Status: Complete.

Coffee Break

Zack.

[Zack]

A few weeks passed after my idiot brother made Martin feel bad. I’m still slightly annoyed with him, to be honest. Yeah, I know he’s just looking out for me, but I’m 22 years old – I can decide who I like and who I don’t, for fuck’s sake! Luckily my dad was on my side for this incident, so Sam had to fund our coffees and lunches for a week. He apologised to me too, which I guess makes it a little better. He is my brother and I do love him after all.

But Martin is Martin, and I won’t have him made to feel insignificant to me in any way.

I meant it when I said I wanted him in my life. Sure, I’m still working on my issues, but I know I like him. And knowing he likes me is all I need. We still text multiple times a day and haven’t stopped, and it’s nice knowing that I have someone I can talk to without ever feeling awkward or strained in conversation. We just have so much in common that it’s quite refreshing, y’know? He really is something special.

Today is August 24th, and I thankfully have a day off work. I think I’m going to spend the day taking photos around town of people enjoying the summer sun and of how beautiful nature looks in this light, before relaxing in the evening. That’s what I love about summer – there’s just such an ease about it that makes people happy. That makes me happy.

Like always, I headed to the gym first thing in the morning. But, unlike always, I bumped into Alex in the foyer. Uh, what is he doing here?

“Hey Zack!” Alex said cheerfully, smiling widely.

“Uh, hi Alex,” I nodded, shifting my bag higher up my shoulder, “I didn’t know you went to the gym,”

“Just joined today. I’ve been complaining about all the weight I’ve put on from the leftover cake from Coffee Break so Martin suggested I join this gym because you seem to like it so much and it makes you look amazing,” Alex said enthusiastically.

“Martin said that?” I found myself smiling.

“With a dreamy look in his eyes and all,” Alex laughed.

I can picture that. Bless him. And I’m taking it as a good thing.

“Well, Chizzy and Butcher know what they’re doing, so I’m sure you’ll be fine,” I told him.

“I hope so. I just want to make Ri...guys look at me like I’m not a piece of lard, y’know?” Alex grinned.

No, I don’t know. I’ve never allowed myself to put on weight. But I just nodded to make him feel better, and he smiled.

“You should come to Kyle’s birthday at Barnaby’s tonight,” Alex said suddenly.

“E-Excuse me?” I said, confused.

“Kyle’s celebrating his 23rd birthday tonight and I think you should come. I know that Martin would want you there,” Alex said innocently.

I couldn’t help but smile at the thought of spending extra time with Martin. But then I shook my head. No-one else would want me there.

“I can’t. My dad, Sam and I always eat dinner that I cook at the same time every night and then we watch Sports together until the early hours of the morning. That’s how it’s always been,” I mumbled.

“Oh. You couldn’t do something different for one night? I know Martin would really appreciate your company and I think it would be good for the two of you to see each other out of work. He would have a much better time if you were there,” Alex pouted.

I chewed my bottom lip. I mean…it would be nice to see how Martin acts outside of work…and if Alex invited me it’s not like I just turned up of my own accord, is it? And if he would have a better time if I was there…

“Well, I’ll think about it,” I said eventually.

“Ahh yay! I promise you’ll have so much fun. We’re getting to Barnaby’s after 9, so come any time after that,” Alex told me.

“Maybe,” I nodded.

Alex grinned and walked out of the gym. I just sighed and shifted my bag further up my shoulder, before heading towards the changing room. Why do I have the feeling that I’m going to regret agreeing to this?

*

I told my dad about going out to celebrate Kyle’s birthday. I was half-hoping he’d say that he didn’t think it was a good idea. Unfortunately, he seems to think that it’s a great idea for me to go out and socialise with people other than Chizzy and Butcher. Great. Thanks dad.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of spending more time with Martin. It’s just that…none of his other friends would talk to me if it wasn’t for him. He’s the only reason they bother – and I don’t want to look or feel like an idiot tonight, I really don’t.

I ended up outside Barnaby’s at 10pm, dressed in a simple grey v-neck that hugged my muscles in all the right places and a pair of black skinny jeans. Fuck, why am I doing this?! Martin. Only for Martin. With a deep breath, I pushed open the door and walked inside, instantly hit by the sound of loud rock music and the smell of old beer. Well, at least it didn’t fall silent as I entered.

Shame everyone turned to look at me though.

I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment, standing awkwardly near the door as I glanced around the bar to see if I could see Martin, or Alex, or anyone. But I couldn’t. Fuck. What if this was all a joke? What if they did this to make fun of me? I didn’t think Martin could be like that, could he? He wouldn’t be that cruel, would he?

Fuck, this is stupid. I knew I shouldn’t have come. I can’t see anyone and I was just a fool and I’m going to leave. Stupid, stupid Zack. Fuck it all. With a sigh and a heavy weight of shame filling my body, I turned around to leave.

“ZACK!”

I froze. Alex. Holy shit, they are here. I turned around and smiled nervously as Alex bounded over to me from the bathroom, a wide grin on his face. Oh wonderful. He’s getting close to drunk already. Lightweight.

“You made it! I didn’t think you were going to come!” Alex said happily.

I shrugged.

“Where are you guys sitting? I haven’t been able to find you,” I asked, shoving my hands in my pockets.

Oh, John and Kennedy hired out the back room for all of us, sorry! We’re out there!” Alex apologised.

Well, that explains it. At least I know that they weren’t just hiding to make a fool out of me. I knew Martin couldn’t be that cruel.

“I’ll get a beer and then I’ll join you?” I suggested.

“I might as well wait with you!” Alex grinned.

I shrugged and headed over to the bar. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad not walking in by myself again. I ordered my beer and waited for the bartender to uncap it.

“$3,” he said.

I nodded, handing over a $10 bill.

“Martin’s been kinda moody all day. I think you being here might cheer him up,” Alex said suddenly, as the bartender handed me my change.

“Is he okay?” I frowned.

“Yeah, I think it’s just because you had a day off work and didn’t come in for your coffee,” Alex grinned.

I rolled my eyes. Martin couldn’t get that affected by my absence, could he? I followed Alex out the back, down a short corridor and to a door where there was loud music and loud laughter sounding. Huh. This must be them. He winked at me before pushing the door open. I swallowed nervously before following him in. One by one, everyone’s heads turned in my direction, surprise and shock on their faces. Great. Just fucking great. Alex didn’t tell them that he invited me. Thanks a fucking lot, Alex.

Kyle stood closest to us, with John and Kennedy next to him. Then Paul, Jack, Taylor and Rian were sitting at a table. Right at the back of the room were William, Gabe and Martin. Huh. Their entire group of friends is here. Great.

“Uh, happy birthday, Kyle,” I said awkwardly.

“Thanks!” Kyle said cheerfully, although his eyes still looked confused.

I forced a smile and turned to face Alex.

“Go and tell him that you invited me so I don’t look like a creeper,” I muttered so only he could hear.

Alex laughed. “Sure thing. Go and sit next to Martin so he won’t be sulking all night,”

I rolled my eyes but headed over to the table where Martin was sitting with William and Gabe.

“Hi,” I said softly, smiling at the shocked boy.

“H-Hi! I didn’t know you were coming!” Martin said, eyes wide.

“Alex invited me this morning. I thought he would’ve told you guys but apparently not,” I frowned.

“He told me,” William shrugged.

Well, at least someone else knew.

“And you didn’t tell me?!” Martin gasped.

“And have you spend even more time getting ready and primping yourself? I don’t think so,” William scoffed.

Martin pouted, making them laugh. I just frowned.

“I think you look good,” I murmured in his ear.

Martin blushed slightly.

“Thanks,” he replied shyly.

“Oookay, why don’t we get another drink while these two whisper more sweetnothings to each other, huh Bilvy?” Gabe announced.

Martin blushed even more and I scowled. Nice. Not.

“Is he always like that?” I frowned.

“Pretty much. Gabe doesn’t really think before he speaks. Apparently it’s a turn on for Bill, but it can get a little annoying sometimes,” Martin said, embarrassed.

I sighed but nodded. Duly noted.

“Are you okay with me being here?” I asked softly.

“W-Why wouldn’t I be?” Martin squeaked

“Because you don’t look very happy about it?” I offered.

“I am! I swear! I just…I didn’t expect you to walk in here with Alex and I was just shocked! I’ve never seen you outside work before and…well, I don’t really know what to do,” Martin admitted.

“I’m still the same person,” I frowned.

“I know, but I don’t want you to think that me outside the coffee shop is a complete dick compared to me inside the coffee shop. I’m not exactly the most social person – I lived on my own like a fucking hermit before Alex moved in!” Martin exasperated.

“And I’m a social person?” I mused.

Martin giggled softly, making me smile. That’s more like it.

“I’m glad I decided to come tonight,” I said softly.

I really am. I shouldn’t have ever thought that seeing him outside work would be awkward.

“Me too,” Martin replied warmly.

I smiled a little wider, relaxing a little into my chair, when Alex arrived at the table with Kyle, John and Kennedy. Great. Just when I had Martin to myself. But I smiled. There’s no need for me to be rude. It is Kyle’s birthday after all.

“Alex told me he basically emotionally blackmailed you into coming tonight so I feel like we owe you a few shots in compensation,” Kyle grinned.

I guess he kinda blackmailed me with the mention of how much Martin would appreciate my company. And I guess I can’t turn down a couple of free shots.

“Only if you have a shot too,” I shrugged.

“I think you’re going to fit in here just fine,” John laughed, clapping me on the shoulder.

Martin just sat silently as we stood up to go to the bar. Why does he look so sad? Does he think I’m going to go off with his friends and ignore him for the rest of the night? I’d never do that. Not to him.

“Are you coming?” I asked softly, extending my hand to him.

“You want me to?” Martin asked, surprised.

Of course I do. I just nodded and smiled, so he hesitantly took my hand, letting me pull him along with us. Fuck, his hand is warm. And fuck does it feel right linked with mine If I can fit in with Martin’s friends, then maybe I might have a chance with Martin after all.

Just maybe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh Zack and Martin finally socialise outside of Coffee Break!
This can only mean good things, right?
The next chapter is the first of a two-chapter section, in which Martin asks Zack for something special for his birthday...

Thanks to everyone who commented on the last part! Please keep it up!

kew_atl
emmarulez
KshoOwh
rebeccs13
jojo13617
O.o?
pixie dusttt.
BOOM!roasted.
miss.sobriety
Forever Young.
Hello Fascination.
YourCrazyDisire
JonnyCraig
JessicStar
Ace Lightning.

xo