‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Rock Shows & Wedding Bells

“Has anyone seen my suitcase?”

I looked back and saw Joanna looking around the hotel room.

“What one?” Aden asked.

“The big blue one! The one with all my clothes in it!” Joanna replied.

“Are you sure its not in here?” Lexi asked.

“Yeah! I’ve checked everywhere I can!” she replied.

“Look don’t get excited. Why don’t you go check down in the lobby? Maybe you left it there.” I suggested.

“Right. Lobby. I’ll be right back.” she said and grabbed a key card from the dresser and headed out of the room.

“So where did you hide it?” Katie asked once the door was closed.

“It’s in Craig’s room.” Aden replied with a devious smile.

“He’s here already?” Lexi asked.

“Yeah. He got here yesterday. She’ll never find it.” I replied.

“Great!” Katie smiled.

Besides being my first show back with the band it was also the day we were launching mission ‘Get Joanna Married’. Craig had approached Aden and I a few days after i'd gotten out of rehab and told us he wanted to marry Joanna and he wanted to make it special. After a lot of discussions we had finally decided to do it during Feature Fest when she would be on stage with A7X playing 'A Little Piece Of Heaven'.

Unbeknownst to Joanna Craig had flown in 2 days previous under the guise of heading to meet Leila. In truth he did go and meet Leila but only long enough to pick her up at Gabby’s and fly out to LA with her, Max, Monte and Robert. Now they were 3 floors above us, hiding out in a suite reserved under a fake name.

A second later the door swung open and Joanna came marching in, her face twisted in anger.

“It’s not fucking there! What the fuck am I supposed to wear? We don’t have time to go back to the airport!” she replied.

“Joanna chill. You can just borrow some of Lucy’s stuff.” Lexi replied.

“Exactly. Here’s a shirt.” I said and tossed her a white one with a skull on it.

“And jeans!” Katie replied tossing her a pair of white ones from the bottom of my bag.

“Oh! I bought a new lip ring that’ll look awesome with that.” Aden said and pulled a silver lip ring still in the package and handed it to Joanna.

“Oh my god! You’re lifesavers!” Joanna said and hurried to get dressed.

I guess she was too pissed to noticed that the clothes were pretty much her size. I hadn’t worn clothes that small in months thanks to the fact I had double the spawn. We’d bought and stashed them in my suitcase so she would have something to wear. She was getting married so she needed clothes that were all white. It was as close to a wedding dress as we could get without giving the surprise away.

While she was in the bathroom changing we grabbed the tank tops we’d bought and put them on. They were black wife beaters that read ‘Bad Ass Bridesmaid’ on them. Over that we pulled t-shirts over them so she wouldn’t see. Over it I wore a black shirt with guns on one shoulder, my favorite skinny maternity jeans I could stand and black sneakers while Aden wore a shirt with a Union Jack flag on the front, jeans and Converse. Finally Lexi wore her favorite Vampira shirt, black jeans and leopard print heels.

“I’m going to go check on the guys and make sure everything is going down okay. If Joanna asks tell her I went to grab a soda.” I replied.

“Gotcha.” Lexi said giving me a thumbs up.

I grabbed the extra Bridesmaid tank top we’d bought along with a key card, a bag with an assortment of sewing things and left the room. The ride up to the guys room was pretty short and I hurried off and walked to the room.

I knocked and a few minuets later the door swung open to reveal Max.

“Hey!” he smiled.

“Hey baby.” I replied and leaned in, pecking him on the lips.

“C’mon in the guys are watching TV.” he said and took my hand leading me into the living room area.

When I walked in I saw the guys watching some action flick.

“Lucy’s here!” Max yelled plopping back in the only empty spot.

“Hi Lucy!” Leila smiled turning from where she sat on her father’s lap.

“Hey LeLe.” I smiled ruffling her blonde hair.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“This is a present for you.” I smiled.

“Ooh! Gimme!” She said grabbing for it.

“Leila what do you say?” Craig said.

“Oh! Sorry! Please?” she replied.

“Here you go baby doll.” I said and handed her the tank top.

“What’s it say?” she asked.

“It says ‘Bridesmaid’.” I replied.

“I get to be a bridesmaid?!?” Leila asked.

“Yes Ma’am.” I smiled.

“Yay! Thank you!” she yelled and jumped from Craig’s lap and wrapped her arms around me as best as she could with my baby bump.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” I laughed hugging her back.

“When are you and Uncle Max getting married?” she asked looking at me.

I smiled, “We haven’t decided yet honey. Probably not till after the babies are born though.” I replied.

“Aww…boo.” she said and scrambled down and disappeared into one of the bedrooms.

“So what was with the fabric stitched over the top?” Craig asked when Leila was out of the room.

“It said Bad Ass….I thought it would be a little more PC for a 5 year old to not have it written on her chest.” I smiled.

“Very good thought.” he laughed and the door to the bedroom opened.

Leila appeared and it was obvious that the shirt, though an extra small, was still too large.

“It doesn’t fit.” she said poking her bottom lip out.

“Well then we’ll just have to fix that.” I said holding up the bag.

I sat cross legged on the floor and had Leila stand in front of me. Pulling out a pair of scissors I snipped the sides and safety pinned them in place. After that I had her go change while I threaded a needle. When she brought the shirt back to me I quickly and tightly whipped stitched it along the seam before having her go put it back on.

“Perfect fit.” I smiled when she walked out.

“Thank you Lucy!” Leila said and began to dance around the room in her new tank top.

“You’re welcome baby doll. Alright I’d better go before Joanna realizes how long I’ve been gone. Telling her I got lost only works if I’m not gone forever. Come help me up babe, Monte you too. It’s murder trying to get up.” I said.

Max and Monte grabbed my hands and hauled me up from the floor.

“Thank you. Now to get back to the room.” I replied.

“Wait! Lucy c’mere.” Craig said and beckoned me towards the bedroom Leila had come out of.

I followed and when I walked in I found Craig searching through his suitcase. A moment later he pulled out a polished wooden box. Smiling he walked over and handed it to me. I opened it and felt tears press on the backs of my eyes.

The ring was white gold with 3 diamonds in the center and smaller ones on the sides. It was perfect. It was Joanna.

“It’s beautiful.” I smiled wiping away a stray tear.

“Really? You think she’ll like it?” he asked.

“No. I think she’ll love it.” I replied.

Craig smiled and hugged me, “Thanks Lucy…for everything. You and Aden and Lexi had been a huge help. You’re all great with Leila and I can’t imagine pulling this off without out you three.” he said.

“It’s not problem Craigifer. Besides without you and Joanna I don’t know if I’d be here or not.” I smiled.

"Y-You don't think I'm bringing this on to fast do you? I mean I haven't even asked her to marry me yet and I want to do it tonight." He said.

"Craig she loves you. Of course she'll say yes." I said.

He smiled and kissed me on the cheek.

“Hey you moving in on my girl?” Max asked playfully.

“Maxy you know I’m always your girl.” I smiled and pulled him in for a long kiss.

When I broke away I knew I had to leave or risk Joanna asking questions. I pecked Max on the lips one last time, hugged Craig, ruffled Leila’s hair and threw a quick goodbye to Robert and Monte before ducking out of the room. I just hoped that Joanna wouldn’t realize I was gone.

When I got back to the room everyone was finishing up their makeup and hair.

“Where did you go?” Joanna asked.

“Down to get a soda.” I replied.

“…Where is it?”

I cursed myself for forgetting to bring a soda back with me. The guys had been drinking them why hadn’t I grabbed one?

“Oh uh…I got lost. This fucking hotel is massive. You wouldn’t believe it.” I said.

“I know! I got lost trying to find the fucking lobby!” Joanna replied and turned to finish her eyeliner.

I sighed in relief before starting in on my makeup. Twenty minuets we were on our way to the venue on our rented bus.

It was a huge out door festival with thousands of people attending. We parked in the large parking lot that was in the back among the dozens of other busses. Less than 10 minuets afterwards there was a knock on the door.

Caleb answered it and a few moments later Johnny, Katie, Brian, Matt, Jimmy and Zacky climbed on the bus. They had come out to see us that day. Aden smiled and kissed Brian and Lexi kissed Jimmy.

“Hey Matt.” I smiled and stood up hugging him.

“Hey Luce.” he replied hugging me back.

“How’s the babies?” he asked putting his hands on my belly.

“Um…hyper?” I replied with a laugh.

“So what times do we all go on?” Caleb asked biting into an apple he’d found somewhere on the bus.

“Well there are like 3 bands up first then Aden goes on with Ludo. There’s a band after them then you go on with Disturbed Cay. After that there are 2 bands and then we go on. Right after that I’m up with MSI and then immediately after us is Lucy with Asking. Then we have a 3 band break and then Joanna goes on with Avenged to close out the show.” Lexi replied reading a text from her phone.

“Aww! I wanted to see you and MSI.” I frowned.

“I know.” she frowned back and hugged me.

“Shit! Does anyone have any idea what time it is? Aden you’ve gotta get to the stage to warm up.” Brian said checking his watch.

“Really? Fuck! Alright. I’ll see you guys in a bit.” she said and hurried out of the bus.

“So how about we go and get good spots?” Johnny suggested.

“Sounds good to me. TO THE STAGE!” Joanna said and headed for the door.

By the time Joanna and I managed to waddle our way to the stage Ludo was just about to go on. We’d only be doing one song at a time with the band we were performing with so we had a few songs to go through before Aden came on. About half way through the lead singer called Aden out to sing with them. In hand she had one of the red rhinestone mics that we had for Lexi to pick from.

A few minuets later they started ‘Love Me Dead’. Katie, Joanna and I sang along vigorously along with Aden who was being herself and prancing around the stage doing outrageous movements. The crowd when crazy and even more so when the song was over and she took her bows.

“That was fucking amazing!” Aden gushed as she hurried to stand with us.

“You were amazing!” Lexi smiled and hugged her.

“Well I had better go and warm up. Later peoples.” Caleb said and left.

Disturbed was amazing and Caleb rocked it out on ‘The Night’. When he came back we headed back to grab our gear and get ready to go on.

We grabbed our stuff and warmed up and soon it was time to go on. I wasn’t going to lie. I was a little nervous. It had been 4 months since I’d been on stage. I’d done so many shows on drugs that I wasn’t sure I quite remembered how to play sober. However I had to do it. There was no way I couldn’t.

I was seriously getting ready to have a panic attack as we stood waiting for the roadies to finish setting up. My nails were bit to quick and my stomach was churning, the babies rolling around having felt my nerves. Just as I was sure I was either going to barf or bail my back pocket rang. I pulled the phone out and glanced at the screen. It was from Max.

From: Max
Baby calm down. You’re going to do great. You get out there and play your heart out. You. Can. Do. This. I love you.


I smiled and texted him back.

To: Max
You’re a good fiancée you know that? You know me so well.


From: Max
I can see you babe. Look up and to your left.


I followed his instructions and saw him and the guys standing just out of sight. He waved and I wanted to wave back but was scared that Joanna would see him and it would be ruined.

We got the signal that it was time for us to go on and everyone but me hurried on stage.

Lexi grabbed her microphone as Aden and Joanna began to play a random tune on their guitars while Katie played a soft beat on her drums.

“How are you doing LA?!?” Lexi screamed into the microphone and the crowed roared back.

“Alright we have a surprise for you today! All of you have probably followed the stories and know the whole story of how we lost our bassist Lucy recently. And for the past few months we’ve had a new member of our band…Joanna’s brother Ray. However as much as we love Ray it just wasn’t the same without Lucy. So after 4 long months of treatment and constant love and support not only from us but all of you we are happy to bring back one half of our rhythm section please welcome back Lucy!!!!” Lexi screamed and the crowd lost it.

I ran out and was almost deafened at the noise. I gave a quick bow and took my place on stage.

“Before we begin I just wanna say thank you to all of the fans. Your letters and gifts were amazing to both me and Max. We’re truly grateful for all of your support. Now lets make these babies in Joanna and I’s bellies fucking mosh!” I screamed.

A few seconds later Aden kicked off the first song and every worry I had disappeared.

We played for the next 45 minuets and it was amazing. It ended all too soon and it was time for me to head to the warm up tent.

“Good luck girly.” I said hugging Lexi.

“You too hon.” she said hugging me back.

With that I bid my friends goodbye and headed to the warm up tent. I could hear the sounds of a band warming up from inside and took a deep breath before walking in.

When I entered Danny, Sam and James looked up.

“You’re Lucy right?” Sam asked.

“That would be me.” I smiled.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Sam.” he said and walked over and shook my hand.

“Wait…you’re Lucy? You’re like 8 months pregnant.” Danny said looking down at my stomach.

“Uh…5 months actually.” I replied.

“Point is you’re really going to on stage?” Ben asked.

“Yeah. I just did like an hour long show 10 minuets ago. I think I’m fine. I mean the doctors at my OBGYN office and the ones that I saw before I left rehab both assured me that as long as I didn’t like stage dive or hand walk the babies would be fine.”

“Okay is it just me or did she just say she was in rehab and there’s more than one baby in there?” James asked.

“Is there a reason that you guys are like really against me joining you on stage? Like seriously? Yes I was in rehab for drugs and no I didn’t know I was pregnant when I was doing them. I found out that I was a little over a month along when I went in. And yes I’m having twins that would be why I look like a fucking whale when I’m hardly 5 months along. Now are we going to sit here and talk about the fact I’m packing around a couple of kids or are we going to fucking go on and rock the faces of the people who paid good money to hear their favorite bands play?” I asked.

“You’re sure you’re not going to like drop one of those kids on stage?” Danny asked.

“Yes! I’m fine! I will be fine!” I replied.

“Alright then lets run through a few things.” Danny said.

We discussed who would sing what parts in The Final Episode. I had gotten to pick the song and that was my favorite hands down so it had been an easy pick.

After we were clear on everything I stood back and sipped water. I had warmed up before we’d gone on and now it was just about keeping my voice warm.

Finally it was time for us to head up to play. I stood on the side stage watching the guys play. I knew almost every song they had and it was much better watching them from the side stage than it was watching from the pit.

When the show was almost over Danny climbed up on the riser.

“Alright you crazy mother fuckers we’re about to tear this shit up. The is fucking Feature Fest and today we have a guest here with us by the name of Lucy Patterson from Shattered Halo. C’mon out Lucy and introduce the song!” Danny yelled.

I picked up the black rhinestone covered mic with a skull on the front that our roadies had dropped off and walked out to roars from the crowd.

“What the fuck is up Los Angeles?!?” I yelled and the people screamed.

“Fuck yeah! Anyhow I’ve been listening to these guys since I was 19 and it’s fucking awesome as hell to be able to stand up here and sing with them! Now the song we’re about to do is going to require a little help from ya’ll!” I continued.

“Ya’ll?” Danny asked looking at me.

“Yes I’m from South Carolina. I have a southern accent at times. Do you have an issue with it Worsnop?” I asked.

“No not at all. Continue.” he said smirking.

I flipped him off and turned back to the crowd, “Now I know most of you are going to know the words but if you don’t it goes like this ‘OH MY GOD’!” I screamed into the mic.

“Got it?” I asked and they cheered.

“I think they got it Luce now lets get this rolling mother fuckers!” Danny said and the guys kicked in.

The crowd was on point for every ‘OH MY GOD’ and responded great. We split the screaming and since I couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket Danny sang the bit that were actually sang. I had fun bouncing around the stage like I had lost my mind. Usually I was stuck with a bass around my neck and it was limited as to what I could do. Even if it was harder to jump and prance while hugely pregnant I didn’t care.

When the song ended I took my bows with the band and we hurried off stage so they could set up for the next band.

“You’re pretty good. Better than I thought you’d be.” Danny said as we headed off the side stage.

“Thanks. And I didn’t have a baby on stage.” I replied.

“That you didn’t. And if those two can do anything like you and whoever it’s dad is they’re going to fucking amazing. Which one of the Avenged Sevenfold guys is the dad anyhow? I heard your whole band were dating the guys.“ he replied.

“We used to. Joanna was dating Zacky Vengeance and now she’s dating Craig Mabbit and I’m engaged to Max Green, both of Escape The Fate. I used to date M. Shadows who is the father of one of my babies.” I replied.

“One?” Ben asked.

I gave them the glossed over version which they seemed to get.

“That’s fucking mental.” James said.

“Welcome to my life dude.” I smirked.

I bid then goodbye and headed to the bus. When I got there Aden and Lexi were waiting for me already in their bridesmaid tank tops. Matt had dragged Joanna out to grab a hot dog leaving us enough time to get things set up. I quickly changed into my bridesmaid tank top and pulled a hoodie on to hide it like my friends. I texted Craig and he, Max and Leila were waiting with Monte and Robert just off the side of the stage where they couldn’t be seen.

I had just confirmed with them when Joanna and Matt came walking back into the bus.

“Brought you a hot dog. You were kick ass by the way.” Joanna said handing me a hot dog.

“Thank you and THANK YOU I’M FUCKING STARVING!” I said and took the hot dog and began to devour it.

“Well we’d better get to stage.” Jimmy said.

“Agreed. We still gotta warm up.” Brian said.

We headed to the warm up tent and watched as the guys warmed up before going on. Aden, Lexi and Katie gave them all kisses before they went on and I high fived Matt as did Joanna. Since Zacky didn’t get either, Jimmy took it upon himself to give Zacky a kiss on the cheek.

The guys were amazing and soon it was time for Joanna to go on. She grabbed the purple violin Aden and I had chipped into buy her the previous Christmas and headed on stage.

They announced her and she ran on stage. A few moments later she rested the violin under her chin and brought the bow up to the strings. The song started and we got ready. Craig, Leila and the guys hurried up the stairs.

“When do we go on?” Craig asked. He was dressed in a pair of black jeans, a black t-shirt with a tux print on the front and black on black converse high tops.

“Five minutes and ten seconds in.” Robert replied.

“Yes. Avenged boy here is right.” I said. Robert was probably a bigger A7X fan than me, Lexi, Aden, Joanna and Katie put together.

“Or when they start the part where Matt starts singing where he’ll make it up to the girl.” Aden replied.

“Right.” Craig nodded.

“You sure you wanna do this Craig you look like you’re going to be sick.” Caleb asked.

“Yeah. I’m sure. It’s just…a little nerve wracking.” he said with a nervous laugh.

“Craig she loves you. Everything is going to go fine.” Aden assured him.

“Well it had better be fine now because it’s time.” Lexi said.

“Alright! Here!” Monte said and handed us the bouquets the guys had picked up. They were purple, Joanna’s larger than ours.

“Alright lets go.” Aden said and we headed out.

As we walked out Joanna looked at us surprised and when she saw Craig her eyes lit up. Without a word I reached up and took the violin and bow from her hands and handed it off to a roadie as Aden handed Joanna her bouquet.

The music went low as Craig took the mic from Matt and turned to Joanna.

“Joanna I love you so much. You’re wonderful with Leila and treat her like your own and I know you’ll love our baby just as much as you love her. You’re beautiful and spectacular and I don’t want anyone else. Ever. Will you do me the favor of being my wife today? On this stage? Right now?” he asked pulling out the ring.

Joanna looked the ring in the box for a moment and glanced at Aden and I.

“Answer him slut muffin!” Aden hissed.

“Yes!” Joanna yelled.

Craig stood up and kissed her before turning to Jimmy.

“Rev will you do the honors?” he asked.

Jimmy jumped up and ran over to us as Caleb took over on the drums and the guys started playing again.

He smiled as the song reached the right part.

"Do you take this man in death for the rest of your unnatural life?"

Joanna smiled, "Yes I do." the line flowing perfectly from her lips.

"Do you take this woman in death for the rest of your unnatural life?"

Craig grinned, "I Do."

"Well I now pronounce you man and wife." Jimmy grinned.

Craig slipped the ring on Joanna’s finger and kissed her and the crowd lost it.

Aden, Lexi and I wrapped her in a hug with Leila wrapping herself around Joanna’s leg.

After the song ended everyone bowed to the crowd and we walked off stage.

“OH MY GOD! HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!?” Joanna asked.

“Since like 2 days after I got out of rehab.” I smirked.

“AND YOU GAVE ME NO HEADS UP?!?” she replied.

“No! It was more fun this way.” Aden smiled.

"AND THIS IS REAL RIGHT? I MEAN HE'S THE REV BUT CAN HE LEGALLY MARRY SOMEONE?" Joanna asked.

"As of Sunday yes." Lexi grinned.

"Holy shit! I'm fucking married!" Joanna grinned.

That night we put Craig and Joanna in a car and waved them off. They were heading to the airport where they were going to head to Cabo for 5 days. Leila would stay with Max and I in the hotel room we’d gotten in LA.

As we watched the cab head out I felt Max put his arm around my waist and kiss my temple.

“I love you.” he smiled.

“Love you too.” I grinned and rested my head on his shoulder.

I sighed and smiled. We were next in line to get married it seemed. However as wonderful as watching Joanna and Craig get hitched was I knew that I could wait. Right now Max and I were perfect just as we were.