Status: Slow update but I promise it worth to wait ;)

A Wonderful Surprise

I Swear This Time I Mean It

He slowly approached by her front door, sighing loudly before knocking on the door. But he canceled his action as he sighed again. It seemed like he didn't ready yet to face her.

“Come on, Garrett, you’re doing the right thing! Man up!” He said to himself. Letting out another sigh, he finally knocked on her front door.

Two minutes waiting, the door finally opened. His best friend showed up wearing an apron. “Sup?” She simply asked. She left with the door opened as she heard the timer ringing from the kitchen.

“What are you baking?” Garrett asked as he sat on the island.

“Cupcakes,” she answered shortly. “Pat’s family is going to have a gathering so he asked me to bake some for the kids.”

Mary was done taking out a tray and putting another one in the oven when she put off her cooking glove. She looked up to her best friend and crossed her hands, “What do you want?”

Garrett pouted, “You don’t have to be that rude, I won’t steal your cupcakes.” Mary kept looking at him without changing her expression and it made him looked down. “I—I want to apologize,” He finally said.

“You didn't do anything wrong,” Mary said after several seconds. “You did great last weekend. I honestly enjoyed the show. I’m sorry I didn't see you after the show, though.” Garrett could catch a disappointment on her words and that made him more feeling guilty.

“Mary, you know well why I’m coming here,” Garrett said. “I was drunk, I didn't know that she would drag me to the bar and offered me that many of shots. I couldn't even handle that. I’m so sorry, Mary. I really apologize. Not only because I was drunk and I was wasted, but also because what I did with her.”

“Who is her? And what did you do?” Mary asked like she didn't know anything. Garrett glared at her making the girl looked away to the oven, pretending to check the timer above the drawer.

“You gotta be kidding me, Maria,” Garrett sighed, “how could you still playing dumb? How could you still pretending like you don’t know anything and you don’t care about that?! How could you fucking do that, Mary?!” Garrett started to lose his temper. He stood up and walked to where Mary leaned on the kitchen table, didn't dare to look at him.

“I know you know everything, Mary. I know you’re upset, and I apologize for that. I am really sorry for everything. I was expecting you to scream at me because you’re really mad for what I did. It is fine, Mary, it really is. I was wrong, it was my fault. It’s okay if you want to blame me, you don’t have to hide your feelings!”

Mary closed her eyes, still didn't dare to face her best friend beside her. The tears started to fell from her eyes as her body started to shake. She’s had enough of holding her emotions by her own and this time she couldn't take it anymore. Mary slowly fell down to the floor as she kept crying. She covered her face with her hands and pulled her knees, didn't want anyone to see her like that even though Garrett was there before.

Garrett himself was surprised to see Mary. He never had seen Mary like this before. It was his first time to see Mary so broken, even worse, because of him. He only stood there seeing the broken girl, but then he sat beside her, embraced her like how a best friend should've done. Mary resisted him at first but Garrett’s embrace was really warm and the way he soothed her was comforting. They stayed on that position for some moment, Garrett let Mary calm herself down on his embrace as he kept rubbing circle on her back, and no words came out from any of them.

Garrett was going to take this moment to speak again, but the timer rang and Mary quickly got up to take the tray out from the oven. She made herself busy with the cupcakes, ignoring Garrett who was awkwardly sitting back on the island. He sighed and quietly blaming himself for making the moment more difficult. But what could he do? Garrett was also tired of Mary’s playing dumb game and he went too far to show it.

“Mary,” he called. “I—“

“I’m sorry,” Mary cut him suddenly. Garrett turned and saw her leaning on the table, still looking down. “I didn't mean to make you mad. I just didn't want to disturb you or getting too much onto your own business. I admit I was upset, I didn't like seeing you drunk—I didn't like seeing you doing that with her. But I thought you also wanted to have fun with her, because Haley said you two are together again. If that’s right, now what’s my right to get mad?

You’re my best friend, Garrett. I only want to see you happy. I don’t like finding frowns on your face, or sadness on your eyes. I’d better pretend that I don’t know anything than to see you like this. I’m so sorry for being like this.”

Mary finished her words as she wiped her eyes once more. She didn't realize that Garrett was approaching her until she felt his arms around her. He kissed the top of her head, hissing that he apologized for one more time. Mary slowly nodded and enjoyed being on his embrace. She couldn't deny that she missed this kind of hug from her best friend, so she just let him hugging her, didn't want to let go.

“Mary,” Garrett called her again, “I need to make a confession.”

Mary looked up as Garrett caressed her cheek. His face was showing a nervous expression as he closed his eyes and moved closer to her, slowly pressing his lips to Mary’s. It was soft, it was gentle, it was a kiss that she never imagined before. The kiss didn't go so long though, they ran out of breath as they separated quickly. Mary glanced to the boy in front of her and saw that he turned his face away, trying to hide his red face. Touching her own cheek, Mary could feel the warmth as she believed that her face was as red as Garrett.

“What was that, Gare?” Mary asked slowly, the situation was awkward and she needed a little explanation. Garrett didn't answer her, though. She let him wandering around his mind until she called him again. “Garrett Daniel Nickelsen…”

“I love you.”

“What?”

“I love you, Mary. I love you, not Rachael. But it’s not like a best-friend love, it is more than that. I mean—I want to have a further relationship than just your best best friend. I—I am sorry but I really love you and—“ Garrett blurted out his feeling but he then lost of words. His eyes widened and then closed, thinking if he should continue his words or not.

Mary in other hand didn't give him any responses. She was shocked, obviously. He didn't know that Garrett really had a thing on her. Now that Garrett had spilled it all out, she understood why Garrett could be overprotective—more than a best friend should be—sometimes. She understood why Garrett hated it so much when she was with Nick. It was not a boy protecting his best friend; it was a boy being jealous of someone who could've taken his love away. She understood everything now and that boy in front of her must’ve waited so long to ask her out just because they’re in this best-friends bond.

“Mary—“ Garrett slowly called her again. He approached by her and took her hand gently. “It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life—to confess my feelings to you. But it’s true, I promise. I love you and I’ll never let you down again.”

Garrett looked at his best friend as he squeezed her hand gently. Although he didn't ask for an answer, he was still curious about Mary’s feeling to him. He was afraid that Mary didn't feel the same thing, just as how he thought before. Mary herself didn't dare to look up; she was busy with her own mind. She might not deny the feelings she had for Garrett, but she’s never been sure about that. Was her feeling as same as his or it’s just like how a best friend should be? It was confusing that she never wanted to keep it in mind. But the way Garrett told her everything made her thinking about that again, and she didn't know what to do now.

“To be honest,” Mary started, “I love you too, Garrett.” She stopped there. She could feel Garrett’s responded by holding her tighter. She let out a sigh before spoke up again. “But this is not right. The timing—I don’t think it’s the right time. I’m sorry, I really am. I need time to think about these all.”

Mary was waiting for Garrett’s response. She was ready for another disappointment speech from Garrett. But nothing came out from him. They just stood there in silence, no one wanted to break it up. Both of them had their heads down, thinking about everything happened today. They hoped everything would be easier on them, but this was the hardest moment of their God-knows-how-long relationship.

“It’s okay, I understand.” Garrett finally said. He hugged his best friend for one last time, it was the tightest one, and said, “Thank you for letting me know, Mary. I’m sorry for making this hard, but I’m glad we had those words spilled out.”

Garrett could hear Mary whispered sorry between the hug as he rubbed her hair, telling that everything’s fine. He kissed her hair and said his good bye, telling her to take her time as he informed her that he would be hanging around Jared’s house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to say that this is another favorite chapter of mine. I put a lot of emotions while writing Garrett's part :") I hope this can be your favorite too. Please tell me on the comment box if it is :)

Anyway, there you go, they spilled it all out. Happy now, shippers? Or you hate me instead? Please don't be, I already have in mind what'd happen to this couple and I promise you'll love it :D

Ciao!
-Vany