Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 5/pt. 4: Confidante (2/2)

“---And CUT! Okay, I think we got that one!”

I straightened my posture and blinked the water out of my eyes as I waited for an assistant to give me a towel. The filming of this scene had taken a lot longer than originally anticipated but I managed to pull it off with a few takes. Apparently, the director wanted to try different angles to see which shot was better. I was glad that everything was shot with a view from my waist up, allowing me to wear a pair of trim swim trunks. I can’t imagine standing on set naked for such a long time.

One of the male assistants trotted over and handed me a towel. I thanked him quietly before wiping my body down and pulling on the bathrobe he was holding out to me. With that I stepped out of the shower set and down to where the director was sitting. As I approached, he was still reviewing the previous take with careful eyes.
“Hmmm…” he was humming thoughtfully. I didn’t really like the tone he was using; he didn’t sound particularly happy.
“Director Oh, should I do another take?” I asked. “I can do it again if you need it…”
The director looked up at me and blinked, as if just realizing I was standing right there.
“No, I don’t think that would be necessary.” he said. “I rather like your expression and posture; it fits the scenario fine.”
He then turned back to the screen and pressed the replay button.
“But I’m not too thrilled about the lighting…the angle is much better.” he said, seemingly more to himself.

I kept my face clear of any expression but I felt a disappointed feeling in my gut. That was what the director was playing around with for the last few takes.

“Here, come take a look.” the director said.
Obediently, I stepped up to the monitor and watched as my character Han peeled off his clothes and step into the running hot shower. The angle was much better as he had said; instead of a parallel angle, the camera was set slightly lower than my hip level and angled up to the frame so it daringly showed from the curve of my hip bone to the rest of my torso. It created the illusion of me being completely nude. It also showed a better angle so the expression on my face was captured better.
“I think it’s a good take,” I said. “But if you’re not satisfied, I can do that scene exactly the same way---”
“No, it’s fine. I’ll take a look again once it’s edited with the other scenes.” he said.
Just then, Sun Hi came up to the director’s chair, carrying the clothes that had been left on the scene.
Isa-nim, are we all set, or are we doing another take?” she asked.
Director Oh sighed and sat back in his chair.
“No we’re all set. I can make this work.” he said. “Good job with the outfitting for Han. Your aunt should be proud.”
Sun Hi beamed and bowed her head appreciatively.
Kamsamnida, director!” she said.
She glanced up over at me with that excited smile. I nodded and smiled right back.
“Then I will be changing for the next scene,” I told the director. I bowed and turned to start towards my dressing room.

“…Ah, Seo. Wait.” the director called.

I turned around and saw the director getting up from his chair and approaching me. What was this about?
Director Oh gave a discrete look around the set at the workers before he spoke.
“Mr. Park has been keeping me updated about everything.” he said. “How are you holding up?”
I stiffened a bit but forced myself to relax.
“I’m doing okay. Thank you for your concern.” I said. I glanced back at Sun Hi, who was looking over at me curiously from a few feet back. “It’s tough but I’ve talked some with a friend and they have been helpful and supportive.”
“If the detectives give you any more trouble about your innocence, you send them to me.” he said. “You have nothing to worry about; I’ll vouch for you.”
I smiled at his enthusiasm and bowed my head.
“Thank you, again. But I think they fully understand my standing and innocence now.” I said politely. “I’ll keep you updated though.”
I gave the director one last bow before moving back to my dressing room. Sun Hi was waiting for me just a bit ahead.
“What was that about?” she asked curiously.
I glanced over at her and saw her expectant expression.
“I guess my manager told him about the detective that was being pushy.” I said vaguely and quietly.
Sun Hi made a face, the same one she had made when I first told her about Detective Choi.
“Ugh,” she said again with distaste. “The nerve of that man though. It really makes me boil just thinking about the way---”
“Hey, take it easy. I don’t want everyone to hear.” I said, cautiously looking around. “But it’s alright. Choi has his reasons to hate me…even though they aren’t the most logical.”
“And what might those reasons be?” she demanded, sounding angry. “It’s not right, how he acted towards you. I don’t understand; how can you be so understanding when I’m this pissed?”
I shrugged, running the towel through my hair quickly as I walked.
“I kind of have to.” I said. “I don’t think I have enough energy to be angry on top of dealing with the other stuff, you know?”
Sun Hi hummed, and though she sounded slightly dissatisfied she didn’t press it any further.

We reached my dressing room, and I just pushed in without knocking. As I expected, no one was in there, leaving the two of us in the room to speak freely.
“Hey, what am I wearing next, boss?” I joked, heading over to the changing stall.
“Hmmm, boss. I like the sound of that.” Sun Hi joked right back. She pulled a hanger off of the rack and walked it over to me. “Here; I’ll get your belt and other accessories in a minute.”
I nodded and took the items she was holding out to be before stepping into the stall. I pulled the curtain closed and shrugged out of my robe. As quickly as possible, I changed into the dry set of clothes. Since I was barely wearing anything for the last scene, it was fast and easy. I pulled the shirt on last and stepped out of the stall.
Sun Hi turned around, her arms full of multiple belts, and watches. To that I raised an eyebrow.
“You’re not telling me to wear all that, are you?” I said.
Sun Hi rolled her eyes and gave me a dry smile.
“Of course not, you idiot. I’m coordinating with the whole look.” she snorted. She held up a brown belt to my waist, scowled a bit before holding up the darker one to my waist. “What’s this next scene again?”
I shifted where I stood, adjusting the waist of the jeans I had been put in before Sun Hi swatted my hand away.
“It’s a quick scene. Han is getting ready to go see his doctor again. “I said. I thought about is a bit before I went on. “There’s also not going to be a whole lot of lines so I need to convey his emotions through expression.”
“Which is not going to be a problem,” Sun Hi said, comparing another belt to my outfit again. “What’s on the guy’s mind?”
“Well, he dying; the experimental treatment isn’t working and he feels that he already knows what the doctors are going to tell him.” I said. “Also, he’s keeping that fact a secret from Hye Rin. He feels burdened and cornered, and also trying to suppress his true feeling about the love interest.”
“Okay,” Sun Hi said, setting one of the belts aside. She then moved onto the watches and picked out the dark chrome one from a box. “I think this one would work the best. Give me your wrist.”
“Actually, could you set those up on the set?” I asked. When Sun Hi gave me a strange look I explained. “Han is getting ready for his doctor’s appointment. I want to start the scene from where he’s getting dressed.”
A thoughtful look came across the girl’s face and she blinked.
“Huh, cool. That’s pretty creative.” she said. “Do you get to make calls like that though?”
“I can make suggestions as to what I think Han would do.” I explained. “I talk it out with Director Oh to see if we can make both of our ideas work.”

Sun Hi nodded, and picked up the belt she had set aside.
“Sounds like a plan to me.” she said with a grin. “I’ll bring these and the jacket over to the set. Just don’t lose your pants on the way there.”
“Thanks,” I told her.
I watched as she shifted through the rack again briefly before pulling a jacket off a hanger. She slung that over her arm also and turned to start heading out the door.

“Hey, Sun Hi.” I called out.

Sun Hi stopped and turned around, a questioning look on her face. I scratched the back of my head awkwardly before spitting out what I wanted to say.
“Thanks for listening to me… and actually believe me.” I said. “I mean it.”
Sun Hi blinked, a surprised look coming across her features. But she then smiled.
“Sure. Any time.” she said.

With that, she let the room and closed the door behind her, leaving me in a silent room. I sighed, turned back to the chair in front of the mirrors and sat down. On the corner of the counter was the script of the episode that was currently being filmed, my scenes bookmarked with colorful post-its. I reached for it, even though I knew every line and breaths on the pages.
My mind drifted back to the conversation between me and Sun Hi. It was a relief being able to talk to a person like that and trust that the information was safe. I’ve only known the girl for a few days but I knew that I could trust her; she seemed to be the type of person that holds herself to her word.
I then found myself thinking about what she had said, about me trying to talk it out with K. I can try to make a deal with her, or something I suppose. It was already bad enough to be told multiple times, that she was hired for my protection, not to get along with me. I knew that… and I also know that the situation was serious. To be perfectly honest, I was a bit embarrassed with the fact that I had to be told so many times.

I sighed, and gave myself a look in the mirror.
I’ll have to talk to her, even if it hurts.

Image


“Good work today!”
“Good work!”
“Take care on the way home!”

I heard the workers calling to each other as we called it a night. The clean-up was done swiftly, and you can tell that everyone was tired. It had been a pretty long day, especially since all the scenes shot were indoor shots. It was almost too easy to lose track of time; before I knew it, it was already past six.
I shrugged on my jacket and sighed, enjoying the comforts and familiarity of my own clothes. Gathering all of the clothes I wore for the last scene, I returned it to the rack and just hung it at random. Checking to make sure I had returned the belt, the watch and other accessories, I gave myself a quick once over in the mirror before grabbing my bag.
“Good work today,” I heard Sun Hi’s voice from behind me.
I looked over my shoulder and saw her with her arms filled with more clothes, hanging them on the rack quickly. I nodded.
“Good work today to you too.” I returned. “Ready to head out?”
“Yea, almost.” she replied. “Thank god, I’m so tired!”
“Tell me about it,” I said. “Do you need help with anything?”
Sun Hi hummed thoughtfully, looking over at her clothes rack.
“No, I just need to stop by the store room.” she said.
“I’ll walk with you then.” I said. “We can head out together.”
To that Sun Hi shrugged.
“Sure, sounds good.” she said.

We stepped out of the dressing room and started to head towards the store room.
“So, what are you up to now?” I asked. “Do you have a lot of work to do for school?”
Sun Hi shook her head.
“No, I took care of most of it during break.” she said. “I’m just going to go home and sleep.”
I smiled, shaking my head.
“That actually sounds like a great plan.” I said.
“What about you? Do you have another job scheduled for today?” Sun Hi asked.
“No, I can go home now.” I replied. “I’m going to try and talk to K.”
Sun Hi stopped and glanced at me, her eyes studying me curiously. She then looked around briefly before she spoke.
“That’s good. I really hope it works out.” she said, sounding sincere. “In all seriousness, you need this to work out.”
I nodded, suddenly getting a little tense.
“Just be careful of what you say,” she went on. “Otherwise you might end up on the floor again and I don’t want to have to keep on covering up your bruises.”
I scoffed and rolled my eyes.
“Thanks for that. I’ll keep that in mind.” I returned sarcastically.

We got to the store room and Sun Hi knocked once, before stepping in.
“Good work!” she called inside the room cheerfully.
“Good work!” some people called back.
I waited for her outside the door, leaning on the wall.
A person rushed out, nearly running into me.
“Oh, sorry.” I apologized, bowing and stepping out of the way.
The girl looked up, and I recognized her as one of my usual make-up assistants.
“Oh! I’m---I’m sorry!” she said, her eyes going wide. She ducked her head in a hasty bow, but I saw that her face was turning red.
“No, it’s fine. Good work today.” I said.
The girl blushed again, and I saw a shy smile creeping up on her lips.
“Ah, thank you, you too… ah, did you need something from the store room?” she asked.
I was about to answer that I was waiting for someone when another person came out of the room.
“Okay, all set.” Sun Hi said, pulling on her coat as she balanced a ridiculous amount of stuff in her other arms.
“Here, I got some stuff.” I said, taking the biggest bag from her and slinging it over my shoulder.
“Thanks,” Sun Hi said gratefully. She pulled on her jacket and adjusted her scarf. “Oh, Lee seonbae, good work today.”
This Lee person blinked at Sun Hi and glanced at me quickly, and I didn’t miss that startled look on her face. She quickly recovered though with a weak smile.
“Ah, Sun Hi…good work today.” she said.
Sun Hi bowed her head respectfully and then turned back to me.
“Should we head out then?” she asked.
I nodded.
“Yea. Let’s go.” I said. I bowed one more time to the girl and started down the hall with Sun Hi.
“Should I carry more stuff?” I asked, eyeing her burden.
“No, I’m good.” she said, hoisting her other back higher on the shoulder. “Thanks for helping me out.”
“No problem…” I said. Then a thought occurred to me. “Hey, how are you getting home?”
“The bus, why?” she replied.
“I can drive you home you know.”
“Nah, it’s fine. The bus practically drops me off right in front of my mansion.” she said. “My younger sister will be waiting for me. If she sees you, she’ll freak out and won’t let you leave.”
I nodded.
“If you’re so sure.” I said.

We exited the building, the cold air immediately swallowing us whole. The sun was still setting, and I could already tell tonight was only going to get colder.
“Here, I can take my bag.” Sun Hi said, tugging on it from my shoulders.
I handed it back to her without resisting.
“You sure you don’t need a ride?” I asked. “That load is bigger than you are.”
Sun Hi laughed, shaking her head.
“I’m fine. This is mostly all of my school stuff.” she said. She looked past my shoulder and waved. “I think your manager is waiting for you.”
I looked over to where she was looking and saw Mr. Park walking over to me. When he got closer, he smiled at Sun Hi and bowed his head respectfully.
“Good work today.” he said.
“Good work,” Sun Hi replied.
I frowned.
“Where have you been all day?” I asked. “I barely ever saw you on the set.”
“Oh, I was there; I was mostly talking to the director. Then I had to make a few calls.” he replied. “But other than that, I was there.”
Sun Hi laughed lightly, and she grinned.
“Well, I gotta get home.” she said. “Drive safely and see you tomorrow!”

She gave us a final wave before turning and starting towards the road. I heard Mr. Park breathe out tiredly beside me.
“We should probably start heading back too.” he said.
I nodded and followed my manager to our car without saying another word. Mr. Park took the driver’s side, which I didn’t mind because I was a bit tired. I slipped into the passenger side seat and clipped in my seatbelt.
No one spoke as Mr. Park pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road. The car was silent aside from the radio playing at a low volume, allowing me to think to myself.
I needed to talk to K, but how would I start? Barging into my apartment and demand to talk was probably not going to go smoothly. So what do I do? Walk up to her and awkwardly say ‘hi’? No, that’s just weird. I don’t want to do this. I don’t like this idea. Hell, then why was I doing it?

I sighed, staring out the window and at the city lights that passed by.

Because I need the protection. Because I needed to be kept safe. It was pitiful, but what other option do I have right now?

“Mr. Park, do you have K’s number?” I asked.
I didn’t have to look at him to feel his surprise.
“Ah…yea. In my phone.” he said, reaching into his jacket’s inner pocket. “Here.”
He handed me his cell phone, not saying or questioning about me asking for this. I flipped open his phone and found his phonebook. It didn’t take long for me to find the number.

Bodyguard

I pulled out my own phone and typed in the number. All I had to do now was press CALL.
But I found myself instead staring down at that number hard, not wanting to make this call. I was on the verge of closing my phone shut when I remembered what Sun Hi had to say.

“I know I’m a new friend, but I do want to know that you’re safe…And if that means having this evil, crazy murderous monster of a bodyguard protecting you, I think it’s what needs to happen.”

I sighed heavily, dread setting like dead weight on my chest. Then, without thinking about it I pressed the green button and held the phone to my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's a longer chapter...sorry about the length, the writing got a bit out of hand. XD
But the plot line is progressing and I can assure you that in the next few chapters, there will be more drama and trouble for the characters...

I'm a bit conflicted about this "episode"-- Confidante. I tried to put in a bit of humor and a bit more of Sun Hi's character in the (1/2) chapter. But since what Jae-Sung is going through is rather dark and serious, I don't know if the flow of that chapter felt unnatural.
I mean, Sun Hi is a bright character in the way she is very strong-minded and tries to keep people cheerful. I hope I got to express that...

Please guys, let me know how I'm doing. I really want to know if I'm telling the story without confusing anyone. It helps me grow as a writer also so even a little feedback would help a load. =)

Happy reading!