Status: Complete.

Coffee Break

Martin.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MARRRRRTIN,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!”

I groaned at the sound of loud singing, and pulled my pillow over my head. I could’ve sworn I locked the front door last night. September 9th. My birthday. Fucking fantastic.

“Rise and shine, birthday boy!” Alex trilled, ripping my pillow away.

Ah. Of course. I don’t live alone any more. Fuck.

“We’ve made pancakes and fruit and chocolate sauce and my speciality low-fat hot chocolate and you have to get up now!” William grinned, pulling my duvet away from me too.

“What if I had been naked?” I grumbled, pushing myself upright.

“I have a camera, so it would’ve been your loss, not mine, doll,” William winked.

“I hate you. I hate both of you,” I growled.

“We love you too. Now get up!” William laughed.

“We’re going out in an hour and you have presents to open!” Alex added.

I yawned, sighed and nodded. In my experience it’s easiest just to go along with whatever William plans. Especially if it’s on my birthday. Even if I hate celebrating it.

*

An hour later, just like William and Alex promised, we were out the house and driving into town. I have no idea what we’re doing today, but as long as it’s low key and doesn’t involve moving, I’m fine. Knowing my flaming friends, none of that will actually happen.

As soon as I got out the car, I saw Gabe, Paul, Rian, Jack, Tay, Kennedy, John and Kyle walk towards us from their cars. After a round of hugs and birthday wishes, Alex tapped me on the shoulder.

“There’s someone else here too,” he murmured in my ear.

He nodded behind me, so I turned around, my breath hitching in my throat when I saw Zack standing shyly a little way away. Without hesitating I pushed my way through my friends to get to his side, glad that they were far enough away so they couldn’t hear us.

“I can’t stay long. I’ve got to go to the wholesalers to pick up the order for the store,” Zack said wistfully.

“It’s great just to see you, no matter for how short a time,” I mumbled, blushing.

Zack laughed softly and smiled, only making me blush a little more. I can’t believe I just said that. Fuck I’m such an idiot.

“So I hear it’s your birthday today?” Zack asked, sliding his hands into his pockets.

I looked over my shoulder and narrowed my eyes slightly at Alex, who just smiled innocently, so I looked back at Zack and nodded. I hate celebrating my birthday and Alex damn well fucking knows it by now.

“Yeah, it is. I’m 24 today,” I admitted reluctantly.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Zack frowned.

I blushed slightly. Although I can’t stop myself telling him every miniscule detail about me, there are some things I’d rather not talk about.

“I don’t like celebrating my birthday,” I mumbled.

Zack laughed softly. “Why not?”

“I don’t like getting reminded I’m getting another year older?” I offered.

Partly true. The other part is that birthdays involve family and I don’t actually remember the last time I even got a birthday card or phone call from my parents, not even through college. Fuck them.

“You’re only a year and a half older than me,” Zack pointed out.

I grimaced slightly. Still too old for my liking.

“Exactly,” I grumbled.

Zack just laughed again.

“Alright sourpuss, what do you want for your birthday?” Zack mused.

I bit my bottom lip. There’s only one thing (other than Zack naked, sweating and writhing on my bed) that I would possibly want, and I don’t think he’d go for it.

“It’s stupid,” I shrugged.

“Humour me,” Zack replied.

I sighed, running my hand through my messy hair, my cheeks colouring slightly. I guess if he really wants to know…

“What would you like for your birthday?” Zack repeated, smiling softly.

I swallowed heavily and smiled nervously up at him.

“I’d like you to go on a date with me tonight,” I murmured.

Zack’s eyebrows shot upwards, making me panic slightly. I shouldn’t have said that. I shouldn’t have fucking said that. Martin you idiot! But then he smiled. He smiled. That’s got to be a good thing, right? Right?!

“Okay, sure. I’d like that,” Zack nodded.

Holy. Holy fucking shit. Someone get me a chair. Zack…Zack said yes to a date? With me?! I just about managed to get enough oxygen into my brain to reply.

“G-Great! Um, I’ll pick you up at 6?” I asked hopefully.

“Can you make it half 6? I always make dinner for my dad and brother at 6, so I’ll need a little extra time to get ready,” Zack apologised.

Fuck, he can take all the extra half hour he wants, if he’s actually going to go out on a date with me. Holy fucking shit.

“Half 6 is perfect. Um, text me your address yeah?” I suggested.

“Yeah, okay. I’ll see you later then. Happy birthday, Martin,” Zack said happily.

I just about stopped myself from fainting as he kissed my cheek goodbye, not taking my eyes off him as he walked away. In all of two seconds, I was surrounded by Alex, William, Gabe, Paul, Rian, Jack, Tay, Kennedy, John and Kyle.

“Dude, are you alright?”
“Yeah, you look like you’re going to pass out,”
“What did Zack say?”
“What made him so happy?”
“Am I going to have to kick his ass?”

That last one snapped me into focus, and I rapidly shook my head.

“N-No, you don’t have to kick Zack’s ass,” I managed to choke.

Gabe. Huh. I should’ve known it was him. Probably on William’s persuasion but still. No-one kicks Zack’s ass. Tay pushed her way to my side and passed me a bottle of water, to which I smiled gratefully. It’s times like this when I love her overflowing handbag. Jack always needs her travel medical kit for when he walks into things. They should just hook up already. Huh. Anyway…

“Well…what did Zack say?” William prompted.

“Alex told him it was my birthday so then he asked why I didn’t tell him and I kinda explained that I don’t like celebrating and then he asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I asked him out on a date for tonight,” I rambled.

“Woah, you asked him on a date?!” Paul exclaimed.

I nodded shakily, still not quite believing it.

“Holy shit, congratulations Martin!” John laughed.

“I can’t believe you actually grew the balls to ask him out!” Kennedy grinned.

“Me neither,” I laughed weakly.

“Well, where are you going to take him?”
“Yeah, what are you going to do?”
“Ooh, you should take him to the Aquarium!”
“Nah, that’s a second date place – they should go to Tanger Outlets!”
“Shopping? On a first date? Fuck no!”

My head swam as everyone started yelling suggestions for mine and Zack’s date tonight. Why didn’t I think this through?! I have no idea what I’m doing! A sharp whistle made everyone stop talking, and I turned my head to see Alex smiling triumphantly. Of course.

“Thanks, Lex. Guys, Marty is nervous enough without us all jumping in. We’ll casually and calmly help him decide throughout the day, not all going crazy at once. After all, this is the first date our little boy has been on in years,” William cooed.

I glared at him. Thanks for reminding me. Not.

“Tay, I need you to come over to Martin’s apartment with me tonight, where me, you and Alex will give Martin final prepping before his date. No-one else, because I want to keep his nerves down to a minimum,” William added.

“Way to make it sound like a military operation, cariño,” Gabe teased.

William smiled apologetically at me, but I just shrugged. I know he means well.

“How about we go out and have some fun today, huh?” Kyle suggested.

I knew I was friends with this crazy blonde for something.

“Sounds good to me!” I said as cheerfully as I could.

Anything to keep my mind off the chaos that tonight would bring…
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...

The actual date will take place in the next chapter!
I'm open to suggestions - if I really like any of your ideas, I'll replace the ones I already have! Just remember, they live in Riverhead, New York, which isn't the biggest place ever, but still has a few things they could do.
Oh, and you'll find out what happened to Zack in his past in the next chapter...

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Some of your comments really make me laugh =] keep it up!

pixie dusttt.
Forever Young.
miss.sobriety
O.o?
kew_atl
BOOM!roasted.
BeautifullyTattooed
emmarulez
Mikey Whiskey Hands.
JessicStar
Ace Lightning.
rebeccs13
KshoOwh

xo