part to your present, I just want to tell you Karoline. That these past 2 years has been the absolute best, better than winning the Stanley Cup. When I first laid my eyes on you, I knew that I wanted to be with you forever and ever.” I stared at Jon, my heart beating at a 100 mph. Jon got something out of his pocket quickly and got down onto one knee. “Karoline Elizabeth Kardashian, will you do the me the honor and make you my wife? Even if you already changed your last name?” The last part made me laugh along with the audience, I shook my head yes, and Jon took out the beautiful and simple engagement ring, replacing the infinity ring with it. He slid that ring onto my right finger and he picked me up and twirled me around.
I smiled brightly at the people in the room, my friends and family were here with me. They were the ones I will always count on. They were my forever and ever, but Jon would always be the ‘You and Me.’
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I've been thinking of this being the last chapter. I am ofcourse doing a sequel starting with a new year, and some new drama, and wedding plans!

So let me know on this chapter! It was 18 pages on word, and I hope you guys love it!
Thankyou to everyone who commented! subscribed, and recommended the story!
LOVE.LOVE.LOVE.LOVE.
you guys
:)
<3